PDA

View Full Version : What's Your Favorite Holiday Movie?

SandyR
12-12-2009, 07:42 PM
It seems like the tv is flooded with new and old holiday movies. Right now, Babes in Toyland, It's a Wonderful Life, Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer and countless other movies are playing, which made me think about my favorite holiday movies over time. What are your favorite holiday movies? Mine are:

1. It's A Wonderful Life
2. A Christmas Carol (the Mickey Mouse version)
3. Elf
4. A Christmas Story
5. March of the Wooden Soldiers
6. The Holiday
7. Miracle on 34th Street
8. National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
9. The Nightmare Before Christmas
10. Edward Scissorhands

magistramarla
12-12-2009, 08:16 PM
Here's another great oldie for you:
Holiday Inn, with Bing Crosby and Bob Hope. It's the one with the song, White Christmas.
How about the Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer Christmas special on TV? I so loved that one as a child, and my kids loved it, too.
Marla

SandyR
12-12-2009, 08:42 PM
I think I know exactly which one you mean. It's the one where the rescue the ski-lodge for their old war buddy and they marry the sisters???

I was going to add Rudolph and Home Alone. There are soooo many that I like that I just limited to 10 for me.

kim,l
12-12-2009, 11:04 PM
i like the santa claus movies with tim allen, and polar express, and scrooge,i watch these every year. merry christmas love and hugs kim l

SandyR
12-13-2009, 10:15 AM
<3 the Polar Express! It was one of my favorite children's books to read and the way the made the movie did it such honor. Another favorite children's Christmas book is The Miracle of Jonathan Toomey.

DrinkofWtr
12-13-2009, 05:34 PM
I like "A Christmas Carol" with Mr. Scrooge, Tiny Tim and the rest of the characters. Also, I like "The Grinch Who Stole Christmas".

Angel Oliver
12-14-2009, 07:44 AM
I like all that you have put up.A Christmas Carol, Scrooged,i watched Elf yesterday,Miracle on --th street (i never remember the number) oh so many.Any with santa claus in really lol.xxxxxx

Saysusie
12-14-2009, 01:36 PM
I love all versions of "A Christmas Carol"..from Mr. Magoo to Patrick Stewart! I set my TiVo to tape every version of the movie and I watch them all month (lol).
Next, I'd have to say my favorite is "A Christmas Story" with Ralphie and his red rider BB gun "You'll Shoot Your Eyes Out!!"

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

BonusMom
12-14-2009, 04:56 PM
Miracle on 34th Street warms my soul and Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer takes me down memory lane. Oh, the anticipation of Santa and all his wonderful treasures........I miss those days!

abbasgirl
12-15-2009, 11:33 AM
I didn't know Mr. Magoo did a Christmas Carol. I'll have to look for that.

They've been showing some good movies on TCM lately. Some I had never seen and some of my favorites. The Bishop's Wife with Cary Grant, Christmas in Connecticut, Tenth Avenue Angel, and Remember the Night. I love all the Christmas Carols but my favorite is with Patrick Stewart...not just because I'm a trekkie but because he was so darn good in it! When he starts to laugh out of relief and nearly kills himself from laughing...brilliantly done. Lol.

But my all time favorite Christmas special to watch, which is also my family's, is Life with Louie, A Christmas Surprise for Mrs. Stillman. It's so cute and hilarious!

SandyR
12-15-2009, 05:31 PM
wow! i never realized how many A Christmas Carol versions there are. Can't say I have ever seen the ones with Mr. Magoo or with Patrick Stewart.

rob
12-15-2009, 06:46 PM
I like It's a Wonderful Life, A Christmas Story, and Miracle on 34th Street. Great stuff, brings back some memories for me.

Rob

brandichi
12-15-2009, 08:08 PM
My favorite is a special from the 70's - The House Without A Christmas Tree. I used to watch it every year when I was a kid, and bought both a videotape and DVD a couple years ago.

I also love the animated specials - Charlie Brown, Rudolph, Frosty, and all the rest.

Somehow I never saw the old classics like Miracle on 34th Street, A Christmas Carol, or It's A Wonderful Life. I am going to try to watch at least a couple of them yet this year.

magistramarla
12-15-2009, 08:50 PM
I love all the Christmas Carols but my favorite is with Patrick Stewart...not just because I'm a trekkie but because he was so darn good in it! When he starts to laugh out of relief and nearly kills himself from laughing...brilliantly done. Lol.

Patrick Stewart is just plain darn good in anything!
I've been catching some of the schmaltzy new Christmas movies lately. I record them on the DVR and then watch them during the day when Jeff is in classes.
I howled while watching "The Twelve Men of Christmas". It was predictable, but those men were a pleasure to watch!
I recently recorded "Christmas in Canaan", because it stars Billy Ray Cyrus, and I LOVE watching him. I even volunteered to take my grandson to see the Hannah Montana movie just so that I could watch Hannah's daddy on the big screen. Unfortunately, I haven't gotten to watch my recording yet. Jeff spent the day studying at home. I'll watch it tomorrow while he takes his exam.
Marla

SandyR
12-15-2009, 08:59 PM
I saw Christmas in Canaan on tv the other day. I missed the middle 20 mins - which was apparantly the most important part, but it was still good.

abbasgirl
12-16-2009, 11:06 AM
Patrick Stewart is just plain darn good in anything!

I totally agree, Marla! He's a great actor! :yes:

Saysusie
12-16-2009, 01:25 PM
Marla and Abbasgirl;
Re: Patrick Stewart..I, too, totally agree! Actually, his version of "A Christmas Carol" is my absolute favorite. I've watched it 3 times already this season :yes:

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

magistramarla
12-16-2009, 07:53 PM
Yes, Patrick Stewart was the main reason that I became a fan of The X-Men. How I love those intelligent men with the sexy voices!
I've also got a thing for cute country boys with great voices. I finally got to watch Christmas in Canaan today. I did enjoy it, and of course I enjoyed Billy Ray. He was inspired to write and record the theme song just by reading the script! That's talent!
Marla

bunnie
12-20-2009, 08:30 PM
My favorite christmas movie is "White Christmas" with Bing Crosby and Danny Kaye. I'm a sucker for those old musical movies... :yes:
Merry Christmas!
Deb