PDA

View Full Version : Wild Animal Attack!

magistramarla
12-02-2009, 08:47 PM
At 4:30 this afternoon, my very pregnant daughter called me, screaming hysterically. I thought that she was in labor. As it turned out, she had gone out to put the garbage into the trash bin and a raccoon jumped out of the bin and onto her. It had launched itself off of her head and chest.
I calmed her down somewhat and asked if it had bit her - no, thank goodness. Then I asked whether it had scratched her. She looked in a mirror and said that her face was ok. Then she saw that she had a big scratch on one breast, and that it was red and swollen. I had her to clean it and put neosporin on it.
I told her to call her hubby at work and to call the Dr., since he might want her on antibiotics. Sure enough, the nurse first checked to make sure that she didn't have to worry about rabies, since it wasn't a bite, and then called in a prescription for antibiotics. Tyler's grandparents took her to get the prescription. The last that I talked to her, she was taking her medicine and going to bed to wait for her hubby to get home.
Wow, what a long-distance emergency call!
GrandmaMarla - to the rescue!

scubagramplit
12-02-2009, 09:16 PM
Wow, what a way to end the day, I pray that she is ok, darned raccoons anyway.

rob
12-02-2009, 09:46 PM
I'm glad she's OK Marla. I'm especially glad she only got a scratch, and not a bite. Antibiotics are a wise precaution in situations like this. When things like this happen, it will scare the hell out of a person regardless of what sort of animal it is, especially coming from out of nowhere and right in your face like that. Wow, I'm just glad it's only a scratch.

We had a pretty nasty situation happen here a couple of years ago. My sis and I were out walking when the neighbors German Sheperd went nuts, broke it's chain, and attacked her. We're way out in the woods, and being bear country, I always carry a pistol on walks. It was on her arm thrashing and I didn't dare shoot so kicked it in the ribs. It got on her again and grabbed her in the kidney area, and I kicked it a couple more times. It let go just for a second but then went for her face and throat at which point I shot it twice and killed it.

We had both petted that dog numerous times, and it was the nicest dog around, and always happy to see people. The neighbor is an elderly man, and he never once had a problem with the dog. He felt terrible about the attack, I felt terrible about killing it but I had no choice. He ran outside when he heard the screams, and witnessed the attack, but I was so focused on the dog and getting a clear shot, I didn't even hear him yelling at me to shoot. It was crazy. The game warden had animal control test for rabies or some problem that would cause the dog to snap, but they found nothing. Sis ended up in the hospital with a couple of fractured ribs and multiple lacerations and puncture wounds. She's doing fine these days, but it was a terrifying experience.

I'm glad your situation turned out relatively OK.

Rob

abbasgirl
12-03-2009, 07:25 AM
I'm so glad your daughter is okay. Oh Racoons can be so mean! They're adorable but can be ferocious. I'm praying she heals quickly, Marla.

Rob...:shocked:...DUDE! You are THE MAN!

I'd love to have a brother like you!!! Your poor sister. I bet that took quite a while to get over.

magistramarla
12-03-2009, 09:56 AM
Meg owns a beautiful German Shepherd. She was thankful that she hadn't let him follow her outside. We're sure that he would have attacked the raccoon to protect her, and she might have wound up in the pet emergency room with Conner, as well as dealing with her own problems.
Marla

pandagirl
12-03-2009, 02:57 PM
Oh Marla..thats a call I wouldn't want...she is so lucky it didn't trigger labor! I was bitten by a dog as a child that had no shots yet..yipes..I only had to get a tetanus shot and the dog was kept in isolation for 10 days..no rabies.
Rob..your sister is so lucky you were there... with weapon!! I have had three dog bites in my life, as a child, it is very traumatic. As an adult, I eventually got two dalmatians and that really cured me of my fear of big dogs.

iseedeadmonkeys
12-03-2009, 03:05 PM
OMG Marla thats sooo scary......whats a racoon?

ISDM
xxx

BonusMom
12-03-2009, 05:23 PM
Poor Grandma Marla! I'm so sorry you got such a scary phone call. I'm so relieved that your daughter sustained just a scratch and perhaps one of the most frightening things EVER! My only close encounter with a raccoon was when we were camping (Bonus Daughter's first ever camping trip) and sitting around the campfire, playing charades, when we saw four eyes glowing in the dark. The stinkers stole our bread (no freench toast for us the next morning) and scurried off.

The thought of people undergoing rabies' shots makes me queasy as I've heard they are very, very painful.

Please extend our wishes for a an "easy" delivery and a healthy baby boy.

SandyR
12-03-2009, 06:05 PM
@Marla - OMG that is quite a fright! I am glad to hear it worked out in a positive way.

@Rob - WOW! Did your sister end up scared of dogs? I can't even imagine what I would have done if I were in your situation, especially since I don't have a gun to bring on hikes with me. Your sister is lucky you were there and prepared.

@panda - I am glad to hear that you are now free from your fear.

@Jane - see attached. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raccoon. They look cute and furry but can be quiet dangerous.

Saysusie
12-03-2009, 08:00 PM
Marla; My gosh, that is a very scary story and I am so thankful that she was not seriously injured. That is certainly a blessings, but is there any way that she can ward of racoons to avoid another situation like that?

Rob; You are the man I want around when I am in a dangerous situation. How you managed to stay focused and calm simply amazes me. I am so sure that your sister is very grateful for you! I'm glad to hear that even the dog's owner realized that the dog had to be stopped with deadly force!

Best Wishes to both of you
Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

magistramarla
12-03-2009, 08:37 PM
SaySusie,
Yes, she has the perfect solution. From now on, the trash piles up until Tyler gets home!
Marla

rob
12-03-2009, 10:02 PM
Marla; My gosh, that is a very scary story and I am so thankful that she was not seriously injured. That is certainly a blessings, but is there any way that she can ward of racoons to avoid another situation like that?

Rob; You are the man I want around when I am in a dangerous situation. How you managed to stay focused and calm simply amazes me. I am so sure that your sister is very grateful for you! I'm glad to hear that even the dog's owner realized that the dog had to be stopped with deadly force!

Best Wishes to both of you
Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

It's really weird, I still think about it alot. I've been around, and worked with firearms my whole life. I've taught many classes for people who applied for a concealed carry permit, I've had to point a loaded weapon at people while in the Army. But this thing with the dog was the first, and I hope, the last time I ever have to actually fire a weapon in a situation like that. Everybody kids me about being 'A Gunsmith', and being a good shot, but I was just glad that all I had learned ended up letting me hit that damn dog, and not a person. It was just a screwed up situation.

Anyway, my father told me that if you find yourself in a life or death situation, and you have the means to do something about it, then it's your obligation as a person to act. To do anything less, is unacceptable.

Marla, how is Meg doing tonight? I hope she's doing OK.

Rob

abbasgirl
12-04-2009, 08:09 AM
SaySusie,
Yes, she has the perfect solution. From now on, the trash piles up until Tyler gets home!
Marla

I'm glad to hear that.

I don't venture outside at night around here ever...or at least not far from the house. The coyotes are scary here...even though I've been told they won't come near any houses, sometimes it sounds like they're VERY close. :wideeyed:

DrinkofWtr
12-04-2009, 09:09 AM
I had raccoons living in my garage once when I lived in Oregon. We had a huge 25 lb. sack of cat food in there for the cats and a raccoon was bringing her babies there to eat. We got them out of the garage. No more 25 lbs. of dry cat food anymore. Just small bags kept inside the house. I didn't have anymore raccoon problems after that.

I didn't realize they were so vicious. Nice to know. They are wild animals though and like all wild animals are unpredictable in their behavior when I think about it.

magistramarla
12-04-2009, 03:41 PM
Hi Rob,
I talked to Meg today, and she's feeling fine - the antibiotics are doing their thing, and the scratch is healing. She's back to just being anxious to have that baby.
Thanks for asking.
Hugs,
Marla

Saysusie
12-06-2009, 05:38 AM
That is good news Marla...

Rob;
I am so sure that you never want to be in that type of situation again. But it is very fortunate that when the situation arose, you were there!!

We had a family of raccoons that, somehow, dug through the flashing in our chimney and made a home in out attic. I kept hearing noises like someone walking on our roof and it scared me to tears. Finally, my husband took a ladder and climbed up on the roof only to be met, face to face, with the beady eyes of this family of racoons. The humane society gave us a cage and told us to put peanut butter in it. We did and, the next morning, one racoon was in the cage. We took it to the humane society. The rest of the family just hunkered down even more!!
We had to punch a hole in our ceiling and spray (3 times/day) pure amonia in their little nest. They finally left but not until they had done significant damage (which led to water damage in the ceiling because it rained while they were making their little home up there!). We had to re-tile the roof, put new flashing on the fireplace, put new dry wall and plaster on the ceiling and re-paint the entire room!! What a nightmare!
So, I am no fan of racoons at all! Beady-eyed little psychopaths!!
:angry-explosion:

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

iseedeadmonkeys
12-06-2009, 09:07 AM
Looks like a fox......

ISDM