PDA

View Full Version : PICC Line

jcg196
11-18-2009, 11:29 PM
Hi Everyone,

As anyone had a PICC Line, I have to get one soon and I am scared. I have blood clotting problems and I don't like the idea, but I know its important to my treatment since we have tried a lot of other things.

If you don't mind if anyone has had a PICC Line can u share ur experience?

Thanks so much.

Love u guys and take care,

neL

elizabeth
11-19-2009, 01:13 PM
I have never had a PICC line, but I have taken care of a lot of them. The major thing is to maintain the cleanliness to prevent infection. The nurses should teach you how to care for it.

Are you going to learn how to use it yourself?

jcg196
11-19-2009, 02:37 PM
Thanks Elizabeth for responding no I won't be using it myself. I get it on Monday....do u know if it hurts? Does it limit your arm movement?

elizabeth
11-19-2009, 02:56 PM
It may limit your arm movement a little, just because you want to protect it. I would choose my non-dominant arm for placement. Otherwise, you can move the arm freely.

Does it hurt? I have never had one put in, but it is similar to a regular IV placement. You just have to thread it up further into the arm. My patients really never complained about it hurting after it was inserted and most were happy to have it as it avoided multiple sticks.

Sorry you have to have it, but it can be a God send to protect your veins and not have to be stuck repeatedly.

Why do you need a PICC line, if you don't mind me asking?

jcg196
11-19-2009, 03:24 PM
Hi Elizabeth,

I have to get a PICC line because I have systematic lyme and I am already on 3 different antibotics. Plus my lupus is out of remission. Thanks so much for answering my questions :cute:

elizabeth
11-19-2009, 03:53 PM
Sounds like an awful lot to have at one time. I hope the meds help you get better.

Soft hugs, Elizabeth

jcg196
11-19-2009, 04:57 PM
Awww thanks Elizabeth Hugs back at u! :yes: