PDA

View Full Version : Climate?

Katalanta
08-26-2005, 03:31 PM
Hey All,

I live in L.A. - and due to the rash and the ever-present sunshine I was thinking of moving elsewhere. Are there any places where a person with lupus might feel better? Or are particular places to avoid?

Right now I'm seriously considering Portland, OR. Is that smart or stupid?

hippimom2
08-26-2005, 03:35 PM
I live in Iowa and find that the humidity and heat in the summer puts me in a summerlong flare. All the moisture in the air also aggrevates my symptoms.

Years ago I used to live in Colorado and I go back for a visit at least once a year. I find the cool dry air gives me some relief from symptoms. Once in a while my husband and I talk about moving there, but I'm not sure I could handle the stress of a move. I'll be interested what others have to say about this topic.

SoleSinger
08-26-2005, 04:41 PM
Really? Where in Colorado did you live?? I've lived here my whole life! Why did you move to Iowa? What do you think it is about Colorado that alieviates some of your symptoms? This is a very interesting topic! I will also be very interested to see how other people respond!

andyman
08-27-2005, 04:53 AM
I live in the LA area too. Actually just north of Burbank in a town called Sunland. I think it's Greek for "Land 2 Feet from the Sun".

I just started noticing recently that the sun bothers me. I don't get rashes but I can feel something internal going on when I'm in the sun that ain't cool. As far as moving, I love LA, however, I'm been thinkikng more about maybe moving closer to the coast like Ventura. It's a lot cooler there and more ozone. I don't have anything to back that up other than that I think my body would like the coast weather better. I think that maybe another option would be the San Francisco area as it tends to stay cooler up there too.

As far as going back east, I've lived in Iowa too. I love Iowa but the weather in LA is way better.

Andyman

hippimom2
08-27-2005, 06:21 AM
Solesinger, I moved out to Colorado after I graduated from high school and had a four year break before I started college. I lived in both Breckenridge and Telluride (before al the famous people lived there and it was still a hippie town). I basically worked so I could ski and hike, play music, and enjoy the mountains. I grew up in Iowa and most of my family is here, so somehow I ended up closer to home.

I think it's the cool dry air in Colorado that helps me. My symptoms don't go away, but I do get some relief. I also wonder if it's some of my excitement for being back in the mountains that also helps me and puts my pain and fatigue at a bearable level. In Iowa it doesn't matter what the tempurature is, the air is always full of humidity.

Katalanta
08-27-2005, 07:25 AM
Colorado, huh? My sister lived there for years, and I drove through once or twice. I love mountains and it's gorgeous - but I don't think I want to go that far East. I really do love the edge of the ocean. I think Vancouver would be too cold, and my ex-husband and I actually got divorced over my refusal to move to Seattle, so it would be too ironic to move there now. San Francisco is beautiful, but so hilly!

Portland's still in the lead so far...

hatlady
08-27-2005, 11:13 AM
I'm a bit more cynical about the weather. Since there are rheumatologists EVERYWHERE, and they seem to stay in business, I fugure I'll just live where I want. Well, with some limitations!

I do however, find that the sun is a problem, so the southwest and southern CA would be out. I agree - I don't get a rash, but I can feel my skin crawl if I'm exposed to sun for long, and feel like #@%@ for days after an outing without one of my hats. Even a quick 5 minutes somewhere, I've got to cover up.

Humidity and heat are killers. Illinois has humidity almost year round. Summers are hot. I have AC in my car and home, and praise St. Carrier, the inventor of AC, each day. The electric bills are worth it! Winters don't bother me as much - layering is easy! Were I to leave here, I'd probalby move north.

Minnesota, Canada. Colorado or Montana would be nice as well...maybe I'll join you i Colorado, Solesinger! :wink:

andyman
08-28-2005, 04:33 AM
This got me to thinking. I read recently that ozone levels are higher in the mountains and at the beach. Higher ozone levels would increase oxygen into our systems (that's why most people feel refreshed when going to the mountains or the beach). So, those areas might tend to be more attractive to us folks with lupus. Just a thought.

Andyman

SoleSinger
08-28-2005, 06:17 AM
I thought because of the elevation there was less oxygen in the mountains, which was why people got light headed so easily up there?

andyman
08-29-2005, 02:59 AM
Yes, I guess that's true too. The ozone thing is just something I read recently. I do know that green plants do put out a lot of oxygen as well. I know for myself that being up around a lot of trees or by the ocean helps me breathe better. I imagine that there's a point elevation wise where other changes take place.

Andyman

tatiana
08-29-2005, 07:18 AM
Ozone is not the 'good' kind of oxygen, it's actually an air pollutant. Up in the atmosphere it protects us from the sun (ozone layer-- the good ozone). Down here in the stratosphere it's not such good news as it creates all kind of health problems for people with sensitive skin and breathing issues (asthma). That constatn smog and haze in LA and other high pollution cities is partly a result of the stratospheric ozone. It actually traps heat particles making it hotter (heat island effect). Though California would be worse off, except for the pacific ocean and it's cooler waters and breeze keep the pollution checked-- it would be worse in the Atlantic. I find that humidity (i lived in south Florida for several years) and warm weather do not mix well for me. I now live in the north east, where i have seasons and more shade trees. I am partial to the ocean as well, and would like to end up in Boston or the pacific coast at some point, but humidity can certainly do a number on my knees; so we'll see.

Sorry about the science lesson, i just get particulary excited when i am able to share the little that i know :)

Katalanta
08-29-2005, 09:11 AM
I LOVE the science lesson! I love all science lessons! Bring 'em on!!!!

andyman
08-30-2005, 03:52 AM
Not a problem at all. You are absolutely right. In large doses ozone is not going to help you. However, applied correctly it will help get pollution out of your system and create more oxygen in the system. I did really like your data though. Thanks!

I lived in Boston a long time ago. It's a very cool city from what I recall.

Andyman

Missy
09-13-2005, 06:07 PM
I'm from ORegon - Portland and Eugene are the best, I think. Never lived in Protland, but did live in Eugene. Seattle has some great stuff going on in Lupus research, though.

I think it all depends on how your particular body responds. I like Mexico, because the sun doesn't seem to bother me (yet). Other people say they can't be in the heat or sun, others need it to help with joint pain. Who knows!

*Sara*
09-13-2005, 07:41 PM
I am from Illinois...the wonderful midwest...WE get alot of moist air and dry humid air depending on the day...along with my lupus and allergies...it basically sucks...I either have my bones hurting from the moisture or my head hurting from the allergies...its wonderful being here...but i guess i flare (not a bad one) just about every other day or so.