PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving

BonusMom
11-22-2009, 03:17 PM
Just wondering what your plans are for Thanksgiving............

Are you traveling? Are you hosting/cooking? Spending time with friends or family (and if you're lucky they're one and the same!)?

We'll be traveling to my sister-in-law's home, two hours from us. I expect it'll be very low key. I am hoping my tummy will allow me to savor the turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy, as well as my mother-in-law's famous tapioca pudding :)

SandyR
11-22-2009, 06:50 PM
I am traveling this year. Right now I am visiting a friend in Utica. Tuesday morning I will be picking up my niece in Burlington and on Wednesday morning we are driving to her house in Philly. I will be racking up almost 1000 miles this week.

Lala
11-22-2009, 07:57 PM
We will drive across town...lol the twin cities area, to my sister-in-laws and spend it with family, lots of family, kids, and food.
I am very thankful for family, good friends and this great country.

mountaindreamer
11-22-2009, 08:59 PM
i am having my children and grandchildren, my cousin, and any others that want to join us. My thanksgiving tradition is to open my home to anyone who isn't able to be with their family. I am ordering most of the food, because my body won't let me cook all of it anymore. Then on Friday, jim and I leave for a week's vacation at the Outer Banks in North Carolina.

Happy thanksgiving to my family here at WHL.

Saysusie
11-23-2009, 08:38 AM
We are forgoing the big dinner and are taking a family trip to Disneyland instead! I am really looking forward to that and am praying that the pain subsides enough for me to enjoy the day!!

Happy Thanksgiving To Everyone!

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

rob
11-23-2009, 08:56 AM
My family is getting together at my youngest sister's house this year. My niece lives in Boston and she's coming up, but my nephew in the Army had to choose between taking leave at Christmas or Thanksgiving, and he chose Christmas, so he won't be there.

We always have local game and items from my families various properties. Mom picks blackberries at her house and makes blackberry pie. One brother in law shot a wild turkey yesterday, and the other bagged a moose. So turkey and moose are the main dish for the day. We also have fresh cider right from the orchard and sweet potatoes from mom's garden.

Sis just lives down the road, and my folks drive by my house on the way, so they will pick me up so I don't have to drive. It will be a good day, and quite a feast, I can't wait!

Rob

magistramarla
11-23-2009, 03:56 PM
Jeff and I will be on our own for Thanksgiving this year for the first time in many, many years. We thought that we would be at home that day, but I recently found something better to do.
Some of the members of the NPS Wives' Club sponsor a dinner at the military community center for the single students and those families who are staying in The Navy Lodge for Thanksgiving. I called and volunteered some food, my huge punch bowls and crock pot, and our time.
I'm taking a couple of pans of dressing and some home made pies. I always make apple pie for holidays that two of my sons-in-law fight over. Those two are gonna miss the old girl this year!
At least we won't be missing the big family get-together so much, since we'll have a lot of people to be with.
I wish everyone else here a great Thanksgiving!
Hugs,
Marla

tiggerlishus - Heidi
11-23-2009, 05:30 PM
We always have local game and items from my families various properties. Mom picks blackberries at her house and makes blackberry pie. One brother in law shot a wild turkey yesterday, and the other bagged a moose. So turkey and moose are the main dish for the day. We also have fresh cider right from the orchard and sweet potatoes from mom's garden.

wow rob that sounds yummy!! i've never tried moose!! well execpt the chocolate variety obviously lol :-) does it taste familier to anything else?

well my plans are to meet up with ISDM and Stoney at stoney for thankgiving and have dinner drinks and our normal antics over there!! so should be fun!! :)) x hope everyone has great thanksgiving x

rob
11-23-2009, 06:25 PM
h
wow rob that sounds yummy!! i've never tried moose!! well execpt the chocolate variety obviously lol :-) does it taste familier to anything else?

well my plans are to meet up with ISDM and Stoney at stoney for thankgiving and have dinner drinks and our normal antics over there!! so should be fun!! :)) x hope everyone has great thanksgiving x

Moose doesn't taste much different than beef. It's got just a little different flavor and texture. Much of the good flavor and such comes from how it's processed. Also, it's dependant on how the moose is taken. You can take one with a bow, but they have enough time to react, they run, and the adrenaline flowing ruins the meat. A quick, instant takedown with a well placed rifle shot is the best. And they are lean, so the steaks have to be cooked in a way that wont dry them out. When it's all done right, it's as good as any Porterhouse or New York Strip. Moose is considered somewhat of a delicacy here, because they only offer a few hundred moose permits each year by lottery. The fish and game people figure out the right number to take in each years hunt so as to keep the overall herd statewide healthy. I like moose tenderloin rubbed with garlic and olive oil, wrapped in bacon, and slow cooked. Mmmm!

magistramarla
11-24-2009, 10:01 AM
Rob,
Moose sounds delicious. We had a friend when we were stationed in Ok. who always went hunting in Arkansas and brought back fresh venison. I have a recipe using venison and Shiner Boch that my kids always called beer stew - good stuff!
Once, Billy managed to get Jeff to go hunting with him. The guys in Ark. found out that we were from up north, so we were **** Yankees. Then, they found out that Jeff was from New York, so he was called something worse. Jeff bagged a very small deer, so the guys said, "Lookie, lookie the ***-**** Yankee shot Bambie!" Poor Jeff! It was certainly some good meat, though.
Enjoy that delicious game. I wish that I could have some.
Marla

rob
11-24-2009, 12:54 PM
It's funny Marla, after working in the firearms industry my whole life, and being an avid outdoorsman, you would think that I would be a hunter, but I'm not. Not that I have any sort of problem with it or anything. I'm all for safe, legal, and ethical hunting, but it has never appealed to me personally. I do enjoy going along with my nephew and brother in law on their hunting trips as an extra set of eyes, and to help if they bag something really big in a remote spot, but the actual shooting never appealed to me. Kinda weird huh?

Rob

mountaindreamer
11-24-2009, 04:29 PM
I will share a comical story about hunting. I am not a hunter, i do enjoy target shooting, but have never hunted. Several years ago, i went with my brother and we sat in the tree stand. While sitting, we were discussing how sorry my ex was because of the way he was treating the kids. About that time, a huge buck came walking out of the brush, my brother handed me his rifle, told me to put the spot on the deer's heart (i had no idea where that was), and when he told me to pull the trigger, i did - never expecting that i would make a hit. Well, i laid that deer right out, my brother started jumping up and down, and I sat there and felt like a sorry individual.

So, there is now a picture on the wall at the farm house of me and this big buck. The caption reads "the day sis shot Ernie". (Ernie is my sorry ex).

that is my story about hunting. and everytime i visit the farm, i am reminded of the day. I will admit, that i do chuckle at the thought of shooting my ex.

SandyR
11-24-2009, 07:39 PM
The guys in Ark. found out that we were from up north, so we were **** Yankees. Then, they found out that Jeff was from New York, so he was called something worse. Jeff bagged a very small deer, so the guys said, "Lookie, lookie the ***-**** Yankee shot Bambie!"

Marla,
When I lived in VA & people found out I was from NY, I heard the Yankee word a lot too. Even from someone who was a boss of mine at the time.
Sandy

BonusMom
11-24-2009, 09:22 PM
Mountaindreamer-it's a darn good thing I'd swallowed my drink before I read your post, otherwise I surely would've spit it all over my Blackberry. What a visual of you taking a shot at good ole Ernie and taking that deer out ;). Gosh, I needed that!

I've not ever had moose although I used to eat venison quite a bit when I was younger as my dad worked in the "woods" and had many, many opportunity to snag a deer while at work. I have to tell you Rob, that the fresh apple cider and homemade blackberry pie sound glorious.

So glad that you've found a fantastic way to spend your Thanksgiving, Marla. It does the heart good to do for others when you are able.

magistramarla
11-24-2009, 09:47 PM
Rob,
I don't handle the hunting part at all well. I'll cook almost anything, but it has to come to me properly cut up and looking nothing like the animal it came from. On that same trip to Arkansas many years ago, the kids milked the goats and went gigging for frogs. I refused to see the dead frogs, but when they brought me the properly cleaned frogs' legs, I helped to deep-fry them and made gravy from the goats' milk - delicious!

Phyllis,
Your great hunting story reminded me of one that my mother-in-law, Lee, told:
When she was a young teen in NC, she and her friend decided to go rabbit hunting. Left alone in a field, Lee heard something in the bushes. After she was certain that her friend was behind her, she nervously shot at the bushes. Then, both girls held each other when a large something came out of the bushes. It was a cow that staggered toward them, mooed, and fell over dead. Knowing that they would be in trouble, the girls swore each other to secrecy and ran home.
Now, Lee's father was the county judge, and he swore that he would find the poacher who had shot his neighbor's cow. The two girls kept their secret, and the poacher wasn't found. Years later, after Lee had married Bill and told him the story, Bill repeated it to his father-in-law. Lee's father roared at her - "You, my own daughter, were the one who shot my neighbor's cow? I tried to solve that case for years!" She never lived it down.
Mom is gone now, but she will always live on in her great stories.
Marla

rob
11-24-2009, 10:24 PM
I guess the way to look at it is that we like the sausage, but don't want to see how it's made!

Oluwa
11-25-2009, 06:51 AM
Macy's Day Parade.

Suppose to be a sunny, clear day. Before an early dinner...Ball throwing with Riley at the park....R/C flying planes and Helios...

My husband and I are filling our bellies with a bird packed full with sausage sage stuffing, shortbread pie crust pumpkin pie....pumpkin sage mini-loaves.

Look at the mess in the kitchen... oh well, it can wait and grab a piece of pie instead...

Quiet Day.

I hope everyone has a feel good day...and remember to enjoy it too. Ask for help, delegate things to do from start to finish. Don't feel like you have to do it all..cause in the end, if we do I think we end up becoming a grimacing host.

Happy Thanksgiving...and enjoy the leftover cranberry, stuffing sandwiches...a fav of mine.

Love,
Oluwa

Saysusie
11-25-2009, 10:36 AM
You day sounds wonderful, Oluwa :cute:
We will be at Disneyland and I am so looking forward to that!

Thank you for the excellent advice too!

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

BonusMom
11-25-2009, 11:35 AM
I guess the way to look at it is that we like the sausage, but don't want to see how it's made!

I wholeheartedly agree!

rob
11-25-2009, 01:34 PM
Macy's Day Parade.

Suppose to be a sunny, clear day. Before an early dinner...Ball throwing with Riley at the park....R/C flying planes and Helios...

My husband and I are filling our bellies with a bird packed full with sausage sage stuffing, shortbread pie crust pumpkin pie....pumpkin sage mini-loaves.

Look at the mess in the kitchen... oh well, it can wait and grab a piece of pie instead...

Quiet Day.

I hope everyone has a feel good day...and remember to enjoy it too. Ask for help, delegate things to do from start to finish. Don't feel like you have to do it all..cause in the end, if we do I think we end up becoming a grimacing host.

Happy Thanksgiving...and enjoy the leftover cranberry, stuffing sandwiches...a fav of mine.

Love,
Oluwa

What a coincidence, my brother in law asked me to bring one of my R/C helicopters with me tomorrow, as he's interested in learning R/C planes/helo's, and he has a huge yard. That shortbread pumpkin pie sounds delicious, I could just eat the pie crust alone and be happy. Have a great Thanksgiving!

Rob

teresaa40
11-26-2009, 02:46 AM
I'm here at work, fielding 911 calls, and watching the clock tick for a 12 hour night shift. 7am will bring me home, to pop the turkey in the oven and sack out for the day while everyone else heats up the food I made yesterday.

We don't have family nearby, we are in Utah, they are in Minnesota and Maryland, so, it's just the hubby and the five kids. Then, 7pm and I'll be back at work for another 12.

The good news, I don't have to work after that until Monday night.

rob
11-26-2009, 08:17 AM
I'm here at work, fielding 911 calls, and watching the clock tick for a 12 hour night shift. 7am will bring me home, to pop the turkey in the oven and sack out for the day while everyone else heats up the food I made yesterday.

We don't have family nearby, we are in Utah, they are in Minnesota and Maryland, so, it's just the hubby and the five kids. Then, 7pm and I'll be back at work for another 12.

The good news, I don't have to work after that until Monday night.

Hi Teresa,

Being a 911 operator must be like some of my military duty from many years ago. Long periods of boredom that are sometimes interrupted by brief periods of excitement/terror/all hell breaking loose.

I know what you mean about family. I went for many years with my family in Maine, and me in Arizona. I now live only a few miles away from pretty much my entire family here in Maine now, and I am very thankful for it, especially on days like today. I hope you have a good Thanksgiving.

Rob

megan_mears
11-26-2009, 01:22 PM
I'll be eating with my siister (whom I live with in an in-law suite),broyher in law,2 nieces, and my mother is down from Va where I am originally from. I smell the food cooking now, I can't wait. I am thankful to be alive no matter how trying it can be, and I pray that everyone has a great thanksgivingday!!!!!!

tiggerlishus - Heidi
11-26-2009, 04:13 PM
h

Moose doesn't taste much different than beef. It's got just a little different flavor and texture. Much of the good flavor and such comes from how it's processed. Also, it's dependant on how the moose is taken. You can take one with a bow, but they have enough time to react, they run, and the adrenaline flowing ruins the meat. A quick, instant takedown with a well placed rifle shot is the best. And they are lean, so the steaks have to be cooked in a way that wont dry them out. When it's all done right, it's as good as any Porterhouse or New York Strip. Moose is considered somewhat of a delicacy here, because they only offer a few hundred moose permits each year by lottery. The fish and game people figure out the right number to take in each years hunt so as to keep the overall herd statewide healthy. I like moose tenderloin rubbed with garlic and olive oil, wrapped in bacon, and slow cooked. Mmmm!

sorry in the late response i have been revising for exams i have next week and only just read you response omg moose sounds lush!! if i ever get to do one of my dreams and tour usa seeing everyone i know i'll have to pop pass yours for a bit of moose!!!

hope every one having great thanksgiving i spent it with normski and her two youngest boys and i cooked a roast chcken as turkey are only in frozen department at mo over here but it was lovely dinner if i do say so myself and we had abit of a play on the wii before i came home to do some more revision and now off ot bed ready for college still very stuffed sooo happy thanks giving all my whl family and night xxx

magistramarla
11-26-2009, 09:20 PM
I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving.
We certainly did. We spent most of the day at the military community center. I took in two trays of dressing and six home-made pies. The school provided the turkeys and ham, and everyone brought pot-luck dishes. The men set up a bounce thing on the lawn for the kids, and a fun time was had by all. I really missed my own kids and grandsons. I wish that the two grandsons could have been there. They would have had a great time.
Enjoy the weekend, everyone,
Marla

BonusMom
11-26-2009, 09:59 PM
Glad that you had a good time, Marla. I meant to tell you that I read in Sacramento Magazine about a festival of sorts in Monterey on Saturday. I wish I could recall all the details, but it sounds like it's a pretty big event in the area. You've probably already heard about it, but I couldn't help but think of you as I read about it.

magistramarla
11-27-2009, 12:12 PM
BonusMom,
They are always having festivals of some sort in Monterey! I haven't heard about this one. We did our big thing for the weekend yesterday. Now I'm settled in for some serious rest and Jeff is tied to his laptop, trying to get a couple of projects accomplished. It's going to be a pretty low-key weekend for us. I'm also anxious to get the baby blanket finished, since I think that Meg is going to have that little guy a bit early.
Hugs,
Marla

pandagirl
11-27-2009, 12:28 PM
Marla..that is absolutely hilarious. My husband used to hunt pheasant/deer and turkey with my brother-in-law...one year he got a doe permit...he got one..it ended his hunting career,,,,we all said it looked like Lassie(smaller than Bambie)he was so trumatized he never went again!!!lolol

magistramarla
11-29-2009, 09:52 PM
Bumping this one up, since this is where many of us did our Thanksgiving greetings.

DrinkofWtr
12-01-2009, 10:25 AM
I ended up having two Thanksgiving dinners. One at a relatives of my boyfriends and the other at our favorite place on the beach. I was so glad not to have to cook this year and not any clean up either. The only thing was there was no pumpkin pie at either place. I went out and bought one later. I did have my full of cransberries though ( CRANSBERRY SAUCE (WITH BERRIES AND WITHOUT, and CRANBERRY/PEAR CRISP).