PDA

View Full Version : Strange Weather

rob
12-03-2009, 10:50 PM
Today was a really odd day here. I live in Maine, and although we don't always have a white Christmas in this part of the state, we usually have some snow, and almost always the temperature is near zero in the first part of December. On this day last year, my yard was already under 2 feet of snow, and the high for the day was 20 degrees.

Today, it was 71 degrees, and the sun was out for most of the day. It's 12:35 AM now, and it's 65 degrees still. I have my windows open like it's a wonderfully cool summer night, and it's December the 4th! This is just beyond strange. I went for a walk, on the trail behind my house, the moon lighted my way. It felt like a summer night, and a mosquito even bit me. I saw a Bluejay out on the birdhouse I put up back in July. It's just unheard of to be this warm in December. The news people are all talking about the possible reasons-who knows. I just know I had a good, and very unexpected walk tonight, and it felt good. I also had a good report from my Neurologist-no progression of nerve/myelin damage from either MS or SLE. What a day!

Rob

debbie-b
12-04-2009, 05:23 AM
Hi Rob,

All I can say is, enjoy it while you can, the nice weather and the good news. You know either one can change in a second.
I live in upstate NY and haven't worn my winter coat yet. Maybe I have to start today, high temp today, 35 F.

Debbie

abbasgirl
12-04-2009, 08:05 AM
I am so happy to hear the good news your doctor shared, Rob! That is excellent news! So glad you had a good day...you deserve many many many of them!

If the weather were to turn warm here like that I'd be depressed. lol. I'm sick of the warm weather and glad it's finally cold in Georgia. The weatherman says we may see snow flurries tomorrow. :banana:

DrinkofWtr
12-04-2009, 08:59 AM
So glad you had a good day Rob. What freaky weather for you!

debbie-b
12-04-2009, 12:49 PM
Talk about freaky weather. My daughter just called me from Houston Texas, to tell me that they have 2 inches of snow.
She is all excided,32 years old, she misses the snow.

Debbie

magistramarla
12-04-2009, 03:34 PM
Oh Yeah, weird weather.
We've been hearing from friends and relatives in San Antonio. They are expecting 1-4 inches of snow there. I saw a great picture online of palm trees covered in snow in El Paso, of all places!
Jeff and I are frustrated. We lived there for 17 years and the most we saw was a bit of ice. Now that we've moved, they get snow!
Marla

sick n tired
12-04-2009, 04:23 PM
yes the weather really is weird this year...I am in Texas...Snow at this time is almost unheard of.....especially when it is warm up north....

sick n tired
12-04-2009, 04:25 PM
Oh Rob...sorry...Congrats to you on your good news...we all live to hear such nice words from the doc....

SandyR
12-04-2009, 09:45 PM
Rob it was in the 70's yesterday here too. Tomorrow we are supposed to have snow. Crazy weather! smh.

SandyR
12-04-2009, 09:46 PM
oh, and also congrats on the good news from the doc. I am happy for you to hear that.

Samo
12-05-2009, 08:29 PM
Rob,

Awesome news from your neuro, congrats!

Samo

rob
12-06-2009, 02:50 AM
Oh no! I just got up, and there's a foot of snow on the ground! From 70 degrees and sunny, to a foot of snow in three days, strange weather!

Rob

BonusMom
12-06-2009, 08:42 AM
It got to the 20's at my place. Too bad there was no precipitation here, otherwise, we'd have a foot ourselves (not a bad thing!).

Glad to hear that you have a super duper turbo snow blower. Shoveling is just too much work!

SandyR
12-06-2009, 04:32 PM
You can keep that snow! I would rather have the warm days. It was cold slushy rain all last night and today was sunny and warm and dry as a bone. Figures that yesterday I was mostly outdoors and today I was mostly in. :laugh:

Bonita
12-06-2009, 06:02 PM
congratulations on the good news from your doctor Rob and we have been having strange weather here too. I live in Lebanon ,Pa. about 23 miles from Hershey. Bonita

BonusMom
12-07-2009, 09:55 AM
I live east of Sacramento, CA and we get a dusting of snow annually-nothing to write home about. The snow gods worked overtime last night and I awoke to six inches of the most beautiful snow! I live on a hilltop and the driveway has a bit of an incline so I called in to work ie snow day. I am going to do some baking to make the house smell like the holidays. I think I'm finding a bit of that Christmas spirit!

magistramarla
12-07-2009, 10:47 AM
Hey BonusMom,
I've been seeing the snow in the San Fransisco area all over the news this morning, and I was thinking about you. We just have a really chilly rain here on the coast.
I had to get up early to take DH to school this morning. He couldn't ride his bike, and I need the car for for my mammogram appointment this afternoon. (Joy of joys - not the best reason to need the car!).
Marla

BonusMom
12-07-2009, 10:51 AM
Tomorrow the roads will surely be treacherous as it is expected to be in the 20's overnight. I am missing work today because of the snow, but there's no way I can miss tomorrow too since I missed two days last week due to illness.

brandichi
12-08-2009, 07:08 AM
Congratulations on the good news, Rob!!!

Weather here has been a bit strange too. Usually we have snow by November, but we didn't even have a flurry the entire month. Yesterday there were a few flakes, but they didn't last long enough to even cover the ground. They're saying snow is coming today or tomorrow, but I hope not. I have plans for the next two nights, if I'm up to it, and I hate driving in the snow.

I did buy an AWESOME purple long wool coat, though, so I won't mind all that much if it's cold, although I prefer it warm enough not to need it.

adl011
12-08-2009, 10:31 AM
Rob,

There has been some CRAZY weather so far this year. I'm from Louisiana, and we NEVER see snow. I'm in the northern part of the state, and we have snow more than the South and its very rare. Friday, Dec. 4th, we got some snow flurries for about an hour, nothing stuck, but it was still nice to see. The last time we had snow before Jan 1st was in 2000 when we had a TERRIBLE ice/snow storm. The snow and ice lasted almost 3 weeks. We were without power for about 2 weeks, and still couldn't travel until about 3 and a half weeks. It was crazy. Now they are saying our winter could be worse than that one. The funny part is, South Louisiana got 2 inches of snow on friday!!! It was so crazy. I hope you enjoy your warm weather, it's about 35 degrees here, and we're FREEZING. It's usually between upper 40s and lower 50s at this point. We hadn't even unpacked our winter stuff yet.

Have a great week!

~Amanda

magistramarla
12-08-2009, 11:09 AM
I talked to my son who lives in Houston yesterday, and he told me that on Friday, they had quite a bit of snow. He said that he and the other young guys at work went out on the grounds of the building that they work in and had a giant snowball fight.
He still remembers playing in the snow when he was small when we lived in Ohio, so he had a great time.
Marla