PDA

View Full Version : My son is having brain surgery, tomorrow

sick n tired
12-13-2009, 10:38 PM
Hi the last time I posted about this my hubby was going for a biopsy and son surgery as well as selling out house...

The biopsy was benign but it said there was a large amount of malignant Squaema cells in it...not sure how that is benign but not going to look a gift horse in the mouth....he still has a large amount of blood in his urine and this time he also had protein....I hope that cancer isn't lurking elsewhere...

My son, Timothy is having brain surgery tomorrow...I can't really describe how I feel right now...the anxeity is really high and then there is a peace...Please pray for him...the tumor is in the middle of the brain and pressing on the brain stem and trigeminal nerve...Timothy is off the charts stressed right now as can be expected....

Oh my goodness...I so can't believe that we are going through the valley of the shadow of death with yet another child...God help him....

kim,l
12-14-2009, 12:19 AM
i am so sorry you are going through this i wish you and your family the best i will be thinking of you i know what its like to have sick kids and a sick husband please take care of yourself love and hugs kim l

debbie-b
12-14-2009, 05:59 AM
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family, today specially with your son Timothy ( my sons name too).
I hope and pray, that everything goes well and fast.
Be strong.

Love
Debbie

BonusMom
12-14-2009, 07:31 AM
I hope that everything goes well for Timothy. I think I'd be asking for some valium to relax a little as that darn stress could really do a number on him. Poor kid (not to mention his anguished parents)

I had two excisional breast biopsies that showed malignant cells, yet I wasn't diagnosed with breast cancer. I have had mammograms annually since I was 35 due to strong family history of breast cancer, and hope that by them taking out the masses, I don't have to worry about cancer developing. Since your husband's mass showed cancer cells are they going go remove it?.

Please keep us updated on Timothy

Angel Oliver
12-14-2009, 07:37 AM
Oh im sorry to hear what you been going through.I will be thinking of you and your family and your son.Let us know how it goes.Thinking of you.

Love
Amanda.x.

mountaindreamer
12-14-2009, 08:31 AM
hi sickntired,

so sorry to hear about your son's surgery. I too have faced the fight for a child's life, and it is the most frightening thing that i have ever faced. I send you tons of angels to watch over you and Timothty...please keep us posted.

Bonita
12-14-2009, 08:56 AM
I will send my prayers also for the recovery of your family. Love and prayers Bonita

rob
12-14-2009, 10:34 AM
Hi the last time I posted about this my hubby was going for a biopsy and son surgery as well as selling out house...

The biopsy was benign but it said there was a large amount of malignant Squaema cells in it...not sure how that is benign but not going to look a gift horse in the mouth....he still has a large amount of blood in his urine and this time he also had protein....I hope that cancer isn't lurking elsewhere...

My son, Timothy is having brain surgery tomorrow...I can't really describe how I feel right now...the anxeity is really high and then there is a peace...Please pray for him...the tumor is in the middle of the brain and pressing on the brain stem and trigeminal nerve...Timothy is off the charts stressed right now as can be expected....

Oh my goodness...I so can't believe that we are going through the valley of the shadow of death with yet another child...God help him....

I understand your fear all too well. I have a inflamed blood vessel that presses against my trigeminal nerve causing Trigeminal Neuralgia. I have been on meds to control it, but if the meds stop working, my only other option is neurosurgery.

I will be thinking of you, and Timothy, and your family. There have been some major advances in neurosurgery just in the past few years, and the prognosis is constantly getting better for people who undergo the type of surgery your son is having. It's still scary as hell though. Please, let us know how he is doing when you are able. Until then know that you have the thoughts and prayers of a whole lot of people working for your son, your family, and you.

Rob

magistramarla
12-14-2009, 11:11 AM
Please know that we're all thinking about Timothy, you and your whole family today. Please let us know how he's doing as soon as you are able, and take good care of yourself, too.
Gentle Hugs,
Marla

SandyR
12-14-2009, 06:26 PM
thinking of and praying for you and Timothy and the family. what's a squaema?

brandichi
12-14-2009, 08:18 PM
Lots of prayers and good thoughts to Timothy and your family. I can only imagine how hard it must be to see your child go through something like this, but I hope it helps a little to know we're all surrounding you with lots of love, prayers, and healing thoughts.

abbasgirl
12-15-2009, 11:13 AM
Hi Karen... my family and I have been and will continue to pray for Timothy and your family. ((((Hugs)))) Keep us updated, okay?

pandagirl
12-15-2009, 05:29 PM
Thoughts and prayers...and more prayers.... and well wishes. Speedy recovery to both of your "patients".

Angel Oliver
12-15-2009, 06:00 PM
Thinking of you all and sending gentle hugs.

lots of love
Amanda.xxxx

Saysusie
12-16-2009, 01:27 PM
Please know that you and your family are in my thoughts and my prayers!!

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

sick n tired
12-19-2009, 12:19 AM
Hi...thanks for all the well wishes and prayers...as an update...

as some of you know...Timothy was allowed to come home, yesterday...that means that I am now the nurse on call...he takes meds every two hours...this should ease up in the next few days, though...I am really fatigued...The doctor also did a biopsy but we won't know about that for a while...

It will be a while before we know if he has had help with the trigeminal nerve...The doctor believes, because of his age, he will be able to see normally or at least closer than now...Rob...his trigeminal nerve is or was considered dead...this has led to 4th nerve palsy...he sees double when he tilts his head to one side..

sick n tired
12-19-2009, 12:23 AM
thinking of and praying for you and Timothy and the family. what's a squaema?

A squaema (not sure it is spelled right) is a cancer cell...or at least one form of cancer....I know in the bladder there are 3 types of cancer cells that can form...Squaema, adenoid and one other that I forget....I think squama was one of the more radical forms....anyway the doctor says it is benign even though these malignant cells are in it....hmmmm

rob
12-19-2009, 04:06 AM
I am happy to hear that he's home, and there weren't any complications or things go wrong with the surgery. How is he feeling today?

Rob

sick n tired
12-19-2009, 07:45 AM
Hey Rob....The surgery that he had was a very painful one....They cut down the neck and up halfway to the top of the skull....that said, the muscles in the neck were pulled apart...a young man who is fit as Timothy is. will have considerable pain just from that alone...for days it looks like his muscles were bulging from his neck...they are swollen...then there is the cutting the bone...etc.....

Going past the cerebellum as they did, Timothy is experiencing nausia and vomiting...something that is excruciating to his neck muscles...his meds are some of the culprits, though...he has decided to go off the pain meds because they made him ill last night....He is strong, however, and I believe the pain is subsiding a little in his head...I mean the migraine headache...the muscles are still stiff...

This is a lengthy explanation to your simple question,...

sick n tired
12-19-2009, 10:52 AM
Update...we are back in the hospital with Timothy...he is going for a Ct scan in a few minuter....vomiting and severe pain is what put him back here...I hope it isn't going to be long :(

magistramarla
12-19-2009, 11:00 AM
We're all keeping up with this, so please keep updating us. I hope that they can help Timothy with the nausea. Hopefully, he'll start feeling better soon.
Take care of yourself, too.
Gentle Hugs to all the family,
Marla

Angel Oliver
12-19-2009, 05:30 PM
You are all in my thoughts.xxxxxxxxx

Saysusie
12-20-2009, 10:23 AM
Yes, please keep us updated as we are all keeping him and you in our thoughts and prayers! Sending you warm hugs for all of you.

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

SandyR
12-20-2009, 01:25 PM
How's Timothy doing today?

sick n tired
12-20-2009, 11:40 PM
After a CT scan and an mri it was ascertained that Timothy had a cerebral/spinal leak...instead of go back in to find the leak they decided to thread a shunt up his spinal cord back up to where there was a pooling of the liquid...in the process they hit a nerve...so now Timothy is in massive nerve pain...terrible headache...vomitting...tonight the vomit turned red...doc isn't sure it is blood but he stepped up the meds....we are hoping to get out by Christmas Eve...to say he is depressed would have certainly be an understatement...actually, I am battling that myself as is the family....thanks for your prayers....not sure what tomorrow will bring...

abbasgirl
12-21-2009, 08:44 AM
Thanks for keeping us updated Karen.

Poor Timothy! That's awful! I hope and pray the shunt works and he gets relief from these symptoms today! My family and I are praying for you all. ((((((Hugs)))))

magistramarla
12-21-2009, 10:22 AM
Yes, thanks for updating us.
Please tell Timothy that we're all thinking of him this Christmas. I hope that what the docs are doing for him helps this time and that he starts to feel better.
You take good care of yourself, too. Keep current on your meds and try to get as much rest as you can.
We're all here for you,
Gentle Hugs,
Marla

Saysusie
12-21-2009, 01:40 PM
Oh No....I am so sorry to hear this. Please, please know that you are all in my thoughts and that I am praying for Tim. I hope that he is able to be home for Christmas, I know that would bring so much peace and comfort to everyone.

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

BonusMom
12-21-2009, 02:37 PM
I am so very sorry to hear of Timothy's challenges since he had surgery last week as a parent, we would easily trade places with our children to spare them misery. My heart breaks for you and the helplessness you must be feeling.

Thank you so much for keeping us posted on developments as they arise. Hang in there, K, and know that we're here for you. Please extend our well wishes to Timothy.

Larz77
12-21-2009, 04:02 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about your family struggles and my heart is with you and Timmy. You'll be in my prayers.

rob
12-22-2009, 03:41 AM
I hope this is just a temporary setback. Tim must be one tough kid. Tell him he has a whole bunch of people in his corner giving their thoughts and prayers for him to have a speedy recovery from all of this. I don't recall ever having said a prayer in an awfully long time, but I will say one for Tim just in case someone is listening.

Rob

brandichi
12-22-2009, 06:31 AM
I am so sorry to hear about this - my heart is with Tim, you, and your family. How awful, especially with Christmas just around the corner. I am praying for him, and will keep him on my prayer list, hoping that the pain goes away and that his body totally heals from this.

Please take extra good care of yourself right now too. I know that's hard to do, but we're all here supporting you, sending you lots of love and hugs.

mountaindreamer
12-22-2009, 08:51 PM
i am so very sorry about the complications that you all of experiencing. Tim's depression is justified......this would be too much for anyone to handle. Please tell him that he has friends from around the world, but all in his corner.

Thank you for keeping us posted, and I hope you get to go home before christmas.

my prayers and gentle hugs.

abbasgirl
12-23-2009, 08:23 AM
Hi Karen...just a note to let you know am thinking of Timothy and you and your family and still praying he heals fast and is home for Christmas. (((((Hugs)))))

sick n tired
12-31-2009, 09:35 PM
Well this update is better than the last....Timothy did come home on Christmas Eve...he is better...he was to keep the shunt in until Christmas Eve, but a few days before the shunt came apart in his hands...this meant he could contract meningitis...they took the shunt out and put another one in...would you believe that didn't work either...well the doctor said we had to take a chance that he had already healed...this is probable because of his age (18) ...anyway...we are checking his neck everyday for swelling...so far there is only a little but that is just normal and not csf leaking....he is not to do anything strenuous for 8 weeks...

Thanks for all your prayers and concern....I am really hoping this is the end of this and he will just recover....my health has been poor since all of this...we have an adopted daughter who "ran away" at the same time as the last post...she went to her aunt...(birth mom's side) it has been real emotional to say the least...we consulted a child phychologist about this and he told us that is quite normal to happen...(Well of course rebellion is normal in a teen) the family is working with us...Becca is 17 and in the state of Texas, that is basically treated as an adult...except they can't take themselves out of school or enroll in another without our say.... I am ready for things to settle down, but I really miss Becca and this next semester is not going to be great....This part of our trial is not something I can post on facebook, for those of you who are on that with me...because Rebecca and my other kids are on that...

I hope and pray all of you have a Great and Happy New year...full of good health....
Love,'
Karen

magistramarla
01-02-2010, 10:08 PM
I'm so happy to see that Timothy seems to be "on the mend". I hope that he continues to get better. Perhaps Becca was responding to the stress? Hopefully, she'll come back to her senses once things are settled down. Meanwhile, you need to focus on you for a while, and get to feeling better yourself.
Take care,
Marla

Angel Oliver
01-03-2010, 04:16 AM
Thinking of you all .xxxxxx

SandyR
01-03-2010, 08:50 PM
Hi Karen,
I've been thinking about you and Timothy. How has he been since Christmas? I have seen some posts of FB but am just now reading about Becca. When it rains, it pours, huh? Has she spoken with you yet? How are you feeling? Stll flaring?
Still thinking of and praying for you,
Sandy

abbasgirl
01-05-2010, 01:03 PM
Karen, it is good to hear from you and to know Tim got to spend Christmas at home and is better. Keep us posted, okay?

I will remember to pray for Becca.

Remember to take good care of yourself.