PDA

View Full Version : Sick of being sick

Tamy
11-01-2009, 10:04 PM
Hi everyone
Sorry I haven't been around much lately, but i've been unwell. I've got a quick question for anyone who is able to answere it. I'm going to get straight to the point, because i'm in a lot of pain, and really need to go lie down.
As some of you know I had pneumonia a few weeks back. When I had pneumonia, I was experiencing a huge pain in my back, that would run through to my chest. This pain was constant, and would feel sharper upon taking a deep breath. The doctors at hospital told me that it was pneumonia related, and sure enough after 3 days the pain had completely disappeared. Now 3 days ago, i began getting a really bad sore throat, and not long after the unbearable pain in my back came back again. The pain hits between the shoulders, but a little lower. It goes through all the way to my chest, it hurts when i cough, and although the pain is constantly there, it does get much worse when I need to take a deep breath in. So yesterday morning, i went to the local doctors, they have started me on another course of strong antibiotics, but she couldn't quite tell me what the pain was. She told me to take pain killers, and if it wasn't gone in a few days, to head down to the E.R.
My lungs are clear, so the pneumonia seems to have gone, so i'm thinking that the pain I had while in hospital, wasn't pneumonia related after all. Have any of you had any experience with this, or does it sound familiar to anybody?
When lupus attacks the lungs, does the lupus need to be active, and do you need to be in a flare. Because the bloods they did showed that my lupus was not active, and I am in not any joint pain, nor do I have any lupus symptoms lately. Could this just be happening due to a viral infection, could it just be a bit of inflammation? I thought it may have been pleurisy, but that pain is not constant. Pleurisy hurts when breathing in, or moving your upper body. This pain is constantly there. I'm really worried, and in a lot of pain, any responses would be of great appreciation right now. 1 more thing. I read that pleurisy could be an early sign to lung involvement...is this true? Is there anybody who suffers from pleurisy, who has not had any main problems with their lungs? This scares me to death. I couldn't imagine being in all this pain for the rest of my life. I've been sick this whole month, my body really needs a break. This past month feels like a whole year. I just want to feel better again.
Thanks in advance guys.
Tammy.

Bonita
11-02-2009, 06:28 AM
I have never had pluresy but would that have showed up on your chest xray? Maybe the pain in your back is from a pinched nerve or disc problems or even vertebrea. I hope you get some relief and i am sorry about all your pain the only thing i can do is put you on my prayer list. Love Bonita

BonusMom
11-02-2009, 07:11 AM
What you've got surely sounds painful, Tammy! Sorry (not really sorry that I haven't had the same issue, but I AM sorry that you do!), but I have never had anything as you describe. My mom has had pleurisy a couple of times and she says it's very painful. I understand that it would show up on xrays.

Might you have pulled a muscle with all of the coughing? My mom's a little thing and she always seems to injure her back from the cough of bronchitis and/or pneumonia.

I wish I could be of more help. Please take care of yourself and keep us posted on how you're doing.

Tamy
11-02-2009, 02:43 PM
Thanks Bonita and Bonusmom
This morning I woke up, still feeling like crap. The pain has gone now, but upon taking a deep breath i do get a little pain around my chest area. Well, a few weeks back when in hospital, they actually gave me 2 X rays. The first one showed pneumonia in my right upper lung, and the second X ray they took was 4 days later, and the docs said it's all cleared up. I had this same pain in hospital, but no pleurisy was evident. The only thing I can come up with is that the pneumonia might slowly be coming back. I'm on antibiotics, so hopefully it clears it all out.
Thanks guys, you were of help. Hopefully i'm feeling better soon, so that I can return to WHL and chat to you all.
Tammy.

mountaindreamer
11-02-2009, 04:29 PM
hi tammy, I have had a couple of bouts with Pleurisy, but they were several years ago, so my memory is fague. I do remember a tremendous amount of pain, but i don't remember if it was constant. However, it does sound like maybe you have some swelling and possible pressure is being put on one of the many nerves that run up your back. I do get a pain that runs between my lower shoulder blades, but it is either lupus or fibromyalgia related. I don't feel it all the way through to my chest. Sorry i can't remember, have you been tested for fibromyalgia? Whatever is going on, i think it is a good idea for you to get with your dr.....you need the peace of mind. Are you taking pain meds? I try really hard to hold off on those, but when the pain continues to beat on me for a couple of days, i give in and let the pain meds help me sleep for awhile. I hope you can find something to help you.....you are right, you need a break.

Tamy
11-03-2009, 09:02 PM
Hi Phyllis
Thanks for your response.
I'm due to see my rheumy this coming Monday, so it's going to be a very long appointment, with a whole heap of questions. Fibromyagia has never been mentioned to me, so i'll be bringing that up on Monday. As for today, the pain is gone, stubborn cough is still there, and finding it a little difficult to breathe. I went to the emergency room yesterday, they gave me aspirin, and codeine for the pleurisy. Gave me an ECG, which was normal, and another chest x-ray, which was clear of any pnemonia...so i'm really confused as to whats causing all these respiratory problems, and i'm hoping my rheumy will have some answers for me on Monday, and hopefully something to make me feel a little more comfortable.
I'll let you know how it all goes.
Tammy.
Oh, 1 more thing. Each time I get sick, the doc's. have been taking me off the plaquenil. Is this a safe thing to be playing around with. October I was taken off it twice, and put back on again, now the doc's yesterday told me to stop taking it once more, until I begin to feel a little better. I wont be taking it again now until I speak to the rheumy about it on Monday.
Thanx.

Bonita
11-04-2009, 07:07 AM
Every time they play around with the meds we are on you worry but if you have faith in your doctor then you have to trust them. Hope that things work out for you. Love and prayers Bonita