PDA

View Full Version : Swollen Thingies in Back of Throat

BonusMom
12-03-2009, 04:52 PM
Sorry I haven't been more active on the forum of late but I've been knocked down flat due to the flu.

I went to my PCP to make sure I wasn't cursed with H1N1. A long swab stuck up my nose and 15 mins showed I don't have Petunia Flu, just a virus.

The doctor said that if I'd had a fever she would've given me Tamiflu because of my other health issues. She thought it strange that I have no fever, yet have horrible achiness all over, loose bowels, a sore throat and a feeling of fullness in my neck--not indicative of a "normal" flu or virus. Her exam showed BP of 100/74 and swollen/red/inflammed thingies at the back of my throat and swollen lymph nodes in my neck.

I had my tonsils and adenoids removed as a very little girl because of repeat ear infections.

So.......what are those thingies that swell up in the back of your throat, they're behind the uvula and look like little balls.....

SandyR
12-03-2009, 06:25 PM
could they be your vocal chords?

Saysusie
12-03-2009, 07:56 PM
It could just be swollen glands. The throat has many different glands, the ones situated near the back of the throat are:
The paratoid salivary glands, the paratoid lymph glands, the cervical lymph glands and the submandibular lymph glands. Any of these can become swollen due to colds, flu, infection or virus!!

Hope this answers you question

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

BonusMom
12-03-2009, 08:20 PM
Thanks, Saysusie! My voice is now real sultry (DH thinks it's sexy), but I can't talk very long without taking sips of water (perhaps THAT'S really what he thinks is sexy?). Anywho, I haven't had a virus in a long time and not since I've been dx'ed with Sjogren's. Since my mouth has been the most severely impacted by SjS and I've not run a fever with this virus, I'm wondering if it's a Sjogren's flare?

magistramarla
12-03-2009, 08:58 PM
Sorry to read that you are sick, Bonusmom. Whatever it is, take good care of yourself. Have you ever heard of Traditional Medicinal Teas? They have one call Throat Coat that is very soothing to the throat. The teas are available in a lot of supermarkets as well as in health food stores. If you have a Whole Foods Market, look there.
Gentle Hugs,
Marla

BonusMom
12-03-2009, 09:04 PM
Thanks for the well wishes, Marla. Interesting that you mentioned Throat Coat in particular as my wonderful MIL told me about it tonight. I think they carry it at my local market, but if not, I'll make the trek to Whole Foods.

abbasgirl
12-04-2009, 08:12 AM
So sorry you're suffering, Bonusmom. ((((Hugs))))

I'm wondering if it's possible your tonsils grew, or are growing, back.