PDA

View Full Version : Onset

jennyjo
12-15-2009, 05:09 PM
Can lack of eating and sleeping cause lupus? I was really rundown after the birth of my baby and thats when lupus symptoms started to begin with. Any ideas? Thx!

pandagirl
12-15-2009, 05:22 PM
No one knows an exact cause for Lupus..and if you ask 50 people you will prob get 50 answers... but lack of sleep definitely can effect you, and that might have been the final straw for you. I know when I am having sleep disturbances (as part of the Lupus) it triggers my symptoms terribly.

kim,l
12-15-2009, 05:51 PM
Yes lack of sleep and none eating can because you become rundown and it affects immune system my rheumi told me this when i was having sleep problems and wheni was on one of those meal replacement diets. Sorry you are feeling this way and hopefully things will settle soon hugs kim l

abbasgirl
12-16-2009, 11:20 AM
I don't know if it can create Lupus, but it sure can make things worse.

Pandagirl is right... there are so many theories about the root cause of Lupus and other AI diseases...viral, environmental, hormonal changes, to name a few.

I read about an interesting theory that enough stress could create the trouble... I hope I don't chop up the theory explaining it. Recall isn't something my brain does very well these days. From what I understood and remember from the article I read, if you have it in your genes, or any other disease... even diabetes, and you go through something traumatic, the stressful event turns things up and the disease takes over. But then, in my opinion...everything is worse when you're stressed. It's there but trauma makes it go super haywire. I thought I had the article bookmarked but can't find it right now. I'll keep looking if anyone wants to read about it. I think it was an attempt to explain why more and more people in the military are ending up with autoimmune diseases...the trauma of war waking up the genes in their bodies that create AI diseases. But then I wonder if the difference is that doctors are more aware with the passing of time and know to look for it. I hope that makes sense.

It's such a mystery.

magistramarla
12-16-2009, 08:02 PM
Yes, I just had mild, annoying symptoms until the stress of my mother-in-law passing away. That's when I had enough symptoms flare up for the ANAs to show up in my blood work and get my PCP to thinking about autoimmune issues.
Marla

abbasgirl
12-21-2009, 11:05 AM
You know, it almost tempts me to put myself in many stressful situations for a few weeks before another lab is done. Almost.

Samo
12-29-2009, 10:47 AM
Hey all, I am a little late posting to this thread but here goes.

By the way, I work in an immunology laboratory. If a gene, or groups of genes, have not been isolated AND determined to be the cause of a given disease, general rule dictates the disease may be a result of genetics AND other triggers (hormones, environment).

Below are a few paragraphs I took from the following website: http://lupusmichigan.blogspot.com/2006/01/genetics-and-lupus.html

Genetics and Lupus
Raphael J. DeHoratius, MD

The most frequently asked question about lupus is, "Is lupus inherited?" The answer to this question is both "yes" and "no"! Genes, those parts of our individual make-up that we inherit from our parents, are important in the development of lupus, but the answer is much more complicated than a simple "yes". Estimates are that from four to six or more genes must be combined for a person to inherit a susceptibility to acquire lupus.

It is nearly impossible to inherit all the genes necessary to develop lupus from a single parent, since an individual's genes come from both parents. This is one very important reason why it is unusual for lupus to occur in multiple generations of a family. If only some of the lupus genes are inherited, a person may not have lupus but may test positive for some of the immunologic tests, such as the antinuclear antibody (ANA).

Genetic factors cannot be the only answers, however, or susceptible identical twins would both develop lupus 100% of the time. Environmental factors, therefore, must also be important. It appears that some people are genetically predisposed to develop lupus but then must be exposed to the proper environmental triggers in order to have the disease.In summary, heredity is involved in the development of lupus but it is rare to have more than one family member who has lupus.

pandagirl
12-29-2009, 01:47 PM
I have to address the last senetence..."rare" to have multiple cases in families..I bet if you poll everyone on this site they have another family member with Lupus or some form of AI. ...unbelieveable...and hence why we can't find "real" doctors who get "it".

kim,l
12-29-2009, 07:15 PM
i agree strongly with you panda girl i have lupus my mother had lupus and my sister who is dead also had a lot of the same symptoms and my youngest daughters tests were that she is borderline lupus so i think they need to rethink what they are saying we need more studies and tests so we do not have to struggle so hard to get doctors to believe us it is so frustrating when people make comments like this i understand the they rely on science but we are human beings and sometimes there tests are wrong. i understand your point of view samo but a lot of do have family members with lupus and it does seem to be heriditary. thankyou for your comments we do apreciate them but all cases are different we all have different levels of lupus and we all need to be treated according to our individual circumstance. hugs kim l

Samo
12-29-2009, 07:29 PM
No problem...that was just something i found at the website I listed. I know not all information out there is correct and everyone's situation and circumstances are different. Hugs to you as well Kim, I (you too pandagirl) :cute:

kim,l
12-29-2009, 11:32 PM
dear samo thankyou please do not think i was upset with you because that was not my intention it is great to get new studies off the web it is just that doctors tend to be a touchy subject with a lot of us because they tend to treat us like where stupid and it is upsetting you on the other hand are one of our group and i respect any inforrmation you have for us even though we sometimes disagree does not mean we do care about you or your opinion i do apologise if i upset you i am just having quite a bad day with my lupus and feeling frustrated hugs kiml

Samo
12-30-2009, 06:31 PM
Hi KimI,

Thank you for your words, but NO WORRIES! No need to aplogize! I know that we are not always going to agree with each others opinions or with informaiton we find on the web but you are right, I know that in this forum we all care about each other a great deal. I agree with you that doctors are a touchy subject since I know it takes quite the effort to find one that will truly listen. I am sorry you are having a bad day with your lupus, please make sure to give it a big kick in the...well you know. I want to put a happy face but I have not figured out how to do it...ha! This new look will take some getting use to! MUCH HUGS!! Samo

kim,l
12-30-2009, 09:08 PM
thankyou samo yes it will take a bit getting used to the new site is definetly different was a bit confused this morning and yes we do care alot about one another. much hugs kim l

abbasgirl
12-31-2009, 11:53 AM
I've said it many times but it's nice to repeat it...this group is the kindest most respectful group!!!!

Samo, I have a lot of questions jotted down somewheres but can't find them at the moment... would you mind trying to answer some of these things that go over my head about lab work?

Samo
01-01-2010, 07:47 PM
Hi Abbasgirl!

I will do my best, and would be more than happy, to answer any lab related quesitons that you may have.

By the way, I saw the message that you posted regarding the beagele puppies but I could not figure out how to reply directly to it. I think I need to post a question to admin to figure out how to reply to messages directly AND enter some happy faces.

Thank you for thinking of me, I could not face beagle puppies without taking one home, I am such a sucker!