PDA

View Full Version : husband with lupus, wondering to test oldest child?

geary38
08-26-2005, 04:46 AM
Hello, i have been reading this website and it has been very helpful.

My husband had a heart attack last march, and to cut a long story short he has lupus and has been put on a chemo drug, amoung others for 5 months.
My oldest daughter (I have two daughters aged 9 and 5 and a son who just turned 3) loves to complain, however last year a couple of times she said that she couldn't move her legs, she had often said about pains in her legs but I just put these down to normal growing pains. Anyway by the time it came to take her to the doctor she felt fine, so we didn't go - now I am wondering if she has lupus too, and my dilemma is do I start trying to get testing started now or do I sit it out and see if she gets any symptoms?
Thankyou in advance for any help.

hippimom2
08-26-2005, 05:25 AM
welcome geary. I thought I'd respond because I had a similar situation happen last winter. I am being treated for lupus and last winter, my son (7yrs) began experiencing a lot of pain and fatigue. Took him to his pediatrician who found his sed rate elevated and positive ANA as well as testing positive for epstein-barr, so referred him to a rheumatologist. The rheumy was terrible - he basically said there was nothing wrong that kids get tired. Luckily, by late spring, my son was back to his normal self, but we still keep an eye on him.

I have read that you have a greater chance of having lupus if someone in your family has it. Our pediatrician explained that growing pains usually occur at night and they should not wake up in pain. If they wake up in pain it is something other that growing pains. It would probably be best to take your daughter in when she is not feeling well, because sometimes labs only show something when someone is in a lot of pain or discomfort.

I hope this helps a little. Hopefully someone else will be along with some other thoughts for you. Let us know what happens.

geary38
08-27-2005, 09:52 PM
Thankyou for your reply, I wil wait and see if any symptoms show.

I hope you and your son are doing well.