PDA

View Full Version : Hi,

capncrunch
11-20-2009, 09:37 PM
Im kind of new here, but i was diagnosed 2 years ago with a lupus sle.
Im pretty sure most of you guys/girls know that this disease is dealing with kidneys.
my kidneys are still functioning, though my creatine is at a high with a 1.91.
As of right now i am only on cellcept 500mg 2 times a day.

Okay, a couple questions that i have are...

Is it possible for me to build muscle? In my situation right now i have to eat a lot of protein because i leak a lot during urination.
I have heard that leaking too much protein can cause me to lose muscle.

And Also what kind of drinks can i drink besides water?

I'm a teenager, 20 years old.

BonusMom
11-20-2009, 10:26 PM
So sorry that lupus has attacked your kidneys, capncrunch. I'm relatively new to SLE, so I can't advise you, but just wanted to welome you to the Forum. I'm sure someone with knowledge about the kidneys and protein will come along soon.

pandagirl
11-21-2009, 01:32 PM
Welcome...you sound knowledgeable already. Your kidneys are sooo important,don't fool around..ask your MD about the 'safe' drinks.You have to beware of the caffeine in coffee/tea/sodas...sugars in juices... and the salt/electrolytes in "sports" drinks. Water is always the safe way to go...maybe ask about flavored seltzers(watch the sodium content) best of luck.

Saysusie
11-23-2009, 09:13 AM
When you ask about building muscles, are you talking about weight lifting or Aerobic exercises?
We are advised to participate in some form of regular exercise. However, we are cautioned against hard, jarring exercises and lifting excessive weights. This is something that you really need to discuss with your doctor and perhaps a fitness trainer who understands Lupus. There are many ways that you can tone your muscles without aggravating the disease, but building muscles can be tricky with this disease.
I wish you the very best!

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

mountaindreamer
11-23-2009, 06:44 PM
hi capncrunch, welcome to our group. I am so sorry to hear that you are dealing with the complications of lupus at such a young age. I hope you have really wonderful drs. on your team. There are so many members here who have an incredible amount of knowledge, so please feel free to ask questions whenever you need to. Someone is always around to help.

capncrunch
11-23-2009, 09:55 PM
thank you for all the warm welcoming.

ElyMiller000
12-02-2009, 02:55 PM
Well see, I was told that me eating more protein wasn't helpful due to the fact that I would just spill more of it...I don't see why you wouldn't be able to build muscle...you might be spilling some protein but not all.