PDA

View Full Version : Fell today, but I could get up!

magistramarla
12-10-2009, 09:00 PM
I haven't had problems with Meniere's in quite a while, but today it decided to rear its ugly little head. I stood up from the couch and was walking away when I suddenly had a bout of vertigo. I felt myself falling, so I twisted so as not to hit the coffee table, and did a swan dive onto the floor. I guess that I naturally protected the right knee that has had surgery, so I went down on the left knee and elbow. Both of the cats came running to love up against me and make sure that "Mommy" was OK. I crawled back to the couch and pulled myself onto it.
With rest, the vertigo went away, but my left ear has been ringing all afternoon. That's how I know that it's the Meniere's. Besides the sore knee and elbow, I must have twisted my back, too. I'm a miserable lump on the couch with the heating pad tonight. It looks like this is going to be a naproxin night.
Marla

kim,l
12-10-2009, 09:06 PM
oh marla i am sorry to hear you fell please take care of yourself it is a terrible feeling when you are falling and trying to stop yourself hope your painkillers work and you get better soon i will be thinking of you love and hugs for a speedy recovery kim l

BonusMom
12-10-2009, 09:09 PM
Oh M, so sorry that you fell today and are feeling bruised and battered. My father-in-law suffers from severe vertigo and it's just plain miserable to witness his "attacks" and subsequent nausea and disorientation. I'm glad that you had the wherewithall to protect your surgical knee, but hope you didn't injure your elbow, rt knee and back too much. Afterall, you've got a new baby that's going to be needing some cradling in a couple of weeks.

Take care of yourself and hold down the couch a couple of days

SandyR
12-10-2009, 09:18 PM
oh Marla, I am sorry to hear you had a spill. That was some quick thinking to twist away from the coffee table. How are you feeling now?

debbie-b
12-11-2009, 05:15 AM
Hi Marla,

Hope you are feeling better today.
I get bouts of dizzyness, the doc. does not know why. Some days I sit in my chair and turn my head and fall over like a tree.
Be careful and watch your step.

Debbie

brandichi
12-11-2009, 06:50 AM
Oh Marla, I'm so sorry to hear about your fall. Isn't it awful to feel you're falling and know there's not much you can do about it? I had that over the summer, when my doctor wanted me to try Evoxac and I kept losing my balance from it. I'm glad you were able to protect your knee and avoid hitting the coffee table. Take good care of yourself today - snuggle with your furbabies and the heating pad, watch some of that awful daytime tv or read and just pamper yourself. I hope the pain eases quickly. ((((Hugs))))

mountaindreamer
12-11-2009, 06:57 AM
good morning marla,

i know your body is sore today, so you just rest and let it heal. So glad you were able to avoid the coffee table, but it sounds like the elbow and knee took a hard blow. So glad the kitties were there to love on you and help you feel better.

Please be careful, and take care of yourself.

abbasgirl
12-11-2009, 10:06 AM
Marla...(((((Hugs)))) How are you today?

magistramarla
12-11-2009, 01:39 PM
Thanks for the thoughts, girls!
The naproxin did its thing last night, and I'm better today, just feeling stiff all over. As Brandichi suggested, I'm cuddled on the couch with Casper and Dax today, watching The Food Network.
Tonight is Sci-Friday, we have plenty of good leftovers in the fridge, and good booze stocked in the bar, so guess how our evening is going to go? Jeff will have three of his five classes over with after he takes an exam and does a presentation today. He has two more exams next week and he and his lab partner have to finish writing up some results, and then his first quarter at NPS is finished!! (11 more to go!)
Marla

pandagirl
12-11-2009, 02:09 PM
Marla!!! Are you okay?? Holy cow...scary...does antivert help or have no effect on the Meniere's?

rob
12-11-2009, 03:57 PM
I'm glad to hear you are OK Marla. I took a fall last year from MS related stuff, and my cats came to the "rescue" too. I'm glad you somewhat caught yourself, and are feeling OK tonight.

Rob

smokerscat94
12-12-2009, 01:01 PM
Sorry to hear about your fall! I am so gald you are ok! Take care

HUGZ

Saysusie
12-12-2009, 02:12 PM
Oh Marla..so sorry to hear about your fall. It has been quite a while since this has happened hasn't it? I'm glad you were able to get up and that you are doing better. Please take care of yourself!

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

Serenity81
12-12-2009, 04:21 PM
Food Network rocks! And snuggling with our furbabies is always good medicine!!

Glad to hear that you're taking care of yourself.

I work with a girl who has Meniere's and I've seen first-hand how debilitating and scary it can be when it decides to flare up. Hope you're up and around and feeling better soon.

magistramarla
12-12-2009, 08:09 PM
Luckily for me, the vertigo doesn't happen too often, and when it does, I can usually catch myself on a wall or piece of furniture and "walk it off". Once in a while, though, it catches me totally by surprise and down I go. It used to happen occasionally when I was teaching, and it would give my students a bit of a scare.
The only thing that I take for it is Allegra, supposedly to help keep the inner ear drier. I think that the docs are reluctant to medicate me more than that, since I don't have the symptoms too often.
I'm feeling fine today - I even drove in the rain and played Santa's Helper all morning. I refuse to let things keep me down very long!
Thanks, all!!
Marla

kim,l
12-13-2009, 03:17 PM
glad to hear your feeling better marla merry christmas to you and your family and hope you get your little miracle on christmas i wish your daughter the best say safe and pain free my friend love and hugs and good wishes kim l

DrinkofWtr
12-13-2009, 05:30 PM
So sorry you took a fall. Hope you get better quickly.