PDA

View Full Version : methylprednisolone

karenboss
11-05-2009, 12:39 PM
My dr gave me a short round of methylprednisone in July - I think it was a tapering 8 day thing -

I would love to call him and ask for another round for my current flare -
do any of you know how often it is safe to do these? I know he would call it in for me, but maybe I should tough it out.

Am going to see a GI dr next week so might aught to wait anyway.

your thoughts?

mountaindreamer
11-08-2009, 03:15 PM
hi karenboss......sorry that you are in a flare. I am not familiar with methylprednisone. My dr. has given me shots of medrol, and said i could have 3 (i think) a year. I do not know if this applies to your steroid, but i think it is worth a call to the dr. He/she will know if you can continue to take it. If he can't use the same med, maybe he can prescribe something else. I hope you get some relief.

cptnblah
12-15-2009, 08:27 AM
I have been on this one for a while now. I alternate 8mg and 20 mg each day. This has also allowed me to lose like 25lbs. I also do not have the extreme mood swings and sleeplessness and such. It is a cousin of prednesone but not as many of the noticed effects.

Serenity81
01-25-2010, 05:56 PM
Not sure how I didn't see your post before.. and I hope your flare has calmed down by now.. but I thought I'd chime in anyhow. My PCP has given me the methylprednisolone quite frequently... actually for awhile there, before I was Dx'd, I was on a dose-pack at least once a month! He prefers it becuase, like cptnblah said, it's not as harsh as prednisone.

I personally love this med... I feel like gold by day 2 or 3! By the last few days of the pack, I'm back to feeling crappy... not so sure that I'm very happy in the fact that I respond so well to a steroid........ as I don't want to be on them long-term... but, when you're desperate for some relief.. you know.