PDA

View Full Version : This is What Christmas in My Part of the World

SandyR
12-17-2009, 08:52 PM
I wanted to see what Christmas looks like where we all live so I started this thread. I am posting some pictures of what Christmas looks like in the NYC area.

Pictures 1 & 2 are from Rockafeller Center.

Pictures 3, 4 & 5 are in Dyker Heights, Brooklyn. (so is my current profile pic)

Saysusie
12-17-2009, 09:16 PM
It has always been my dream (my "bucket List" if you will) to spend Christmas in New York. I can't convince my husband to do that:hissyfit:
Your pics are beautiful. As I am in the desert and I live in an area with lots of retired folks, there are no Christmas decorations to speak of. But, I will be checking back frequently to take a peek at other contributions of what Christmas looks like!

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

SandyR
12-17-2009, 09:32 PM
you know, we have New Year's cruises around NYC. You could get your agent to book you for one next year and then he will have to come and I could see you in concert! I'm sure I could scrounge up a WHL friend or two to come with. :yes:

kim,l
12-17-2009, 10:24 PM
h i SANDY R well christmas in australia this year we have afew houses with lights but not as many as you have in america our christmas is usually extermely hot people celebrate in different ways some traditional roast , barbecues, or just picnics or like we are doing this year leaving the cooking up to someone else and we are going to a restaurant for lunch that way the family can just enjoy each others company. some people even spend it at the beach. camping is a very favourable thing in australia. we have large christmas trees in sydney and on newyears they will let off firworks that have been placed on the harbour bridge and around sydney harbour everybody gathers around the harbour it is spectacular i have already placed some presents under the tree and my daughter has tried snooping. we even has stockings for our 2 little shitzu dogs on christmas eve i will just have a little party with snack food then i read my daughter a christmas story and we sing christmas carols next week we will watch christmas carol concerts on tv this is a tradition. well that is what christmas is down under for my family and many aussies. merry christmas hugs kiml

Tamy
12-18-2009, 04:28 AM
Hey Sandy
I love this thread. I will definitely be checking this page out on a daily basis. I'm also from Australia, most houses around my area are decorated, but nothing to really brag about. LOL. I think the hot weather at this time of year, puts most people off from over decorating. I love seeing houses were people have gone to that extra effort, it really makes it feel like Christmas.
Well, Kim couldn't have described an Aussie Christmas any better. I think we plan more around the weather, than around Christmas. If it gets too hot, we normally have a huge picnic by the beach, we put up a huge sun house, and just relax and take it easy.
Anyway, looking forward to this thread, i'm sure i'll be back to check out the decorations.
Tammy...Merry Christmas to you all.

SandyR
12-18-2009, 07:56 PM
BBQ on the beach is sounding pretty good right now. We're expecting 7-15" tomorrow afternoon into night.

Saysusie
12-20-2009, 10:29 AM
SandyR;
I just passed your suggestion along to my manager. He thought it was an excellent idea...so he's working on it now!! Let's see what happens. If he is able to book me somewhere, you will be the FIRST to know!

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

SandyR
12-20-2009, 01:27 PM
SandyR;
I just passed your suggestion along to my manager. He thought it was an excellent idea...so he's working on it now!! Let's see what happens. If he is able to book me somewhere, you will be the FIRST to know!

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

Woooooo hoooooo!!!!! I'll be the one boogeying down on the dance floor!

69bobo
12-21-2009, 10:35 AM
very nice pict.
this Year is very cold in Croatia (-15 degrees) everything is white so nice. lights are everywhere in town,but that is for eyes . i believe Christmas should be in our hearts ,love and peace with God and other people.
Merry Christmas ! hohohohohoho

abbasgirl
12-21-2009, 10:37 AM
What a great idea, Sandy. Love the pics! I'd love to visit Rockafeller center someday! I'd also love to see Australia...and so many other places. I've got a long bucket list.

The thing to see in our area is Rock City Gardens, but I miss out on it every year, including this one. :hissyfit:

Here's a link to their site that shows some of their lights. So pretty!
http://www.seerockcity.com/pages/Enchanted-Garden-of-Lights/

magistramarla
12-21-2009, 08:42 PM
It's not as warm here on our beach as it is in Australia, but we did go beach walking yesterday. It was nearly 70 degrees here on the central coast of Ca. We had a lovely time watching the waves come crashing in, and then went Christmas shopping at the mall.
Marla

magistramarla
12-24-2009, 04:52 PM
It's Christmas eve, and we spent the afternoon walking on the pier at Santa Cruz - watching the sea lions and sea birds, the sun shining on the bay, and enjoying fresh-caught crab for lunch. Here is a picture that my DH took of me on the pier.
Merry Christmas from the California Coast!
Marla

SandyR
12-24-2009, 10:30 PM
Marla - Looks like you had a nice time! I should take a pic of the beaches here in the winter, but they are fr-fr-freeeeeezing this time of year! :yes: BTW- I like your hair this darker shade. It's very flattering.

Leslie - Enchanted Garden looks very cool! We used to have something like that here at the most popular beach for years and years but they stopped it a few years ago. Now there is a smaller thing not that far that's still nice, but not nearly as popular or big. If I ever get down your way, this is now on my list of places to definately see.