PDA

View Full Version : folic acid reactions

kim,l
10-21-2009, 03:38 PM
hi everyone is anyone had reaction to folic acid i seem to be getting severe stomach cramps nausea dioreah had to take tablets to stop this happens every week first i take mexotrexate on saturday then on monday take folic acid to counteract side affects of mexotrexate but i am only having 3 good days out of 7 all the other times i am feeling sick and going to toilet i am just wondering is this a normal reaction or should i be worried any help with would be appreciated kim l

mountaindreamer
10-21-2009, 04:56 PM
hi kim, I wonder what dosage of folic acid you take on Tuesday. Angel Oliver also takes hers once a week. However, my dr. has me on a daily dosage, so maybe mine is a lesser dosage so is not so bad on stomach. Sorry i can't help you, maybe you should call your dr. and see if they can help with this problem. Also, like with so many other meds., maybe the side effects will lessen with time. I hope you get some help really soon.....stomach stuff is no fun.

magistramarla
10-21-2009, 07:32 PM
I didn't know that folic acid causes the trots, too! I've just been blaming the plaquinel, since it definitely gives me the trots.
I also take folic acid once per day. No wonder I have to stay close to the potty!
Marla

BonusMom
10-21-2009, 07:46 PM
I just picked up my RX for folic acid 1 mg 4 x's daily......perhaps I won't need to take Miralax anymore?????

Bonita
10-22-2009, 09:29 AM
My doctor has me on daily doses of folic acid 3 a day every day because of the methotrexate and so far it has not caused me to have the trots sometimes i wish a little of that because of the iron and the hydrocodone it is the oppisite. I guess no happy medium. Bonita

kim,l
10-22-2009, 04:21 PM
phyllis i take 5mg of folic acid once a week and 15mg of mexotrexate once a week, plaquenil 200mg twice a day, prednisone 7mg once a day, cardizem 180mg twice a day for heart, liptor 40mg once a day , thyroxine 150mg once a day atacand 8mg for bloodpressure once a day, somac 40mg for stomach, endone,for pain when needed and valium when needed buscopan for stomach, and gastro stop i am taking nearly every week..now and zostrix cream for the electric shocks in arms and legs, and iron tablets for anemia, and vitamin b12, panadol when needed really need to sort this out i am so weak have also had to take gastrolyte this week became dehydrated having trouble just getting out of bed i am worried this bout of the trots has sent me back into a flare i am dizzy and severe headaches and neckaches my whole body is aching i am shaking and dropping everything it hurts just to write this message could not use the bars in the toilet last night to pull myself up had to get help and am needing my daughter to help me get dressed the fatigue is so bad right now i am only averaging maybe 2 out of 7 good days at the moment am losing my hair. thanks for listening hope you are having good day my friend hope all your family is well and happy hugs kim l