PDA

View Full Version : Family Tree

SandyR
10-27-2009, 05:22 PM
Has anyone on here ever looked into their family tree? I want to learn more about my maternal grandmother's family and am looking for some tips.

Thanks!
Sandy

mountaindreamer
10-27-2009, 06:25 PM
hi sandy, my mom does geneology research, and i will be happy to get some advice from her on a good starting point. Also, i have a very good friend who does her family tree research on the internet. She has found a site that she reall likes. I have left a call-back for her, and i will pass on the info to you as soon as she calls me back.

SandyR
10-27-2009, 06:47 PM
Phyllis you are wonderful! :yes: Thank you so much. :cute:

iseedeadmonkeys
10-27-2009, 06:52 PM
Good luck with searching for your family tree sandy,

I was curios a few years ago and found out some right old intresting stuff everything from-

our family name was joined in 1700's

and my dad is a count lol

happy searching

ISDM

SandyR
10-27-2009, 08:42 PM
A count!?! Does that make you a countess??? And the boys counts??? Cool!!! How are you? How's the fam?

iseedeadmonkeys
10-28-2009, 07:55 AM
It makes my mum a countess i dont kno what it would make me...unique? lol

Yeah im great thanx mate..fam are great too

how be you?

ISDM
x

mountaindreamer
10-28-2009, 08:59 AM
hi sandy, i am still waiting on my friend to call back. I have not forgotten about you.

SandyR
10-29-2009, 07:57 PM
Thanks Phyllis. I haven't really been home much this week so no rush.

ISDM - I am glad to hear that all is well.

magistramarla
10-30-2009, 10:58 AM
Sandy,
My kids had a history teacher in high school who required that the kids do a genealogy project. Three of the five had that class, so each one had to add to the project. Jeff really got into helping them with it.
They started at the main library. Most big libraries have a genealogy research room. If you know the state and county in which your family lived, you can find the census reports for each year on microfiche. This can give you some good clues.
County courthouses also keep old records of birth certificates, marriages, death certificates, etc. Note: anything newer than 50 years old hasn't been released yet - privacy act.
Jeff also bought a cool piece of software called Family Tree Maker that really helped them to organize that project.
Of course, the very best way to do research is to find the oldest members of your family who are still living, sit down with them and listen to their stories. Have a tape recorder, or better yet, a video recorder. Believe me, you will treasure those recordings when that family member is on longer around.
We've really had a lot of fun finding out about both of our families. Jeff found that his great-grandfather was a friend of Ford, Edison and Rockefeller. Edison wrote about going to the Catskills in Ford's car to visit "the good doctor". The good doctor was Jeff's great-grandfather, Dr. Joseph Freston. We have a bound book signed by all of them which has pictures of one of their camping trips. We also found that Dr. Freston was a descendant of Sir Thomas More. Thus, Jeff's grandma was named Janet More Freston. Her brother Julian was one of the first pilots in WWI. His picture in uniform and Jeff's picture in uniform look like the same person!
I found out from my aunt that my Dad's family has had someone in every US war since The Revolutionary War. The first one was Hanchrist Carlock, who turned out to be one of Washington's officers. My aunt found a plaque on a bridge in Virginia into which both of them had carved his name. Luckily, my Dad was still alive when my son joined the Marines and went to Iraq. My Dad was so proud, and proclaimed that Tom was the Carlock descendant for this war. Sadly, it seems that there will always be wars, but my Dad's family has always proudly stepped forward in each one.
Have fun, and keep good records. You might be creating a family treasure!
Marla

mountaindreamer
10-30-2009, 12:25 PM
Hi Sandy, my friend returned home and called me. She uses Ancestry.com, and loves it. She tried the free time offer, and enjoyed the website so much that she joined for a year. Hope you have fun.

SandyR
10-30-2009, 03:01 PM
thanks Marla and Phyllis. That's some great advice and I am going to check those sites out. :cute: