PDA

View Full Version : Sleep! Please

smokerscat94
11-14-2009, 05:58 AM
Here it is after 4 am again and I can't sleep. I am totally exhausted, but still can't sleep due to PAIN! I get one night where I get to bed early and get up early and then another sleepless night. which I usually end up falling asleep and sleeping all day. UGH! I hate this! Is anyone else struggling to keep a normal sleep pattern? :hissyfit: I have tried getting up and reading, tried staying up all day and all night to change my hours. I have tried sleeping through the day and night to change my hours. I have tried prescriptions, melatonin, no tv at be time. u name it I have tried it. nothing seems to work, or at least not for long. I am so sick and tired of sleeping my life away by sleeping in the day time. I am not a VAMPIRE for heavens sake. LOL but that is what I feel like. Avoid the sun, sleep during day, thankfully I do have a reflection in the mirror. LOL I just don't know what to do? I am at a total loss here! I know that this flare is a seriously contributing factor but what can I do? sorry to rant and rave again but I am just so frustrated. If anyone has dealt with this or is dealing with this, please i am sooooo open to suggestions! Thanks all

magistramarla
11-14-2009, 10:22 AM
Smokerscat,
I'm right there with you, my friend. It takes me a long time to get to sleep in the first place. Both of my knees and hips hurt, so I turn from side to side, trying to get comfortable. As soon as I get into bed, my feet, especially my toes, are FREEZING. I'm wondering if this is Reynaud's? By this time, DH is sound asleep and snoring loudly in my ear, so I have to poke him a couple of times before I can finally get some sleep.
THEN, between 2am and 3 am every night, I'm awakened by either my legs spasming or my bladder or both. I have to first stretch my legs, then carefully pick my way to the bathroom by holding onto furniture and walls. When I fall in the middle of the night, it isn't a pretty sight!
After avoiding letting the cats into the bedroom, I crawl back into the bed and have to start the whole routine over again. I'm usually awake at least another hour after that.
I used to sleep all night, no problem, even when I had a nursing baby next to me. I would give anything for a full 8 hours of restful sleep now. Like you, none of the usual things seem to help me. I've refused a prescription, like Ambien, because I already take so many meds, I don't really want to have to depend on yet another one just to sleep.
Good luck, and let me know if you find anything that works,
Marla

Bonita
11-14-2009, 06:57 PM
I do not know when it was last that i got a good nights sleep. Due to pain and muscle spasma and the meds. I cannot sleep on my hips for very long till i have to switch to the other and i cannot lay on my stomach because of the cage and plates and screws in my back so i get very little good sleep. So i will be thinking of you in the middle of the night. Bonita

magistramarla
11-14-2009, 10:09 PM
Well, friends
I just drank a nice cup of hot tea spiked with amaretto. I'll let you know how well I sleep tonight in the morning!
Marla

smokerscat94
11-15-2009, 01:38 AM
It's nice to know I am not alone with this! Sorry you guys have been dealing with it too! It SUCKS! Between the rib/chest pain, my knees, my hips, my shoulders, my feet, my hands ect........ I just can't get comfortable! Last night my feet were so HOT to the touch again I put ice on them to keep them half way comfortable. My hands and feet are so hot lately. I have taken then surface temperature between my hands and feet and they have been as hot as 107.5 degrees, but yet my body temp in my mouth is 97.9 go figure... My dr. thinks that the heat is caused by all the inflammation in my body right now. the horrible swelling in my hands and feet is tendonitis. GREAT!! just one more thing to deal with! I finally got to sleep at 7am and slept until 3pm then fell back to sleep about 8pm and now am wide awake AGAIN! UGHHHH! So sorry that you guys are dealing with this too! I really am VERY sympathetic! Take care and lets try and get some NORMAL sleep!

magistramarla
11-15-2009, 08:21 PM
Well, the things that I did last night worked.
I had a nice warm shower, then drank the tea and amaretto. My hubby gave me a back massage and gently stretched those painful discs and muscles, which led to other things ......... ))) LOL
With the combination of all of the above, I slept very soundly until the 2 am bladder call, and then went right back to sleep. Leg spasms woke me at 4 am, so I did a few stretches and then went right back to sleep again.
I've felt great today - shopped at the commissary and ran a lot of other errands, and cooked a nice Sunday dinner.
Unfortunately, tonight is my MTX shot, so I know that I won't feel at all well tomorrow, and I sure can't repeat the tea and amaretto.
Oh well, I just wanted to let you know that I managed to have a pretty decent night's sleep.
Hugs,
Marla

smokerscat94
11-15-2009, 08:46 PM
I'm so glad you got a good nights rest! I once again didn't get to sleep until 6am and didn't wake up until 3pm. I really hate this schedule! I just don't know what to do to change it! I remember the mtx day I felt like crap that day and the next, I know exactly how you feel!

So you get the bladder spams too. It feel like I have a uti but I don't. You know the urge is really strong even after I have just gone. My Dr. put me on ditropan for my bladder issue. I think it is helping a little bit. I still get the spasms but not nearly the urge I was getting. I have never had an accident, I just feel like I have a full bladder all the time. How are you dealing with it? Well sorry it's mtx day for you! Take care and hope you feel better the day after!

magistramarla
11-15-2009, 09:08 PM
Yeah, well, I HAVE had some accidents, and it's no fun, especially when I was still teaching! It's also no fun to trip over a cat in the middle of the night with a painfully full bladder. I'm also one of those people who knows where the restroom is in EVERY store in which I shop.
Unfortunately, I can't take the medicine for the bladder problems because I also have Meniere's Disease. That med would make it get much worse.
I have to deal with it by rushing to the restroom as soon as I feel a spasm. That can be difficult, too, since my knees and hips stiffen up and make it hard to hurry!
Sometimes I feel like a ridiculous old lady!
Hugs,
Marla

mountaindreamer
11-16-2009, 08:29 PM
hi smokerscat, i hope you can sleep tonight. Marla's recipe for warm showers, ameretta, and a back massage along with a little loving, all sound like a great remedy. Wishing you a night of relaxation with no spasms and no pain.

smokerscat94
11-16-2009, 10:02 PM
thanks phyllis! I hope I can sleep tonight too! This is getting very irritating!!!

magistramarla
11-17-2009, 10:48 AM
Well, it just worked that one night. The last two nights have been back to the usual.
Marla

elizabeth
11-17-2009, 05:45 PM
Sorry to hear you are not sleeping well. I tend to sleep in stages a lot of the time. Pain makes getting a good night's rest almost impossible. I do use a prescription med to sleep, otherwise I don't think I would get much rest at all.

I have learned to listen to my body and sleep when I can. I may get about 3 hours and then I'm awake for a couple, rinse and repeat. I never schedule things in the morning, if possible, because some of my best sleep happens between 8 AM and noon.

Does anyone work their pain into their dreams? When I am having a really painful night, I have nightmares to go along with it.

How I long for the years that I slept through the night and woke up energized and ready to tackle the world. Sometimes, it seems like it was an altogether different life.

I wish you all a soft and gentle rest tonight.

smokerscat94
11-17-2009, 08:27 PM
sorry your idea only worked one night for u marla! Once I can get to sleep I sleep pretty hard, but I need to be able to go to sleep by 10pm -11pm so I can get up in the morning instead of later afternoon to evening. I am tired of sleeping the day away!I stayed up all day and night yesterday and boy am I tired now. Getting a bite to eat, then shower, then beddy bye ! hopefully this works! Pray for me all!