PDA

View Full Version : endometreosis

Bonita
11-13-2009, 06:29 AM
Sorry if the spelling is wrong. Can anybody give me and answer to this i was told that this is and autoimmune or connective tissue diease and in 94 i had a complete hysterectomy and oopherectomy becaus eof this and maybe my lupus and myositis started then. Bonita

BonusMom
11-13-2009, 07:45 AM
Bonita-
I have no idea if endometriosis triggers SLE, but I had an endometrial ablation in 1993.

magistramarla
11-13-2009, 07:56 PM
Bonita,
I was just doing some research on endometriosis for my daughter and saw that it is classified as an inflammatory disease and is thus considered an AI issue.
My youngest daughter is 23. She had the surgery for it twice before she was married. She is now 8 months pregnant, and is concerned about the pain she has been having, and today she started having some bleeding. She went to the hospital, but since she isn't dilated, the doc on call dismissed it. I looked up endometriosis & pregnancy and found that the adhesions from the surgery are probably being stretched, causing her pain, and that bleeding and early labor is common with women with the disease.
On another thread, we were recently discussing that several of us have noticed that we seem to have passed a variety of AI issues on to our kids. I know that my kids have several. Now I can chalk up another one - Meg's endometriosis.
Marla

Bonita
11-14-2009, 07:03 PM
Thank you for this info and when i go to the rhuemy on the 23 i am going to ask about this. I never had trouble with any of my pregnanicies but had many dncs and heavy periods and cramps till i had my hysterectomy in 94 and the doctor said that the endo was so severe it was all over my organs. Bonita

kim,l
11-14-2009, 07:51 PM
bonita my daughter sarah had 2 ovarian cysts and was diagnosed with endiometriosis at 18 it was on a lot of her internal organs including her bladder they had to cut it open to get it out she is now on birth control as her gyno only wants her to have 2 menstral cycles a year as this slows it down but she has been told it would be better to have children before the age of 27. after hearing what marla researched about it being associated AI i now feel that it is also something i probably passed on to my daughter. my daughter also had blooodtest recently and she has abnormal ana results she now has been referred to rhuemi it seems AI is associated to alot of things i had multiple miscarriages and one stillbirth and 3 children all were born early the first at 36 weeks the second 35 weeks and the last at 31 weeks she now 14 but still has not got her first menstrual cycle i am now worried that she is heading the same way as her sister.

magistramarla
11-14-2009, 10:39 PM
Kim,
That is just what my two youngest girls have been through. Luckily, they've both gotten pregnant in their early 20's. My 30 year old daughter just can't seem to manage to have a second child, and the oldest girl has never found "Mr. Right" yet. She is a career girl with a PHD.
I'm now really after Meg to take care of herself and to try to get through as many weeks as possible. Pre-eclampsia is a danger for pregnant women who have had endometriosis. I used to work for a midwife, so I'm telling Meg every trick I learned from her. I'm having her to drink raspberry leaf tea every day, to increase her protein intake with protein shakes and to avoid salt like the plague. Tyler has been given the job of keeping her very calm and resting with her feet up as much as possible, balanced with gentle exercise.
I really want her to make it to 38 weeks, if possible. That's 4 weeks from now, so maybe we'll have a Christmas baby instead of a New Year's baby!
Worried Grandma,
Marla

kim,l
11-14-2009, 10:57 PM
marla i am sorry you are so worried about your daughter i hope everything goes alright and she gets to 38 weeks bed rest may be the only thing she can do my first to children i had high bloodpressure and needed to be induced my last child my water broke at 30 weeks and they gave me steriods to mature her lungs i was just lucky she was a big baby and weighed 5lb 13 i will be thinking of both of you , i will inform my daughter of the links so she can make rheumi aware i think they will have to do more tests as i want her to be safe and informed . hopefully you will have a wonderful addition by christmas 38 weeks some doctors consider to be full term and this would be a great result. we mothers constantly worry about our kids and grandchildren is something i am looking forward to in the future. please keep me informed on hows she is going. even though i am not religious person you will be in my heart. hugs kim l

mountaindreamer
11-15-2009, 01:18 PM
hi bonita, since my diagnosis, my original family dr. looked back on my medical records, and has decided that i had lupus in the 80's. I had a hysterectomy at age of 30 because of endometriosis. Now all of the pieces fit, but it seems a little late to me.........Marla, my congratulations to you and your christmas present, i know you are worried, but these little ones have a way of getting it right and being born just like they are supposed to.

magistramarla
11-15-2009, 09:19 PM
Kim,
I know that 38 weeks is considered full term. I had every one of mine at 38 weeks exactly - at home, no problems. Every time the midwife would come up with a due date, I would give her one two weeks earlier, and I was right every time!
Thanks for the good vibe - I appreciate it.

Phyllis,
I know that babies always seem to do what is right for them - I used to be a midwife's assistant. I'm just hoping that Meg hangs in there, and that she manages to avoid a C-section. Those OBs are just too cut-happy for my liking.
I'm an old earth-mother type. I had home births, assisted my midwife with 35 deliveries, and was a La Leche League Leader for 13 years. One son-in-law called me an aging hippie, and I told him that I resemble that remark!
Hugs
Grandma Marla

mountaindreamer
11-16-2009, 07:45 PM
hi grandma marla, I understand resembling the aging hippie remark....except, i am often accused of never "aging"out of the hippie mode. What a special person you are...so many lucky moms that you have helped. My daughter had an oola (sp) - i am sure i butchered that spelling - and she made my daughter so comfortable. I will always be grateful for her.

magistramarla
11-16-2009, 08:13 PM
Phyllis,
It's doula. That's sort of the job I did as the midwife's assistant. I would break out the equipment and sterile packs and give the hubby breaks by doing things like massaging the mother's back or coaching her with her breathing. I once saw one lady in transition haul off and actually break her hubby's nose because he couldn't do back massage as well as I could! It was quite a privilege to be one of the first people to touch a new life. I usually coached the dad in giving the baby a Leboyer bath, but I loved it when they chickened out and I got to do it!
Marla

mountaindreamer
11-16-2009, 08:23 PM
thanks for correcting my spelling, i knew i had butchered doula. I was amazed at how amber's doula was able to keep total calmness in the room. She worked with nurses, the doctor, the father, and yes, a nervous grandma to be.

abbasgirl
11-19-2009, 11:46 AM
Sorry if the spelling is wrong. Can anybody give me and answer to this i was told that this is and autoimmune or connective tissue diease and in 94 i had a complete hysterectomy and oopherectomy becaus eof this and maybe my lupus and myositis started then. Bonita

Bonita, I've been doing some digging about that question and have found some interesting links. One in particular goes over my head.

I can't make much sense of this link, can anyone else?
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15790342

Causes of Endometriosis - mentions autoimmune disorders
http://www.endo-resolved.com/cause.html

Autoimmune disease more likely with endometriosis...
http://www.uklupus.co.uk/news47.html

magistramarla
11-19-2009, 08:42 PM
Abbasgirl,
These are some great sites. The first one was a little technical, but I think that it was generally saying that while women with EM don't necessarily also have SLE, or visa versa, there is some correlation between EM and some forms of AI diseases.
I really liked the second site. It was very clear. I think that it is worth quoting for all to read:
* Auto-immune disorder - Of all the theories being postulated for the cause of Endometriosis, the idea that this disease is an autoimmune disease seems the very likely, credible and feasible. Autoimmune diseases are now widely believed to occur based on genetic predisposition that may be triggered by environmental and other external factors.

Many women with Endometriosis are susceptible to other Autoimmune diseases such as Rheumatoid Arthritis, Multiple Sclerosis and Meniere’s disease. In women who do not have Endometriosis, the stray particles of endometrium are not allowed to survive, they are destroyed by the immune system. In women with Endometriosis a dysfunctional immune system may permit the continuous growth of stray endometrial cells, which then develops into Endometriosis. Interestingly, dioxins have a damaging effect on the human immune system. http://www.endo-resolved.com/cause.html
This truly answers the questions that we've been discussing on this thread.
Thanks for finding this!
Hugs,
Marla

Bonita
11-22-2009, 07:32 AM
My two grandaughters were preemies. One weighed 1lb 6 ounces and was born at 26 weeks and is in her second year of college with straigh as and the other weighed 3 lbs 6 ounces and has a mild case of cerebal palsy and is in nursing school and no one could ever tell my daughter why they were born early so maybe some of this goes back to them having a connective tissue diease or some of my genes were passed on but it is worth looking into. Bonita All of this seems to be unrafaling into more and more of a mystery