PDA

View Full Version : Inevitable?

jennyjo
10-25-2009, 08:15 AM
I have read all the possible health situations which can happen and am just starting to think that living a full life span with lupus is really not reality? Correct me if I am wrong. It just seems like with vasculitis (I have not been told I have this), or other problems a person will not survive.. how can you remain positive with this sort of prognosis??

rob
10-25-2009, 08:35 AM
I have read all the possible health situations which can happen and am just starting to think that living a full life span with lupus is really not reality? Correct me if I am wrong. It just seems like with vasculitis (I have not been told I have this), or other problems a person will not survive.. how can you remain positive with this sort of prognosis??

My mother has SLE and she is 72 years old, and quite active. Nothing is inevitable in regards to Lupus, and "what if's" only lead to stress and more worry, which you don't need.

Rob

mountaindreamer
10-25-2009, 08:40 AM
good morning jennyjo, being positive is the only option that i feel like i have. Yes, i guess we have been dealt a diagnosis of potential problems which will probably lead to reducing our life span. But, this diagnosis slapped me in the face, and made me realize that i must enjoy the time and special moments that i do have. I believe that everyone has to deal with this in the way that is best for them. I have always been a positive person, who has a hearty laugh.....i fight each day not to let lupus steal this from me. There are so many things that i love to do, but can no longer enjoy. This year will be my first holiday season where i do not cook for the whole family. I can no longer pick up the heavy pots and pans, carry the heavy grocery bags, or stand on my feet long enough to cook. I am worried about depression kicking in, and i am already fighting the depression, so i am going to try to find another way to enjoy my family with a smile on my face......we will probably start a new family tradition, and order pizza. Trying to maintain a positive outlook is the only way that i know how to prevent myself from totally giving up. If my days have to be reduced, then i choose laughing over crying................Also, i believe that my age plays a significant role in my attitude. I am 57 years old, have raised 3 children, and i feel like i have accomplished a lot......I can certainly understand how a younger person would justifiably have trouble maintaining a positive attitude. However, since i am 57 and have had lupus for over 30 years now (several of which were in remission), i hope that you younger lupies have many many years ahead of you. Besides, maybe modern science will find a cure in the next few years...........And, finally, my friends here help me every day. Sorry for rambling.

Bonita
10-25-2009, 10:41 AM
Every day is a gamble if we are to live or not. I just plan to enjoy whatever time i have be it from the dieases or something else just live life as if it is your last day and remember to say i love you to your family. God is good. Love Bonita

SandyR
10-25-2009, 06:52 PM
This year will be my first holiday season where i do not cook for the whole family. I can no longer pick up the heavy pots and pans, carry the heavy grocery bags, or stand on my feet long enough to cook. I am worried about depression kicking in, and i am already fighting the depression, so i am going to try to find another way to enjoy my family with a smile on my face......we will probably start a new family tradition, and order pizza.

Why don't you start a new tradition and have your kids cook at your house with you instructing them how to make all your family recipes. Great way to pass them down if you haven't already and a great new memory for all.

mountaindreamer
10-25-2009, 08:45 PM
hi sandy r, that is probably what we will do, but i think it would also be fun to order pizza and just sit around and visit. Everyone is so busy, we just don't have a lot of time for each other. Oh, i think i would have to get myself relaxed with a few glasses of wine before i could turn my kids loose in my kitchen.....oh, the horror of the thought. ha ha ha..............thanks for caring.

Danica01
10-25-2009, 11:50 PM
There is a plan for each and every one of us. When I wake up in the morning I am thankful that I am alive for another day. It is another day that I am living with Lupus. Is it a hard day?......sometimes......is it a painful day?.........most of the time........is it a good day?.......yes. Everyday that we live with our disease is another day that we should be thankful for. It is another day that someone is working on a cure and medications to make our lives more comfy. There are a lot of complications that can shorten our lives but there are also horrible drivers that can hit you while you are in your car. Living a life filled with what ifs is not living at all. When it is your last day on this earth how do you want to remember your life??????? Do you want to look back and think to yourself I worried my life away??????? You should look back and smile thinking of your loved ones, thinking about the adventures you had and remembering that you fought Lupus everyday of you life and won because you did not let it take you without a fight! We are all fighting our disease everyday and we are doing it together. So, remember you are not alone and the worries you have right now are all worries that cross all of our minds. Just make the choice today that you are going to smile and laugh one more time than you did yesterday. Keep fighting and remember that you are strong and together we will eventually all beat this! :grouphug:

Tamy
10-26-2009, 04:29 AM
My mother has SLE and she is 72 years old, and quite active. Nothing is inevitable in regards to Lupus, and "what if's" only lead to stress and more worry, which you don't need.

Rob

Rob, I spend a lot of time worrying about my future too, but reading the above gives me the motivation to live a long, and active life. It's stories like that we need to be focusing on, your mum may have done it tough, but as far as i'm concerned, she's beaten this disease. Good on her, and thank you for posting. It's amazing what a few words can do.
Tammy.

Monique89
10-26-2009, 05:26 AM
I honestly feel like i am fightiing a losing battle sometimes, but i have to have faith in my doctors and medicine and hope to god that i will be ok.
My nana has lupus, and she is 74 years old...sure she has her health problems, but she also had a triple bypass at 60 and was told she only had 5 years to live....so that just says to me that you cannot just take what they say to you as absolute because i think that attitude and belief will get us all a long way.