PDA

View Full Version : Dad Fell

DrinkofWtr
11-01-2009, 09:25 AM
A few days ago my dad fell at a gas station. I took him to the emergency room of the hospital here in Camarillo. I can't believe they didn't give him any prescription pain killer or antiinflammatories. What really upset me though was I was not allowed to go into the emergency room with him? I could have been his advocate for what he needed as he was shaken up and not thinking clearly.

The hospital is scared to death of H1N1. I tried to tell them that I don't have H1N1 but they would not listen, or any flu or cold at this time. I have half a mind to go to the hospital adminstrator and let them have it! I am still fuming and this happened over a week ago.

What do you guys think? I know you weren't there but if this had happened to you what would you have done? I am curious to know.

justomegirlindallas
11-01-2009, 10:54 AM
Yes - ER's are supposed to allow at least 1 visitor with a family member. Especially if you are his advocate you should have been allowed to go in with him unless A. he was critical or B. he was admitted into a unit where H1N1 or some other contagious disease was suspected in which case your lack of admission was most likely out of your own good.Your father would have to in these cases speak up and demand you to come with him.

I would file a formal complaint.

mountaindreamer
11-01-2009, 04:36 PM
hi drink, yes, i think you should file a complaint. your father is elderly, he was confused and frightened, you should have been there. I agree that you should tell an administrator so that they could correct the instructions. I am sure that the staff was following procedure, but there was a flaw in their rules. Let us know what happens. Is your dad doing ok this evening?

SandyR
11-01-2009, 07:38 PM
Hi Drink,
I am sorry to hear about your dad. I would file a complaint too. Also, have you and your father considered assigning you as his Power of Attorney for just such a circumstance?
Sandy

SirLupAllot
11-01-2009, 10:01 PM
Sorry to hear about your Dad's fall ... I hope he is doing better.

Are you saying they would not let you in the ER to be with him because of your Lupus and they thought you could easily contract / spread H1N1?

Either way they should have let you in ... but I wasn't clear from reading your post if they were using this as the excuse (which would make me more mad) or if they were not allowing any visitors at all.

I would file a compliant regardless. My guess is however that it won't go anywhere .. but they should know how you feel.