PDA

View Full Version : high cholesterol level due to lupus??

dandoon_88
08-25-2005, 01:02 PM
i have lupus nephritis and am taking Prednisolone (5mg) and Cellcept (2000mg) and last week my blood test showed a very high cholesterol level (12.3) which worried my nephrologist and i will be starting lipitor soon. Does anyone have the same problem? i'm sure it has nothing to do with my diet because i rarely eat fast food and am careful about my food. I just need any explanation for this please and thanks!

SoleSinger
08-25-2005, 03:40 PM
Now, I have high cholesterol, too. But, my doc said it was due to the nephrotic syndrome... How long have you been diagnosed with Lupus nephritis? And when was the last time they checked your cholesterol in relation to that?

dandoon_88
08-26-2005, 01:26 PM
I was diagnosed with nephrotic syndrome 5 years ago but i was treated and I went into relapse about 2 years ago.
I was diagnosed with lupus nephritis a year ago and the last time i checked my blood cholesterol level was three months ago. I don't recall it being that high.
But when I initially had symptoms and saw a peadiatrician 5 years ago, I was misdiagnosed as having high cholesterol level only, so now I think it's a problem that has been present for years.
But actually when my nephrologist reviewed the last blood tests it was high but not as high as now. (9 compared to 12)
Anyway, I'll be seeing him again soon to ask about this issue. Thanks!

andyman
08-27-2005, 05:00 AM
I have kidney involvement with my lupus too and have high cholesterol. I absolutely think it's contributed to the lupus. I'm on lipitor as well.

I believe it was hatlady who mentioned that she takes cinammon for cholesterol. I want to check that out as I would much rather take a natural substance if at all possible.

Andyman

ClaireMacl
08-27-2005, 05:12 AM
Hi, do measurements vary throughout the world or are the ones stated here the highest I've ever heard of (I'm a nurse). A cholesterol of over 5 is concidered too high here, never met anyone with one of 12.

Just curious, mine is 5.2 and I've been told I must reduce it ASAP.

dandoon_88
08-28-2005, 01:57 AM
i have no idea if the measurements vary, i'll have to check out the normal range over here but i do not have the lab work rite now..
even though i've been told its very high, i dont feel any different..are there no symptoms?

SoleSinger
08-28-2005, 02:10 AM
I think the measurements must vary because normal cholesterol here is like 120 or something like that...

You know, I haven't felt any different with high cholesterol either.... Maybe because it isn't your typical high cholesterol there aren't any symptoms... Maybe if it was due to a heart problem there would be, but since it isn't... I don't know...

Would be interesting to find out though...

hatlady
08-28-2005, 03:46 AM
Cholesterol readings must vary around the world! As Solesinger said, in the US, the testing results in scores in the 100's ("normal" range) and over 200 is considered high. Mine runs around 220-230, but most of that is the HDL, which is unusual. My doc says not to worry about the total cholesterol because of that. But I do take 1/2 tsp of cinnamon every day to help keep it under control.

andyman
08-28-2005, 04:23 AM
I just looked at my last lab and my total cholesterol was high at 280 but my LDH was high at 263 and that is the one they really look at. As far as the numbers of 9 or 12 I'm not sure which number they are looking at. It may be a different aspect of cholesterol that number reflects.

I don't feel differently with high cholesterol either. In fact when I was first told I had high cholesterol it didn't make sense to me at all because I eat pertty good.

I think they just look at high cholesterol as high cholesterol no matter what the source. It's more of a thing of not what high cholesterol is doing to you now but more of a matter of keeping it under control so it doesn't end up bringing in more complications for you later.

Andyman

mommymc
08-29-2005, 12:14 AM
Out here in the province of BC (Canada) I was told by the Rheumatologist that the 'normal range' does vary from lab to lab. For my 12 year old, her total Cholesterol is High at 7.0 mmol/L . Normal is 2.0 - 4.4 mmol/L. Also added by her rheumy, that diet plays only 30% of that reading. The other 70% is the Cholesterol that the body produces.
Be strong!

Everything good is possible!!!

dandoon_88
08-29-2005, 02:36 AM
Thank you for this information. It was really helpful.
Best wishes to your daughter!!

andyman
08-29-2005, 03:03 AM
Ditto. Thanks for that data.

I also noticed in the numbers you gave that the reading seems to be metric. That would explain the 7.0 or 12.0 compared to numbers like 280 that you see here.

Andyman

mommymc
08-30-2005, 03:26 PM
Yes, they are in metric measurements. Perhaps you could check on line for the lab that you go to get your bllod work done. Check to see if they have a 'Healthy Range' lab work results, or something that you could print of. Also, I have found that pharmasists are very helpful out here. If I need information, and I don't want to phone the Dr. 'for just one more thing', they will get me the information I need.

Hope this is somewhat helpful.

EVERYTHING GOOD IS POSSIBLE !! :D

ClaireMacl
08-30-2005, 03:48 PM
Ha! Of course, metric and imperial... one of the reasons I've never tried the Nclex to go the the US, lol.

Thanks for sorting the mystery :)

andyman
08-31-2005, 05:30 AM
Okie dokie.

Now you clear one up for me. What does Nclex mean?

Andyman