PDA

View Full Version : Remember our Veterans Today

rob
11-11-2009, 08:46 AM
Hi Everyone,

Today is Veterans day in the U.S., and it is Remembrance Day for our neighbors in Canada. I hope everyone can take a little time out today and remember those men and women who serve our countries every day in places like Iraq, Afghanistan, South Korea, and so many other places around the world.

The soldier faithfully manning his watch in a cold, dark, lonely place. The sailor on a pitching carrier deck making sure the planes are launched on time. The Marine on his way to a landing on hostile shores. The Airman manning the boom, keeping our Air Force fueled up and flying. And to all who went before them, who payed the ultimate price and gave all, I would give this quote-

"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man in the arena whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly...who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat."-Theodore Roosevelt

Rob

BonusMom
11-11-2009, 09:24 AM
Here! Here!

What a nice and articulate message, Rob. Veteran's Day is so much more than just a day off work or school. The sacrifices made by the men and women of our military are many, yet so easily forgotten.

Thank you Rob, my eldest son, Jeff (Marla's DH) and all others that have served our country. Your service is most appreciated!

mountaindreamer
11-11-2009, 11:52 AM
i second that, rob. To all veterans and their families i send my sincere gratitude to you.

KATROACH1972
11-11-2009, 01:36 PM
Thank u Veterans for your service!:laugh:Everyone of you have a special place in our hearts! God bless! I live 20 miles from Ft. Hood,and I am so heartbroken over the senseless violence that took place! Hugs to all of You! Kathy

Angel Oliver
11-11-2009, 01:48 PM
Ah yes i agree...thank you veterans .We had our minute silence today at 11am in UK.So brave.xxxxx

magistramarla
11-11-2009, 01:49 PM
Rob and everyone else,
As a military wife and mother - thanks for the sentiments. It's always heartening when people appreciate what military families do. Besides my hubby, the AF officer, my son Tom is an Iraq war veteran (Marine) and my son-in-law, Tyler is currently serving in the AF (Airman 1st class).
With a son-in-law currently serving, the incident at Ft. Hood was especially un-nerving. It is shocking and sad that such a thing could happen on one of our own bases.
I feel deeply for all of the spouses, children and parents of those soldiers.
Have a good Veteran's Day, and take the time to remember one that you might know.
Love,
Marla

SandyR
11-11-2009, 03:56 PM
Thank you Rob for starting this thread. What you have done and what those who still serve do is beyond words. As the child of an active veteran and the relative or friend of countless more, I am intimately aware of the dangers and concerns or vets face in their everyday and (knowing that I would never be brave to do this job myself) I really appreciate those who do have the courage and faith and strength to serve. Thank you to all the veterans past and present for protecting our freedoms, values and homelands! I appreciate and honor you more than words can tell.

debbie-b
11-11-2009, 03:59 PM
Thank you Rob, for putting it into words. Everything the soldiers do for us every day, we can never thank them enough. I for one am very grateful.
Thank you.

Debbie

tiggerlishus - Heidi
11-11-2009, 04:55 PM
yes here here i am looking after my nephew this week as my sister is ill and as we walked to school this morning i explained today was a very important day where we remember the past and present forces that have fought and still fight in the wars that have gone in this world to keep us safe so at school at 11 am on thw 11th day of the 11 motnhs they will asking him to be quiet for one minute and do nothing but think about those soldiers and all those who have ehlped in war and it was very important he did this thou i know at 7 and 3 quaters as he points out his age is it is very hard he was to try his best!!!
so fast forward to 3:10 when i picked him up and ran out and said i did it i did it!!
and i was like you did what! he said i sat there for one wholeeeee min and remembered the soldiers!! we then proceed on way home to talk about all the people that help in war that there are lots of services and how even his granpa helped out when he was alive even thou he wasn't a soldier by making sure the soldiers computers and telelphones were working and how a old friend of mine who is a pilots and boss at airplane comapny helped take the soldiers come back and forward and we just had real wonderful chat about how much we have to be thankful for!
so i just tohught i would share this with as it touch my day as how much he listen and understood! much love ot every one that helps from the family that give up there precious time with thier loved ones to those who go right up to front line its very much noted and appriatated so i can spend time like that with my family xxxxxx

pandagirl
11-11-2009, 06:17 PM
Thanks Rob....I am wearing my dads WWII dog tag right now.

rob
11-11-2009, 08:49 PM
I saw a story on the news today about a young man who was an infantryman deployed in Iraq. He is recovering from wounds sustained when the Humvee he was in was destroyed by an IED. Everyone in the vehicle survived, but the young man had been badly wounded, losing his left foot. He is at a hospital here stateside recovering from his injuries and preparing to go through therapy to learn how to walk with a prosthetic foot. When asked what his plans for the future are, he said as soon as he gets the new foot and learns how to walk again, he is going back to his unit and is going to request to be re-deployed back to Iraq.

Nobody could ever fault this young man if he had decided that the war was over for him. He has paid a painfully terrible price, but he's going back anyway. What does one say when you see such courage and dedication, there are no words.

BonusMom
11-11-2009, 09:13 PM
Now, that's a hero! Thank you for sharing his inspiring story, Rob.

DrinkofWtr
11-13-2009, 09:09 AM
Rob,

You said it all. What a eloquent message! We must never forget those who sacrified all for this country. Thanks to all the veterans out there.