PDA

View Full Version : Pets?

Katalanta
08-22-2005, 06:20 AM
Does anybody else have pets? I've got two dogs and (god help me) seven cats.

While we're at it - does anybody want a cat? :P

Awi
08-22-2005, 08:49 AM
Wow, Kat! I've exploded in cats before, too.

I once had 15 cats all at once, back in Connecticut--three adult females (two of which were from an earlier litter by the Alpha Female), and they all three gave birth on the same night, in the middle of Hurricane Belle in 1976!! No electricity, so I Midwifed by candle-light (not that much help was needed, just rushing around in the dark trying to find towels, water bowls, and trying to keep one of the younger mom's from chasing me around with babies trying to get born at the same time!) What a night that was! We also had a Lab puppy who was fascinated and couldn't be kept away. The worst was that I had to leave with my fiance, as we had to get to a house that was safe--we were on the water, and had to go before it was too late to the only house in the neighborhood that we knew would stand, as it had in '34. The winds reached 100 mph and the water had risen so high the waves were breaking onto the front porch (18 feet above sea level). I just had to hope that I'd get home and find that our house was still standing and that all the animals were okay. They were. Years later, out here in California, I ran into someone on a bus, wearing an "I survived Hurricane Belle (New Haven, CT)" t-shirt, something I'd never even known existed. She said she'd bought in New Haven, right after the storm.

Now I just have one cat, Jonas, who used to weigh 24 lbs! before being forced onto a medicinal diet. Now he's still big, but not fat. He was round, like a giant black & white bowling ball. When he was a tiny baby, he'd stick his whole head in my mouth. He still starts licking my teeth when I'm smiling at him (I can hear non-cat lovers going "OOOOOh!!!) He likes to clean my face for me. What weird things to do your cats do?

SoleSinger
08-22-2005, 08:59 AM
You have SEVEN cats? What are you, NUTS??? lol!!! I don't have any pets... I have a hard enough time getting motivated to clean up after myself bad enough pets, too! LOL!!

SEVEN cats... How did that happen? Do you take in strays or did your cat just have kittens or WHAT? Wow...

Awi
08-22-2005, 09:08 AM
Hey you,

No pets?? Don't you get lonely without someone to cuddle? Someone furry, that is.

I can't imagine not having animals in my house. Like Kat, I've tended to acquire cats, sort of like kids acquire stuffed animals, but now I've gotten it under control and have just Jonas. But when my daughter was growing up it seemed there were always lost children who needed us, and the two of us were unable to send them away when they showed up. Or were found in the gutter, or left by the side of the road.

Big hearts, or big suckers...we've been called both!

SoleSinger
08-22-2005, 10:38 AM
Well... Okay... This is a little deeper than I was planning to go... But, yeah, it gets lonely... But, I don't think an animal will help that... That just sounded bad... Don't get me wrong, I LOVE animals... But, when I did have pets I wasn't any less lonely than I am now, without them... In fact, for me, it kinda makes it worse.. Because you talk to your animals right? Well, they can't answer back... So, you're still talking to yourself... At least from my perspective...

And really, with all the stuff that's all of a sudden going on, what I need is someone to just wrap their arms around me while I'm freaking out or whatever...

Sorry to be a downer...

hippimom2
08-22-2005, 12:19 PM
I have a black lab mix that I adopted. We officially have one cat, but another adopted us and we inadvertantly end up feeding about half the town cats (we live in a small town - population 120). I think there are more cats in town than people. I love my animals.

Awi
08-22-2005, 02:05 PM
I wasn't intending to go "deep," just wondering if a pet-less home felt lonely.

I'd like some arms around me, too, but a furry body that purrs and loves to sit on my lap makes me feel good.

Not as good as a sweetheart, though, no doubt about that!

SoleSinger
08-22-2005, 07:47 PM
Neh, it's not too bad... I've got my music to keep me warm at night! ;) That, and I talk to my best friend everynight, and he's awesome... So, no the house doesn't feel empty or anything... :) And, like a little kid, I have about a MILLION stuffed animals... LOL So, if I REALLY need something to cuddle, I have a LARGE array!!!

How do you all manage to FEED all those CATS??? Doesn't it get expensive after a while?

mommymc
08-22-2005, 09:43 PM
We have one cat, Daisy, a spayed 1 year old tuxedo. She is a lovely creature. I never wanted a pet, enough with raising 2 kids alone. We went to Petsmart for something to do one Saturday, and ended up being adopted by her. I swear, cats know who to pick as 'their people'. We adopted her 3 days before my daughter got very ill, 3 weeks before she was diagnosed with SLE. I believe that there was a intervention, as we never anticipated getting a pet. Thank God we did, though. Daisy has adopted my daughter as her own. That crazy cat through all of the 'night olympics' has brought smiles to my daughter's face throughout these difficult times. We could deal without Lupus, but not without our cat. :angel:

Saysusie
08-23-2005, 07:06 AM
Mommymc;
For some reason, your message posted nine times, so I deleted 8 of them. I made sure that they were all the same before I deleted them :lol:

Saysusie

Ouisch
08-23-2005, 09:14 PM
For many years, our two pets were Trailways, a retired racing greyhound, and Savannah, a calico cat. We adopted Trai in January 1994, and he was what they called a "spook" - he was nervous, afraid of everything, to the point where he was considered "unadoptable" and headed for the kill truck. So of course I chose him when we were at the foster home. :D

Our beloved cat, Toonces, had passed away in June of 1994, and in August of that year I saw a beautiful adult female calico at our vet's office that was available for adoption. The receptionist said she was afraid no one would take her, because she was already full grown, so I took her home. Interestingly enough, even though *I* was the one who rescued her, she immediately attached herself to my husband. For the 12 years we had her, she was *his* baby - and insanely jealous, I might add - anytime I went to kiss him, she immediately insinuated herself in between us.

Trai, on the other hand, was 12 lbs underweight when we brought him home, his ears torn and bleeding, and loaded with worms. He didn't know what petting was - he would stand stock still as we stroked him, looking down at the ground. It took many years of slow, cautious loving attention before he started acting like a "normal" dog, but it was well worth the wait. In the last few years of his life, he would come over to me as I typed on the computer and slip his bullet-shaped head under my left hand for petting. As much as Savannah was my husband's cat, Trai became *my* baby. Every day when I came home from work, Trai ran excited laps around the living room coffee table. He wouldn't eat his supper until I came home. He was afraid of thunderstorms, and the only thing that soothed him was for me to sit on the edge of the sofa, with him scrunched on it behind me, and I'd sing to him (poor tonedeaf doggie).

We'd heard/read that larger breed dogs don't live as long as smaller ones, and greyhounds in particular have shorter lifespans due to the hard life they experience at the track. When Trai turned 12 years old, he started slowing down - we could see he had difficulty getting up from his "bankie", and had trouble managing the back stairs down to the yard. The vet diagnosed arthritis of the spine and prescribed medicine, but we could tell it was just a matter of time. When he became unsteady on his feet, I would stand by his side and let him relieve himself on the back deck. As long as he was eating and drinking regularly, and not whimpering in pain, I figured he was OK. But soon it got to the point where he couldn't get up without crying in pain, and we had to make the decision that no pet owner wants to make. :(

Today we have one cat, another "misfit" we adopted as a kitten named "Tweak" (after the nervous character on "South Park").

Mitch
08-24-2005, 12:17 PM
I have a 1-1/2 year old Standard Schnauzer (high energy!) It feels like I have a 2 year old! My kids weren't as much work as this guy is! He's a great dog and I love him to death, but he wears me out. Just when life was getting a little easier (with my kids) I go ahead and get a dog who wants to play 24/7! I better stay healthy, for HIS sake!

erinnlee
09-20-2005, 11:59 AM
We have three dogs :)

Eliza, A mixed breed husky/border collie, age 4 http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a122/erinnlee/eliza2005_sm.jpg

Dante, a boston terror (terrier) age 1 http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a122/erinnlee/dante_sm.jpg

and Annabelle (recently adopted), a french bulldog, age 1 http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a122/erinnlee/anna1.jpg

On my worst days:

I am grateful to Eliza for listening to my complaints, tolerating my aches and pains, and for patiently lying next to me and allowing me to hug her fuzzy body when I cry or need a little doggy comfort.

I applaud Dante for reminding me to get out of the bed in the morning so that he can empty his (very) little bladder, and for making me laugh even when I don't feel like it.

And although Anna has just joined us, her sweet and personable nature, and ability to tolerate whatever comes her way is reassuring.

And of course, I am overwhelmed with love for my husband, who not only is supportive of me, but tolerates my little doggy-obsessions (and also takes care of all of us)[/b]

Katalanta
09-25-2005, 10:43 PM
Hi All!

God, how we love our fuzzy people!

I've been out of the loop for a bit and tonight I FINALLY have the time, energy and internet access to sit down and actually read more than one post! YAY!

As for how I got 7 cats - I was suckered, actually. I got my first cat at 13 and she was absolutely perfect in every way - a beautiful, long-haired calico who loved no one but me. I thought all cats were like her. OOPS! Don't get me wrong, they're all wonderful - but they're all...unique.

Eva - My oldest was born in the old house to a pregnant stray who ran away after she had her litter. (Eva also had a brother -Ranulph -who lived for 8 years)
Gracie - I found in a dumpster when she was 1 week old (and her 2 brothers - 1 of whom gave to another home, the other died recently).
Mimi - was supposed to be here short-term. Learned that lesson. 5 years is not short-term in my book. I no longer take in pets for friends who "just need to find a place". Usually, the friend disappears and leaves me holding the cat.
Pasha, Popsy, and Tiamet - I'm not allowed to go to pet shelters for just this reason. When I walked in, they had 3 kittens scheduled to be euthanized - when I walked out, they didn't.
The Baby Keyser Soze - Mimi wasn't spayed when my friend dumped her on me - since I didn't realize I was keeping her forever, I figured it could wait. She got out. Had a litter of 5 kittens, 4 of whom were given to loving happy homes. Baby has a heart condition, so poor thing had to stay at home with his (very spayed now) momma.

That's the end, though. I've had people literally beg me to take in more cats and that is seriously NOT HAPPENING. I love the little boogers, but my limit has been reached. (In fairness, my all-time total was 21 - 19 at once - but that was a much-different me at a much-different time. This me at this time thinks 7 is far more than I should really have. Three, three is the perfect number...) The only trouble with getting down to 3, is that I love 7. So 7 it is.

The dogs!

Bodhi - a beautiful Boston Terror (yep, I use that one too! Looks exactly like your Dante!!!) Got him from a rescue organization after a story too sad to tell (mine, not his). They thought he was about 1 year old - turns out he must have been around 6 months - cause he GREW! He's a BIG boy now! Light of my life.

Finnigan - a daschund mix. A funny, funny little dog. His smile is bigger than he is. Got him from the same rescue organization after another too-sad story (mine, not his) when I realized Bodhi was gonna need someone more energetic than me to play with.