PDA

View Full Version : Problems swallowing

teresaa40
12-13-2009, 10:49 AM
OK, so I thought I understood my Lupus pretty well, and then this happens.

For the past year, I have been noticing that I more easily swallow things down the wrong tube, so to speak, and end up coughing and sputtering. It's starting to get scary, well, a little scary, as it happens more and more frequently, to the point where now I pay close attention to how I am swallowing when I drink. I even choke on my own saliva sometimes. WTH is going on?

Saysusie
12-14-2009, 01:45 PM
Just know that You Are Not Alone!! And, like you, this is happening more frequently with me to the point (like you) that I have to be very conscious of what I am eating and how I am swallowing. It is scary, especially when it takes a while to dislodge whatever appears to be stuck and then the coughing fit afterwards. Also, like you, I've choked on my own saliva...that is really aggravating!
I'm not sure if it is our Lupus, or if it is my old age (lol) or a combination of the two. But, it is scary, frustrating, and aggravating! I feel you sweetie!

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

abbasgirl
12-15-2009, 11:45 AM
How awful for you both! ((((Hugs))))

I have trouble swallowing but not that kind. I don't choke or feel like things are going down the wrong way. It just feels like I can't swallow all the way...like things get stuck. I saw a GI doc about it and he told me that it's a motility problem but couldn't tell me much else. Well, he did say it's common to have motility problems with the throat when a patient has ibs. He didn't explain the connection to me well at all. His treatment for it was to stretch my throat but it didn't work. My pcp says that it's common with Lupus.

I'd find a very good GI doc about it. I plan to find a better one.

abbasgirl
12-15-2009, 11:56 AM
I did some digging and found that it can also be a symptom of Fibromyalgia. Any difficulty swallowing is called dysphagia.

Found this interesting link about it...
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12913944
Snipped this from the article...
CONCLUSION: These data indicate that patients with FM have significantly increased prevalence of xerostomia, glossodynia, dysphagia, dysgeusia, and TMD compared to controls, with no significant difference in clinical oral lesions or psychological status.

AI diseases are so confusing. I'm finding there are a lot of different AI disease that can cause dysphagia along with FM.

magistramarla
12-15-2009, 12:03 PM
You're right, Abbasgirl.
There are a lot of things that can cause dysphagia. Another one is Spasmodic Dysphonia, which is one of my lovely problems. I have the same problems with swallowing that Teresa and Saysusie mentioned, with shaky vocal chords added.
Marla

kim,l
12-15-2009, 05:57 PM
Yes i have swallowing problem i begin to choke in hospital they put me on a soft food diet it helped while i was going through it bad although i am on normal foods at the moment i am still having trouble with choking it is important to be sitting upright and to make sure you chew food properly and always have water next to you i even choke on medication. When you are suffering it badly try the soft foods it really helps. Hugs kim l

Saysusie
12-16-2009, 01:29 PM
Well, since I have Lupus, Fibromyalgia, and IBS..I guess I was just doomed to have this problem and there was no escape for me! Gotta laugh, you know! If it ain't one thing it's another!!:wacko:

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

sick n tired
12-19-2009, 12:38 AM
Oh wow...I thought it was just me...I didn't know this was just another problem with either Lupus, fibro or Ibs, or gerd....not sure what but know I am added to the list of those who have problems swallowing the right way...

Bonita
12-21-2009, 10:23 AM
another symptomn answered thanks for the info. We are all in this together. Bonita

abbasgirl
12-21-2009, 10:30 AM
It's bittersweet...that feeling that you're not alone. It's sad we have it in common but it's a comfort to have others to talk to about it that know.

I still don't understand how having ibs and dysphagia are common to have together though. That one the GI doc told me makes no sense.

That an autoimmune disease is creating the ibs and the dysphagia does make sense...but what the doc said about ibs and dysphagia, still has me stumped. To my understanding, with the autoimmune dysfunction, it's all connected... but he said that about ibs and dysphagia separately from FMS and lupus, and it just makes no sense to me how those two are connected alone. Anyone understand that one?