PDA

View Full Version : Great News everyone! :)

adl011
01-04-2010, 11:00 AM
Hey guys,

I haven't been on in a while, but it's because I was so busy with family stuff with the holidays. I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas and a great beginning to the New Year!

I have GREAT news. My husband and I just found out we're going to be having a baby in September. The 13th to be exact. I'm 4 weeks and 2 days! I'm so excited. I "knew" before I actually took the test on Saturday, because I've had morning sickness (ALL DAY) for about a week now, and I've been so tired. My husband was in disbelief a little, since what happened last time, but this one is official. I went to the doctor and everything. I have another appoinment soon, and then I'll have to find a doctor here in town because my OB/GYN is in Arkansas, and I haven't found a new one yet since I officially moved here to Louisiana. We're not telling any family or friends yet just in case something bad happens. I'm praying everyday this little baby stays healthy and develops fully over the next 36ish weeks. Please pray for us. We're going to have a new addition to our little family.

I'm so happy I can hardly put it into words. We've only been trying for about 5 months now, and we were expecting it to take about a year. We're both VERY happy to have this little baby. With God's help, we can defy all odds, most drs told me I may not be able to have children, and God is blessing us with this little baby. I know it's early, but I will be praying that God will allow this little baby to stay inside me and develop into a full-term, healthy baby.

I hope everyone is having a great week! I am so excited to be able to share my good news with all of you! :laugh:

~Amanda

Serenity81
01-04-2010, 11:06 AM
Amanda,

Congratulations!! That is great news.

Good luck finding your new OB/Gyn. Make sure you're looking for one who is comfortable with high-risk cases. I'll be keeping you and your family in my thoughts and prayers. Looking forward to welcoming your little one next fall!

Take care of yourself.

rob
01-04-2010, 11:10 AM
That is really great news Amanda! That is indeed a great way to start the new year. I will keep you all in my thoughts, and well wishes.

Rob

Saysusie
01-04-2010, 12:24 PM
Such wonderful news Amanda and we will ALL be praying with you!! Many, many congratulations to you and your husband and we are looking forward to September 13th!!

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

magistramarla
01-04-2010, 09:19 PM
Congratulations Amanda! That is great news. Take good care of yourself. Get the right combination of rest and exercise. Eat plenty of protein, since the baby needs it to grow. Take folic acid, too. Go to the health food store and get raspberry leaf tea. It's an old midwife's "pregnancy tonic" and it really works to make the uterus healthier. It's also a great-tasting tea to keep you hydrated.
How is your back doing? I don't recall hearing about the results of your MRI. I still haven't had mine.
Happy Baby!
Marla

SandyR
01-04-2010, 09:59 PM
Congratulations Amanda!!!!! That is some fantastic news!

abbasgirl
01-05-2010, 12:55 PM
YEAAAAHHHHH! Woo hoo! Congratulations to you and your husband! How awesome! Thank You Lord!

Will keep you and your baby in my prayers, Amanda. ((((Hugs))))

adl011
01-05-2010, 01:33 PM
Thank you all so much for your support. I found an OB who specializes in high-risk pregnancies today! She (1st time I've ever had a woman OB/GYN) seems really nice, and I've heard many wonderful reviews both online and from former patients. I'm very happy about that. Also to update on my back, I have an appointment on Feb. 1st for my back, but as I'm sure you guys can understand, that appointment is definitely taking a back-burner to my first appointment for our new baby. :) I'll keep you guys all updated, and I'll give you a definite due date from the doctor. I could be anywhere from 4-8 weeks right now because (sorry TMI) my cycle was kinda off last month but I didn't really think about it, so I didn't test. The doctor will tell me for sure on the 22nd because I'll be atleast 6 weeks then.

DrinkofWtr
01-05-2010, 04:37 PM
Congratulations, Amanda. I am excited for you.

Leksie
01-05-2010, 08:54 PM
Congratulations!! We are in the same boat... Always think positively and I'll keep your family in my prayers.
Natasha

BonusMom
01-05-2010, 09:09 PM
Congratulations! What a wonderful way to start the new year!

MicRoMediC
01-06-2010, 07:49 AM
WOO HOO! Congrats Amanda! I'm sure everything will be fine. Don't forget to not overwork yourself. Enjoy the most precious thing life has to offer!

adl011
01-18-2010, 10:51 PM
Okay, so the year started out great for us with the new baby and all. I found out on Jan. 2 that I am pregnant! but then Jan. 3rd, my step-father went to the hospital, which is rare because he NEVER goes to the dr. He had two completely blocked arteries in his abdomen that cut off all blood flow to his legs. Monday, Jan. 4th, he had a double by-pass on one leg and a single on the other. He came out of surgery fine. He didn't have to have an amputation like we thought, however, Monday night his kidneys started failing and the dr didn't know why. He was put on oxygen because his O2 stats were low, but he was conscious and not in too much pain. That's the day I told my Mom about the baby, so she and Waldo (my step-dad's nickname) could celebrate the good news from the surgery and the baby at the same time. He was VERY happy to hear he would be getting another grand-child. Tuesday morning Waldo didn't wake up. He had a heart attack, and the doc. couldn't figure out why. They put him in a medically induced coma to figure out what was wrong with him, and rushed him back to surgery. His colon was completely blocked due to the lack of blood flow and had to have over half of his colon removed. he was stable, but was put on 100% life support. Wednesday the dr thought he was doing better, but he quickly got worse. Another heart attack and a stroke within hours of each other, and his catheter was full of blood instead of urine. He wasn't looking too good at this point. We went to Arkansas, my husband and I, to be with my mom. I had to come back to Ruston on Thursday night for class because I had a test and my husband had work. (He has a big conference presentation next weekend for a $5 million grant for the school, so a lot is riding on him working.) Thursday morning he had dialysis, with the hopes that his kidney problems were causing the heart attacks. By Thursday night, they couldn't keep his blood pressure up. He was in a lot of pain, but every time he was given pain medicine, his heart stopped. 3 times just Thursday night. By Friday morning, the dr told my mom it was time to decide about taking him off life support. Mom decided to take him off of it Saturday morning. Waldo's son and mother (she lives in WA so she was only able to get in by Thursday due to snow delays) immediately filed an injunction to stop her from taking him off. At 11 am on Friday, Jan. 8th, Waldo passed away. his heart stopped again, and they couldn't revive him. We went back to Arkansas on Friday night and stayed there until the next Tuesday. Tuesday was the funeral. The worst part is that today was his birthday. On her way to the funeral on Tuesday morning, my mom was served with papers for a court case where Waldo's son and mother are suing my mom for all of Waldo's possessions. It is getting pretty messy, but my mom and Waldo have a GREAT friend who is a lawyer and is defending my mom for free! She is so blessed to have him and his wife to help her through this right now, since I'm down here in Louisiana.

As you can see, it's been a rollercoaster of a year already. I hope everyone is having a better year. Good news though, my first OFFICIAL dr appointment on Friday for the baby. She will hpefully do the first ultrasound too. Bryant can't go with me because the big presentation I alluded to is in Baton Rouge Friday morning, so I'm hopeing I'll be able to send him a picture of the ultrasound on my phone, and then it will be a little more real to him too. :)

Have a great week everyone!

magistramarla
01-19-2010, 10:41 AM
Amanda,
I'm so sorry to read about what you've been going through. I hope that you can stay calm and keep from having a flare. Take good care of yourself and that baby!
I also hope that your Mom can stay strong. What a lot of stress for her to go through at such a sad time for her.
We're all here for you, and please keep us updated after your appointment.
Marla

adl011
01-19-2010, 01:49 PM
I will definitely update after my appointment. Maybe I can even figure out how to post a picture and put up the ultrasound for you guys! I'm trying so hard to avoid a flare, especially since the medicines are so dangerous for the baby. I'm taking NOTHING but pre-natal vitamins right now, which is so weird for me. I was completely symptom free for about a month before I got pregnant, and I'm praying I can keep it that way. The doc will probably run blood work, so I'll have her check my lupus activity too. It's been so nice not being in a flare, I have a little bit of the rash on my face, but it never completely goes away, even when I'm in remission. I don't know if that's normal or not. I'm still kinda new to the lupus stuff in the treating aspect because I wasn't treated for it for almost four years after I found out I had it. My dr didn't know much about it and only gave me plaquenil. He really wanted me to kinda "learn" how to live with it, so I did for four years. I know it's possible, it's just really difficult, and I don't want my body to be tricked and start attacking the baby instead of just attacking me. I'll feel so much more at ease after I can speak with the dr. I'm counting down the days til friday so I can ask her ALL my questions.

marla, as a mom and nurse, do you have any questions you'd recommend me ask her. This is my first baby, so I'm totally new to this. My family doesn't really talk about pregnancy. To them it's just something that happens and it's not discussed. I have done LOTS of internet research, but that still doesnt compare to first-hand info from a mom.

Thanks,

Amanda

mountaindreamer
01-19-2010, 03:51 PM
Amanda,

oh, congrats on your new baby on the way...what an exciting time for you and your husband. I am glad that you told your mom and Waldo, i am sure that the news brought a smile to their faces, and that was the best that they could have. I am so sorry about all that you and your mom have been through and are going through. Money often brings out the truth about people, and i think your mom knows what kind of people they are. I am glad that she has a lawyer that will help...tell her to "go get em."

I know you will have tons of questions for your dr. during this pregnancy. Will your ob/gyn dr. work with your rheumy during this time? Mothers are always so concerned about harming their unborn child, that is natural. With the resources here among our "mothers" and "nurses" and "computer search wizards", i am sure that your concerns will be addressed and your fears will be eased. I once fell down a flight of stairs while pregnant. I called my dr. in hysterics, and was quickly assured that my baby was protected and would be fine....Moms start protecting their little ones from the moment of conception.

Again, congratulations, you are going to be an AWESOME mom.

BonusMom
01-19-2010, 06:02 PM
I'm so happy to hear the good news about your pregnancy and your success in finding a high-risk OB/GYN.

It must be a result of all the cold storms we've been having because one of my co-workers announced her pregnancy today also.

Lala
01-19-2010, 09:06 PM
Awesome!!!Congratulations,I am so so so happy for you!!Being a mom is one of the best things in the whole world,there is nothing like holding that little one for the first time. Take care now.

dsunshine
01-20-2010, 12:14 AM
Congrats Amanda...I am so happy for you and wish nothing but the best for you! That is wonderful news to say the least! I can't wait to announce the same one day! As long as you trust GOD and know that when other's say impossible God says differently and presents endless possiblities!!!

lucky7
01-20-2010, 01:50 PM
OMG AMANDA!!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!! IM SO HAPPY for YOU and YOUR HUSBAND!!!!!!!! NOW THAT deserves a HUMUNGUS WOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! YOU go girl!!! You go boy too( to your hubby)! His boys did some serious swimming!!!!! WOO HOO!!! XXXXXXXXX OOOOOOOOO

magistramarla
01-20-2010, 04:18 PM
Hi Amanda,
I started to answer you yesterday and got interrupted, so I'm starting over.
I'm not a nurse. I was an assistant to a lay midwife for a few years, so I've had a bit of experience. Quite a few questions came to my mind.
1. Does she foresee a "normal" pregnancy and delivery for you?
2. Will you need bedrest, like Leksie?
3. Does she support letting you labor without inducement with pitocin or an epidural? I've been heartbroken watching my two younger girls having those miserable medicated births, leading to emergency c-sections. On the other hand, with my own un-medicated births and the many homebirths that I've seen, when the Mom is unmedicated and free to move around and choose her own position for birth, it goes much faster and easier.
4. Will you be able to stay off of lupus drugs that might keep you from breastfeeding? If you can, it is much healthier for both of you. Check out the La Leche League's book, The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding, and the online site, 101 reasons to Breastfeed Your Baby. If you can, breastfeed as long as you possibly can.
5. Will your doc support you in nursing the baby right after delivery, even if a c-section becomes necessary?
6. Have rooming-in with the baby and your hubby. It is much more restful and better for family bonding if you are together, rather than having the baby somewhere down the hall. If the baby winds up in NICU, go there to sit and nurse if possible, or just to touch and bond as much as possible.
7. Take Lamaze classes - they help a lot.
For right now, read, read, and read some more. Learn as much as you can, just the same way we advocate learning about lupus.
Go on a health-food kick. Avoid pre-packaged foods and sodium like the plague. Pre-eclampsia (edema) is your worst enemy at the end of your pregnancy and salty foods make it worse. (This means any fast foods)
Eat lots of high-quality proteins. The baby uses them to build his body tissues and brain. Nuts are a good high protein snack. My midwife recommended protein shakes every day. You can add any flavoring you like - peanut butter, fruits, etc.
Folic acid is an important supplement to take.
Raspberry leaf tea helps to tone the uterus and settles nausea.
Always have a large glass of liquid in your hand - water or tea (not soda). Stay hydrated, especially when you are nursing.
This should get you started. Feel free to ask me if I can help with anything else.
Happy Baby!
Marla

adl011
01-21-2010, 08:55 AM
Marla,

Thanks SO much. That is so helpful. I want to breastfeed. I always have, but I know if my lupus becomes active again, it will be a balancing act of whether or not I can function without the medicines to keep breastfeeding. My husband really wants me to as well. I've been taking pre-natal vitamins and extra iron because of my anemia. I've tried the raspberry tea thing and ginger and NOTHING seems to help with the nausea. I'm usually sick from the time I wake up until about 4pm or so, then I'm STARVING from not being able to keep anything down all day. I know I told you guys I had gained about 120 pounds from the 8 months of steroids, but I have officially lost 30 total since getting off of them, including twenty in the past month. It's not intentional, but it feels good to loose some of it. I'm now 90 lbs heavier than this time last year, and hopefully after the baby is born I can get back to my pre-steroid weight. I feel healthy right now at this weight and I'm concerned about losing too much while pregnant, so I'm definitely gonna talk to the dr about that tomorrow too. I'm gonna ask for something to help with the nausea. Crackers and fluids aren't cutting it. I've been this sick for almost 4 weeks now. It sucks, but it's SO worth it as long as my little baby is healthy. Also good news and kinda related. We're getting a NEW car in March! I'm so excited. Our cars keep having to be put in the shop for various things, which is expected since they are both 16 years old! It'll be such a relief to have a new car to bring our baby home in! Thank you all for the congrats and support. I'll keep you guys update the whole way.

Thanks,

Amanda

brandichi
01-21-2010, 10:30 AM
Congratulations and all the best for a healthy pregnancy!!!!

Nonna
01-21-2010, 10:59 AM
Congratulations!

Nonna

Enjoy Life to the best of your ability; prayer and faith also help

adl011
01-22-2010, 04:05 PM
Okay, I had my first appointment today! It went GREAT! I absolutely love my ob. I got an ultrasound, and I got to hear/see the baby's heartbeat! I was SO surprised. I thought I wouldn't be far enough along yet. Based on my LMP, I am 7 weeks, but the baby is only measuring 6 weeks 1 day. She said this isn't really cause for concern though because I may just have a smaller baby, or the baby may catch up in the next few weeks, especially since I've been so sick. Im SO happy. It's been a great day. The doctor was a little concerned about my morning sickness, but she told me to try the sea sickness bands for a few days and if I'm not better then she'll give me some medicine for it. She's also trying to find a new rheumy and neurologist for me to see that are experienced in working with pregnant women. She knows a good rheumy she said that will accept my insurance. That's been my problem in the past, I couldn't find one that would take it, so I had to pay out of pocket and only go when I could afford it. But I'm SO happy I can't even put it all into words. I'll try to get the ultrasound pics up soon, I have to find my camera cord first. But they took 17 tubes of blood today to check EVERYTHING under the sun, thyroid, lupus stuff, HCG levels, blood sugar, and I'm doing a 24-hour urine to check protein and sugar levels in my blood because my protein levels were kinda high in the office. Okay, time for a nap. It's been a LONG day. Have a great weekend

Amanda