PDA

View Full Version : I HAVE to QUIT SMOKING! HELPPPP

smokerscat94
10-22-2009, 10:27 PM
I really need to quit smoking! I have smoked for over ten years. I have asthma and now pneumonia. I don't want to have bad lungs. Lupus is hard enough on my lungs, I don't need the problems associated with smoking. Any ideas on what might help me quit?

SirLupAllot
10-22-2009, 10:40 PM
Hi Smokerscat,

When I became sick 1.5 yr ago (with what turned out to be Lupus) I quit smoking at that time after being addicted for 26 years. Shortness of breath is one of my biggest challenges with Lupus, so I quit to give my lungs a break.

First, you have to plan your quit. Set your quit day and PREPARE for it. Get plenty of distractions (lollie-pops, pencil puzzles, and even take walks around the block).

I used Chantix which helped me ALLOT .. some complain about the side effects. You start taking them 1 week before you quit ..then full doses when you quit up to six months... well, at 20 days I started cutting my pills in half which helped keep the craves at bay - but also cut down on the side effects.

I strongly encourage you to buy and read Allen Carr's book - The Easy Way to Stop Smoking. He smoked over 100 cigs a day for over 30 years and he successfully quit with his methods. Carr teaches that having a cigarette does NOT solve a craving .. rather it CREATES the next craving. Break the cycle.

Get yourself a quit keeper .... google 'quit keeper' and you will find several ... you can download it to your computer and it will track your progress including how much money you have saved and all your milestones ...

Good luck !! If I can do it, anyone can !!!

Morpheus
10-23-2009, 12:38 AM
Hi smoker :)
I did it after reading "allen Carr's easy way to stop smoking"
this was real powerfull stuff.
I Guarantee success :)

smokerscat94
10-23-2009, 02:30 AM
thank you sirlupallot, I will definately check into all of that. I know I need to quit, and I want to. Thanks for your input and support.

smokerscat94
10-23-2009, 02:30 AM
thank you morpheus.

Bonita
10-23-2009, 05:07 AM
My husband was a smoker for over 40 years and his profession was a welder and when he was diagnosised with copd 2 years ago and diabetis he quit cold turkey and never smoked again. I never thought this would happen all of my kids and i thought he would still be smoking with oxygen on but he did it and believe me if he can do it anyone can. Love Bonita it will not be easy but hang in there it is for your health
he smoked 2packs a day

magistramarla
10-23-2009, 09:51 AM
Hi Smokerscat,
I've never smoked, but I'm sure that all of us, whether we've experienced it or not, will be here for you when you need encouragement.
Should we change your nickname to Catlover as a start?
Hugs of encouragement,
Marla

lucky7
10-23-2009, 12:39 PM
I've never been a smoker either BUT GOOD FOR YOU on WANTING to quit!!!!! We're here to support you on FLUSHING that habit down the toilet!:Flush:

justomegirlindallas
10-23-2009, 03:49 PM
I also read: "allen Carr's easy way to stop smoking"

I didn't even finish my last cigarrette. I quit and never looked back. You do not get anything from cigarrettes except for sickness and an empty wallet. On top of that, the crap makes you think it is your stress relief and its not! It stress you out!

good luck

lucky7
10-23-2009, 04:06 PM
WELL SAID ANNA!!!!! CONGRATS TO YOU on QUITTING and SEEING it for WHAT IT REALLY IS! WOO HOO!!!:yes:

AND for LOVING yourself enough to do it!!!!

SandyR
10-24-2009, 10:10 PM
I quit smoking 3 years ago. I never read Allen Carr's book. I smoked from 18-28 on and off, mostly on, and was raised in a smoking house household where I was exposed to 2nd hand smoke daily from ages 3-13. My mom used Chantrax to quit smoking but it gave her really bad nightmares.
I had quit smoking both (short term) successively and unsuccessfully multiple times. This time my final straw was that I kept getting sick, would stop smoking while sick, get better, start smoking again and get sick again. It was a cycle I got tired off. I had tried cold turkey before with mixed success. This time, I had a step down program that I used. I started with a quit date, gave myself at least 2 weeks to mentally prepare for it. Decided that I wouldn't be able to buy a pack after that day. I also decided that if I did want a smoke, it could only be when I was out with friends or out at the bar (that was the #1 place/time I used to smoke) and only if I was able to bum one off of someone. I chewed lots and lots and lots of gum in the car. Within a few months, I was down to smoking once a month or less at that point, I just didn't enjoy the taste or smell anymore. Now, it grosses me out when I smell other people's cigarettes, even if they aren't immediately next to me. I wish I had known about that book that SirLupAllot recommended. I probably would have quit sooner. Feel free to PM me if you need some venting or support while you are quitting. Give yourself time to adjust to the new change. Your body will be loving you very soon. It will be easier to breathe and things will taste delicious again.

lucky7
10-27-2009, 11:49 AM
WOO HOO Sandy!!!!!!!!!!!!!:yes:

BonusMom
10-27-2009, 06:45 PM
Kudos to all of you that have stopped smoking! My parents both smoked. My mom quit at age 62, on my eldest son's birthday, after starting in her teens. My dad, who just turned 70 (a surprise since he's been a heavy smoker since age 14), still smokes like a chimney although he's on oxygen for emphysema and had a cancerous lump removed from his right lung last year.

My mom said it's wonderful to actually have taste buds again. She used the patch for nearly a year (tapering the "dose" and frequency of changing the patches). She still coughs up phlegm in the morning, but she says that's nothing compared to all the coughing she did while smoking.

My dad can only smoke outside or in the garage and forbidden to smoke in the car (I'm so proud of her for putting her foot down).

Keep up the good work and keep the "end" in mind!

smokerscat94
11-18-2009, 11:11 PM
I really want to quit! I was told by my doctors I need to quit but I need to wait until this flare is somewhat under control. The success rate would be higher I guess. makes sense in that if I am in pain I smoke more than when I am not. So once this flare is under control I AM QUITING!!!!! CAN'T WAIT!

magistramarla
11-19-2009, 09:42 AM
Smoker'scat,
Keep us updated - I'm looking forward to the day that we can start calling you Catlover, not Smoker'scat.
Marla