PDA

View Full Version : ER fiasco...

adl011
11-04-2009, 10:11 PM
So, I'm still having trouble getting in to get an mri. My dr is trying to get me into the charity hospital in Shreveport, but it's taking a while. So, my back started getting worse. I'm having issues with my bladder now, I can't really tell when I have to go to the bathroom, so I just have to make myself go. I was getting worried about this, so I called my dr. He told me to go straight to the ER, so I did. I went to the one here in town because it's an hour to the charity hospital. My dr was very worried and said it could be cauda equina syndrome, which is a surgical emergency. SO...there I was in the ER, not fun, but they did get me in pretty quickly. I know a lot of the nurses there because I had nursing classes with them when I was in nursing school before I changed my major. Well the dr came in and told me that their mri machine was broken, so he did an x-ray, and he said he could definitely see degeneration in my spine from my arthritis, and a possible herniation. I already told him I had a herniated disc, but he had to see himself I guess. Then he said unless I could pay 20% down on a surgery I'd have to just go to the charity ER and go through all of this again to get the surgery I need...not even the worst part of the experience. I got demerol so I wasn't really in any pain, and I was getting ready to go home waiting for nurse to bring 'scripts and discharge papers. This is where it gets interesting, and you will all probably get pissed.

So a lady comes in, and it struck me as odd because she wasn't wearing scrubs. She said "Mrs. Hollins?" and I said yes ma'am did you bring my discharge papers. She said "No, I'm from the business department, and I need to know how you're going to pay your $150 deposit." I said there's no deposit for the emergency room, you have to see me even if I can't pay, and I don't have a debit or credit card, and my husband is not here. She said "well, our records show that you owe $17,000 and you have to pay at least $150 before you can leave." I said "first of all, you need to do your homework before you come in here griping at me. I know I owe that much money, but I pay you guys $200 a month to pay off my bill, and second, you can't make me pay anything today, I know my rights." She said "So, you're not gonna pay anything today?" I said no, then she said "Well, I'm going to tell your dr. You can't just come in here and expect free treatment and pain prescriptions. I'm going to tell him you aren't paying us." I said okay, go tell him. I know you can't keep me here or make me pay...

So, needless to say, I was PISSED by this point. :grumpy: I was so angry I was crying. Well, one of my friend's who works there came in to do my discharge papers and give me my 'script, and he saw that I was crying. He asked me what was wrong, and I told him what had happened. WELL, come to find out, it really does pay when you make friends, because my friend Matthieu was her boss. When I told him what happened, he was really angry. He said he's already had to repremand her once about harrassing patients for money in the ER, which they CAN'T do, so he told me not to worry, it wouldn't happen again. He suspended her for two weeks without pay. I felt like justice was definitely served. I was still very angry though. She tried to make me feel like crap just because I =have outstanding medical bills. and tried to make it out like I'm a drug-seeker. I actually even asked him for a non-narcotic pain relief. She really just did NOT know what she was talking about. So, moral of the story...don't upset people who are friends with your boss. :)

I hope everyone is well, and just fyi, I'll probably be going to the charity ER this weekend, so hopefully I'll get my back fixed soon! Please pray for me.

~Amanda

debbie-b
11-05-2009, 02:49 PM
Hi Amanda,

I am just as angry as you are. Who does she think she is? Was she planning on tying you to the bed, until you pay? WTH. I am glad, that he took care of her.
I hope you will get the help you need, and soon.

Debbie

SandyR
11-05-2009, 04:49 PM
Oh I am burning reading this! Who does she think she is?!?!? Obviously she has had the luck to never be so sick that you can barely afford to live. We should all be so lucky! Good for you that you said something to your friend and that he turned out to be her boss. Karma is really a you-know-what sometimes!!!! :)

adl011
11-05-2009, 07:45 PM
Very true, guys. I felt very vindicated when I found out that he was her boss. I'm tired of always getting treated like crap when going to a doctor just because I don't have health insurance. I am glad that at least she will be treating people nicer for a little while when she comes back. :)

magistramarla
11-05-2009, 09:26 PM
Hi Amanda,
Good for you - getting the upper hand on the dragon-lady. I sure hope that you manage to get medical care soon.
I still haven't gotten my MRI yet either, since I'm waiting until we change to a better insurance company that will cover it starting in January.
I was interested in your bladder symptom. I've had the same thing happening lately. I can be sitting on the couch for quite a while and not feel the urge to go. Then, the second that I stand up, I realize that it is an emergency - GOTTA GO!
I've always had urinary tract problems, so I didn't connect this with my possible disc problems. Did anyone explain this connection to you?
Hugs,
Marla

adl011
11-06-2009, 11:38 AM
Marla,

My doctor said the bladder (and sometimes bowel) problems is caused by extreme pressure on the sciatic nerve. He said that if you don't get it treated pretty quickly after the onset, it can be permanent, but that it usually takes a while for that to happen. He did say it's considered an emergency, but since I only have 2 weeks left in school, he said as long as the bladder symptoms didn't get worse, then I can wait until Thanksgiving break. I know exactly how you feel, I'm sorry you're having to suffer through all of this with me.

~Amanda

Bonita
11-06-2009, 02:00 PM
I believe in what goes around comes around and that lady will get her doo. Bonita

mountaindreamer
11-08-2009, 01:39 PM
Hi Amanda........like others, my blood began to boil as i read your story. How dare this monster try to belittle you right there in the ER. Then, i began to cheer for your friend, her boss.....karma is a wonderful thing. Did you go to the charity er this weekend? I hope they treat you with the respect that you deserve. Hang in there, lady......you still got some fight in you.

DrinkofWtr
11-08-2009, 07:23 PM
Dear AD1011:

To bad the billing harasser didn't get fired!

adl011
11-08-2009, 09:50 PM
I didn't go to the ER this weekend. I decided since I made it this long, I can wait two weeks until school is out. I am so close to finishing this quarter, and despite all the pain and dr visits, I have all A's my first quarter in Graduate School. I really don't want to have to take incompletes if I have to have surgery, so I'm going to push through and go as soon as school is over.

mountaindreamer
11-09-2009, 11:31 AM
congratulations on all "A"s in graduate school. what are you studying?

adl011
11-09-2009, 03:26 PM
I'm getting my Master's in Counseling and Guidance. After I get it, I want to get my Doctoral Degree in Psychology or Psychological Research and ultimately do research on how to help counselors to better help their clients. Kinda ambitious, but it'll definitely be worth it all in the end.

mountaindreamer
11-09-2009, 04:42 PM
that is really cool. My daughter is getting her master's in education and she will specialized in helping teachers to teach.

pandagirl
11-09-2009, 06:53 PM
adl011..I had lower back problems and it too effected my bladder..the surgery was a success.I had a microdiscectomy @ L 4/5..no more nerve pain in the leg or crazy bladder spasms...well a little bit.. from the Lupus, but nothing like it was before. Hang in there~

adl011
11-09-2009, 10:07 PM
pandagirl,

That is very comforting to know that there is hope! Thank you!

~Amanda