PDA

View Full Version : Close To Goal Weight, Getting Sick, Taking Steroids & Gaining Back !

Kayla's Gram
12-18-2009, 02:48 PM
I was doing sooooo well with my "Weight Loss" looking forward to my 1yr mark being on "The Atkins Program" Jan 1st 2010 !!!

Going from a size 18/20 to 8/10 given my limited ability to exercise due to having Nerve Dammage & Lupus/Fibro from a Motorcycle Accident in Aug 04'.

My Primary Care Dr & I have been going back/forth on what my "Goal Weight" should be for some time now & I moved into "Pre~Maint" in August. She wants to keep it a bit higher than I due, due to my Immune System & a higher weight helping to keep it stronger !!!

At my Oct Monthly Check~Up She had me try a (new to me med) "Neurontin" due to alot of discomfort I was having. Well by my next month's Appt I had gained 9 very unwanted pound's !!!

This medication is very much like "Lyrica" which I had to stop taking in 2008 for the very same reason/side effect ~ weight gain !!!

Then I came down with my 3rd Upper/Lower Resp Infection this Fall (Oct, Nov & now Dec) my Immune System is Shot so to speak !!!

I saw my Dr on Dec 1st one round of meds, again on the 7th another round of meds & on the 11th I was placed in the Hospt till last PM on a very High Dose of Steroids & IV Antibiotics gave me 6 more very unwanted pounds .

I have now gained a Grand Total of 15 very unwanted pounds, however Iam NOT finished with my round of Steroids & Oral Antibiotics YET !!!

Iam sure that there is STILL more "Weight Gain" to come before Iam done !!!

Now that Iam home for the Hosp I will be jumping right back on my "Daily Eating Plan" even thought it may seem like I fighting a "loosing battle" due to the Meds & due my best to stay strong !!!

Iam sooooo very glad that I have an AWESOME Place like the "WHL" Forum to come to for Support , Friendship & Guideance to help see me through a time that there are days I feel like giving~up all together !!!

Thanks for letting me Vent & Share Once Again !!!

~Cindi~ :cute:

kim,l
12-18-2009, 03:25 PM
dear kayla i know how you feel i am exteremely overweight and have been going to weight watchers but i am struggling i get weight loss one week the i gain another due to fluid and these wretched drugs it becomes so dis heartening when you know you are doing your best i have decided that i have to just take one day at a time and except my limitations to exercise so i am going to start off exercising in local pool complex that is about all i can do right now please know that you are not alone with this struggle i wish you good luck. merry christmas hugs kim l

SandyR
12-18-2009, 08:11 PM
I know how you ladies feel. I am a yo-yo too. I was down about 15lbs before my last flare that started in May. Was getting out of the flare at the end of July then had surgery beginning of August. All that sitting around (and maybe a little eating ice cream) has not helped my waist size. Yesterday, I joined the gym that is opening at the end of the month. Now that I am all flare free and healed up from surgery, I am all set to get back on the plan and to step up my game this time. I refuse to buy new clothes in a bigger size when I just got a whole new beautiful wardrobe filled with sizes a little too snug and a lot too snug right now. And I absolutely will not go back to the size above. Couldn't even if I wanted to since I gave those clothes away. This is our year ladies! Let's set a goal for 2010 now and keep checking in on this thread with it. My goal is to lose 15-20% of my BMI this year. Totally doable if I keep up with the gym and WW. What about you guys? I really think we can do this together, because as Cindi said, "we have an AWESOME Place like the "WHL" Forum to come to for Support , Friendship & Guideance to help see me through a time that there are days I feel like giving~up all together !!!"

kim,l
12-18-2009, 08:23 PM
sounds like a good idea sandy lets make this our newyears resolution will start properly on january 2 good to have support merry christmas hugs kim l

mountaindreamer
12-18-2009, 10:11 PM
hi kayla,

i was wondering about you....i am so sorry to hear that you were in the hospital. I hope you are feeling better now. Yes, between meds and "lack of exercise", it is so very difficult to maintain an acceptable weight.

Keep trying, you are definitely focused, so i know you will get rid of these unwanted pounds.

i like the idea of weight control and exercise support teams here at whl....great idea.

Linda From Australia
09-28-2010, 01:04 AM
I know Cindi (Kayla's Gram) hasn't posted for a while, I wanted to know how she was going.

Sandy ... you might hate me for bring this up ..... BUT .... I AM. You said on 12-19-09 "Let's set a goal for 2010 now and keep checking in on this thread with it. My goal is to lose 15-20% of my BMI this year. Totally doable if I keep up with the gym and WW." Well, you have less than 3 months until 12 months is up, so how have you gone with your weight?

I changed to a very healthy life style since being diagnosed 3 months ago. I have lost nearly 6kg (13 pounds) in 3 months. Feeling very proud of myself, but then when my doctor told me my kidney function has improved I now realise that the weight loss was probably mostly fluid and my new healthy life style had a smaller effect on my weight loss. My weight is now stable and it is harder for me to loose weight now. My dietition has told me that she would like me to loose another 3 or so kilos (6 pounds). But I think it is going to take me a lot longer than I first anticipated.

SandyR
09-28-2010, 06:44 AM
Linda -

Not well. This year was not a good one for me to be active. Too many weekends of painful swollen joints. I am back to square one again. 2 weeks ago was the first time in months I was able to go out swing dancing again and of course I paid for it, but the thing is I used to go out dancing 4 or 5 times a week and then go hiking on the weekends so it's really hard not being able to move because of pain. My weight is stable right now but that's after gaining a bunch of it back. :(

Sandy

Nonna
09-28-2010, 05:32 PM
Reading this is like oh my!

I was well on my way from 235, all the way down to 190. Then the steriods started, my synthroid seemed to stop working also. I was back up to 220. I'm 214 at the moment; but I'm too fatigued and sore to exercise. It's just not fair

Linda From Australia
09-28-2010, 05:41 PM
Well done Nonna, 214 is way better than 235. I found when I am too tired to exercise, I got some dumb bells and lifted them different positions when I was lying in bed. I figured any exercies is better than none. At least it burnt up a few calories.

Sandy it is also good that your weight is stable for now. Keep up the good work

BonusMom
09-29-2010, 07:24 AM
I was determined to lose weight this year for two reasons-for my health and to look good for my son's wedding. I was on the road to success, lost 45 lbs. and even ordered THE dress a size smaller than I was currently wearing as an incentive. Then I got a nasty rash and I was prescribed prednisone-the highest dose I'd ever been prescribed. 60 mg. For a month. I tried to order THE dress in a size larger, only it wouldn't arrive in time. There was only one thing I could do. Persevere.

My taper will be complete by this Friday. The wedding is a week from Saturday. I weigh one pound more than I did when I began the Prednisone a month ago. I tried the dress on last night and it fits beautifully (even without Spanx). I continue to walk the Capitol daily (one mile) and drink lots of water to flush the steroids/water gain from my system. I want to be at my "goal" weight by the end of this year, which means an additional weight loss of 20 pounds. I would like to tone up my arms because now that I've lost the weight, I've got "bat wings" where I once had fat.

I have digestive issues because of SLE and Sjogren's and didn't feel like I'd ever be able to get a handle on my weight because of my limited menu. For me, it all boiled down to portion control and eating small meals throughout the day.

If you have a bad day, simply start over the next and don't beat yourself up over your whoopsies. I have absolutely no willpower and if I can manage to lose weight--you can too!

Bonita
09-29-2010, 11:22 AM
I can say i am in the same situation. When i had my first back surgery in 2003 and the second one in 2005 i lost 60 lbs and have kept it off till now i gained back almost 20 of it and i cannot lose it and it really gets me down. I am sorry that everyone else is going through this also. Bonita

Linda From Australia
04-15-2011, 04:51 AM
Ok girls, time to check in to let me know how you are doing with your weight loss. If you don't want to answer now, do a bit of healthy eating and exercise and let me know in a week's time when you have lost a few ounces

BonusMom
04-15-2011, 07:06 AM
I need to post a new profile picture so you can SEE how I've done.....

Linda From Australia
04-15-2011, 07:20 AM
Looking forward to seeing the new you

Nonna
04-16-2011, 12:39 AM
Wish I could say I made it back to 190. But 2011 has not been good to me. Bronchitis didn't allow me to exercise and I'm back up to the 235. It turns out I have developed very mild asthma. So I need to figure out hoe to do this.

Hugs and thanks Linda
Toni

tgal
04-16-2011, 08:52 AM
I am with you Nonna. Asthma one one of the first things they diagnosed me with and all I know is that I never thought I would be this large! I am avoiding all mirrors now

BonusMom
06-19-2011, 08:30 PM
I need to post a new profile picture so you can SEE how I've done.....

I finally have a new profile picture posted that shows more than just my face. Yes, I need to continue toning, but I'm so much better than where I was two years ago when my daughter graduated two years ago. I came across the photos the other day and I just want to cry............65 lbs lost and my BMI is now "normal" and no longer in the "obese" or even "overweight" range.....woo hoo!

lovedbyHim
06-19-2011, 10:24 PM
Hi Bonus mom , How did you do it? I gained 30 pounds in one yr. Fortunately I was very thin before all of this started but I hate it! I have so much fluid from the lyrica, lodine, skelaxin and now cymbalta. Then there is the prednisone. Exercise has been really lousy as of late due to pain from fibromyalgia. I am also so tired from the meds and fibro. I was hiking 7.50 miles a day last fall. Very discouraging at times. Any advice would be great.

Nonna
06-20-2011, 01:17 AM
I'm getting there- I lost weight today - yesterday I weighted in at 225. Wooo Whoooo

Nonna
06-20-2011, 01:21 AM
Hi Bonus mom , How did you do it? I gained 30 pounds in one yr. Fortunately I was very thin before all of this started but I hate it! I have so much fluid from the lyrica, lodine, skelaxin and now cymbalta. Then there is the prednisone. Exercise has been really lousy as of late due to pain from fibromyalgia. I am also so tired from the meds and fibro. I was hiking 7.50 miles a day last fall. Very discouraging at times. Any advice would be great.

I used an app on my itouch called Lose it - it's helping me- it's tied I to my daughter and I have a person to report to. It helps me

lovedbyHim
06-20-2011, 02:20 AM
I have calorie counter on my Droid. I think I will use it for starters. Perhaps I need someone to hold me accountable. Thanks.

Peridot20_Gem
06-20-2011, 10:37 AM
Well i've just read the posts to this thread and i should be as big as an horse, i was once at 18st and thank god i lost it all but with all the meds i'm on i should be looking massive...instead i'm rotting away and concerning hip joints etc i think you feel it more not carrying weight.

Throw some pounds this way as my body felt abit better at 11 and 10st.

BonusMom
06-20-2011, 12:12 PM
Portion control and walking were what did it for me. I usually eat a packet of instant oatmeal for breakfast (or a scrambled egg and a slice of toast); a piece of fruit for mid-morning snack; Healthy Choice entree for lunch and a very small piece of chicken and some veggies and a small serving spoonful of rice or pasta for dinner. I will drink 4-5 glass of water during the day, minimum, plus 4-5 glasses of iced tea and a treat every day.

Although more expensive, I buy individual serving size packages of treats like ice cream and snacks so I know what a real serving is supposed to be vs. what my eyes/stomach thought it should be. I don't deny myself anything and still allow myself a treat daily.

To keep things in perspective, I purchased two toddler sized plates at Target that are divided in three sections-that way in "know" what a real portion of meat, veggies and starch are supposed to be. Previously, I'd put a large scoop of spuds on my plate, thinking that's what a serving was......not anymore. If you'll look at the back of a bag of chips, for instance, you'll see that it's supposed to serve 2 or 2.5 and you just easily polished it off by yourself. Yep, I did it myself out of habit.

1. If you're going to buy the smaller size package of anything, make sure the package specifies just ONE serving and eat just one bag/box/whathaveyou.

2. Use a smaller plate for your meal and don't refill it.

3. Automate one meal--have the same thing for one meal every day so that you don't fret about it and have to plan ahead. Breakfast time is my busiest time of time of day so I automate breakfast. I also automate my weekday lunch because I grab it as I'm flying out the door.

4. Get up and move. Whether it's vowing to walk to the mailbox every day and then to the corner and then just a little bit further. Chellenge yourself and before you know it, you will notice the weight dropping off and your cardio building up. Even with asthma, I can tell the difference. I do need to tone up with targeted weights. I have muscular weakness, however, psychologically, I have a mental clarity after walking and riding my stationary bicycle that I wouldn't have if I were still sitting in my chair lamenting about the pounds adding up. Last year was, psychologically, THE most difficult in my life. Had I not been reducing my weight, I don't know that I would have survived it, it was THAT bad.

My target everyday was 3-400 calorie meals and two snacks. I didn't really count calories, per se, just kinda estimated so I knew I wasn't eating 1000 in each meal. I guess you could say I was becoming more aware of what I put in my mouth.

Do it for yourself. You're worth it and your health, both psychological and physical, will benefit.