PDA

View Full Version : Postive things which have resulted in your SLE diagnosis

jennyjo
10-18-2009, 03:23 PM
Happy Sunday everyone,
I thought it would be interesting for all of us to think about any positive attributes that the "Lupie" has made in our lives. I thought it would be encouraging for others to see positive things which have come into our lives as a result of our diagnosis. I know that I would have never met any one of you had I not been diagnosed. Let's all share!! :yes:

rob
10-18-2009, 04:59 PM
For me, discovering WHL and the friends I've made here is a big one. Moving back to Maine for a new start and to be closer to my family is another.

I had to give up flying real planes, but from that I discovered the hobby of flying model planes which I absolutely love.

I never used to pay much attention to other peoples problems and struggles. I used to look away when I saw someone in need. I think, and I hope, that my own need for understanding and support has made me more aware of others who need the same thing.

Anyway, this is a great idea and subject for a new thread Jenny, thank you for starting it.

Rob

bunnie
10-18-2009, 08:47 PM
Great idea, Jennifer! I agree with Rob...
Some good things that have come from being chronically ill:
I know what is important to me!
I am closer in my walk with the Lord.
I have learned to let go of foolish pride.
I am no longer a perfectionist.
I have learned to find joy in the little things, like holding my 8 month old as she sleeps in my arms...
Like Rob, I have found more empathy for others who struggle.
I have let go of vanity. (I used to be so proud of my perfect skin!!)
I have found out just how wonderful heating pads are, and comfy clothes, and coffee makers with timers!
I have found out who my true friends are.
The simple truth that I married the most wonderful, perfect man for me, has been proved. Over and over.
And I found this amazing group of caring people....
Love to each of you,
Deb

kim,l
10-19-2009, 12:22 AM
i have learn,t that i do not have to be in control all the time and to take time out for myself and that it is alright to ask for help when you need it and that my family are just wonderful supporting me. and also i have made some wonderful kind friends on this site. and to just value every day. kim l

Angel Oliver
10-19-2009, 04:59 AM
I have also found good friends on WHL and such wonderful information here which has lead me to get other diagnosis which i would never of known about.....except the Lupus one which was took off me :)

I also have found out who my true friends are,

I am not as lonely and do smile every now n again,

I have learnt that i am not lazy and will rest when needed (most of the time lol),

I have learnt there are many wonderful,understanding and caring helpful people in the world,

I am stronger than i thought i was,

I understand now its ok for people including family not to understand my illness and to just let it go when they are rude and ignorant,

I am getting stronger every day even though i cry....time is the key n knowledge.

I will always eat chocolate :) xx

justomegirlindallas
10-19-2009, 06:55 AM
I started a volunteer organization to help others who need advocates

dba: Patient Advocacy of North Texas
http://www.patientadvocacycenter.org

mountaindreamer
10-19-2009, 07:49 AM
wow, jennifer, what a great thread. the friends that i have found here are the first on my list of "good things that have happened." From there, i have learned that i am important, and i have learned to be a strong advocate for my medical needs. I have learned to let others help me,and that i don't always have to be helping everyone else. I have learned to be thankful for what i have experienced in the past, and i have learned to accept the things that i can no longer do. I have also learned how incredibly wonderful and caring my kids are.

Saysusie
10-19-2009, 11:33 AM
Great Thread :yes:

I have learned to recognize what is truly important in my life and to let go of those trivial things that I once thought of as important!
I have made lifelong, loving friends here at WHL
I have learned that the physical loss of someone does not, in any way, diminish the spiritual love and warmth that they provide!
I have learned that it is much more rewarding to help than it is to ignore.

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

lucky7
10-20-2009, 04:33 PM
What a GREAT THREAD JENNY!!!! Amanda, IM SO PROUD OF YOU MY DEAR FRIEND!!!!! YOU are such a STRONG WOMAN and you have changed the things that have been in YOUR CONTROL to change!!!!! WOO HOO TO YOU!!

~ Ive met the BEST PEOPLE on this site who UNDERSTAND and SUPPORT ME!
~Ive made some DEAR FRIENDS from around the WORLD!
~My hubby stepped up in ways i never could have imagined.
~My kids arent as self-centered anymore.
~ I enjoy hobbies i NEVER thought about before.
~I take care of ME FIRST if i HAVE to.
~I dont take LIFE for granted.
~ Im THANKFUL for the things that are OK and are at least THERE and WORKING when it comes to my BODY INSIDE and OUT!

SandyR
10-20-2009, 07:37 PM
Great thread! :yes:

-I have learned to listen more and talk less.
-I've learned who is there when I am most in need.
-I have learned that somethings you need to let people go because they aren't doing anything to make your life better/happier/healthier.
-I've learned that sleeping in on a Saturday is my body's way of making sure that I have enough energy to go to the game on Sunday.
-I have learned that there are good people who you meet on line that become great friends and some of those even know you better then your "real life friends" (<3 my WHL friends!)
-I've learned that going to the ER when you don't feel well and the doctor is closed isn't as big a deal as I thought it was and that it may even get me results with my own docs faster.
-I've learned that I don't have to accept a doctor's words or attitude or God complex b/c they work for me and I have a right to good care.
-I've learned that the world won't stop and things at work WILL be ok if I take the time for myself and take a sick day.
-I've learned that even though life changes, change is not bad.

tiggerlishus - Heidi
10-21-2009, 04:15 AM
WOW FANTASTIC THREAD!!!!!!!

well as mention before whl is one things on top of my list and the life long riends that i have found on here and the point i know i come here if i have any problem from relationships to lupus related and there is always some one here to listen and say the right thing!!

i have also learnt:
- i'm stronger than i ever thought i was!!
-that when times get hard no matter how alone i can feel i never really am!
-that no matter how ill i feel i never lose my sense of humour!! :-)
-that i have an addiction to fb, whl and lupuschat!! lol
-that i'm more stuboarn than i thought!
-like amanda no matter what i will never give up chocolate!!
-that thou i'm 30 i'm learning new things about me everday!
-that i may not handle everything thrown at me to the best of my abilities but its ok and i will learn how to do it one day!
-that thier are always people worse off than me in this world so appraite every small thing that there is to be happy about!
- that i'm learning to let things that don't really matter go!
-and one of the most improtant thing i might have lupus and all the elements that go with it but it will never have me!!!

i can go on but go feel i will tend to repeat myself!!

Tamy
10-21-2009, 04:34 AM
Great thread!
All of the above for me too. I guess something good, even comes out of the bad.
Aside from the things that have already been said, my most positive thing that has come out of my ill health, was the fact that I stopped smoking. I'd been smoking cigarettes for 15 years. The only time I ever gave my body a break, was when I was pregnant. If it wasn't for the "lupus", i'd still be smoking today...and who knows, I may have ended up with a worse scenario.

Bonita
10-21-2009, 02:45 PM
I have learned that each day God gives us is a blessing. And that i got to be on this website and that i have been blessed with a very good rhumatologist and that i have put all of you on my prayer list which i read every morning during my devotions, Love and prayers Bonita

SandyR
10-21-2009, 08:32 PM
"my most positive thing that has come out of my ill health, was the fact that I stopped smoking. "

Tamy - Good for you! I totally forgot about this when doing my list but getting a bad flare 3 years ago made me quit too.

banderosa
10-23-2009, 01:55 PM
Oh, God. Am I the only one, who is not seeing anything positive yet?
I am so glad that you have positive results. Maybe some day I will feel this way too.

debbie-b
10-23-2009, 02:28 PM
I have been thinking, but can't come up with anything, except for being glad, that I met all of you. Don't get me wrong, I don't live a unhappy life, I am not bitter, but I just find it hard to see any positive things, maybe there is something and I just haven't seen it yet. Having you guys as my friends, is the only positive for me.

Debbie

lucky7
10-23-2009, 02:32 PM
WELL SHOOT DEBBIE, what MORE do you NEED if you HAVE US! LOL:laugh:

AWWWWW, the "things" are there, youre just not "seeing" them at the moment. Sometimes its just HARD to SEE them sweetie.

LOVE YOU!!!!!! XXXXXXXXXXXX

debbie-b
10-23-2009, 02:35 PM
WELL SHOOT DEBBIE, what MORE do you NEED if you HAVE US! LOL:laugh:

AWWWWW, the "things" are there, youre just not "seeing" them at the moment. Sometimes its just HARD to SEE them sweetie.

LOVE YOU!!!!!! XXXXXXXXXXXX

You make me laugh:laugh:. That is what I am thinking too, I am just not seeing it.

Debbie

lucky7
10-23-2009, 02:39 PM
WE ALL CAN FEEL "positive", its all about our MIND SET.:yes: What we TELL ourselves is the most POWERFUL influence we have over ourselves.:cute:

I know one thing ALL of US can say to this, we are ALL still alive and seeing the blue skies above! When YOU look up at the sky, i might be looking up at the same sky at THAT very moment! Heres to the sky,the clouds and the moon and the stars everyone!!!!!!!!!:wave:

lucky7
10-23-2009, 02:41 PM
WOO HOO to DEBBIE!!!!!!! SEE, you LOOKED and you FOUND!!!!!!! YOU GO GIRL!!!!!:popworm:

tiggerlishus - Heidi
10-23-2009, 03:58 PM
hat debbie sorry your feeing this way! trust when i say i don't live te joyest of lifes but when i'm at my lowest i write mental list of what there is to be happy about and as jeannette said "we are ALL still alive and seeing the blue skies above! When YOU look up at the sky, i might be looking up at the same sky at THAT very moment! Heres to the sky,the clouds and the moon and the stars everyone!!!!!!!!!"
as well as big things like that i count myself lucky for having roof over my head and water running and food in belly and it grows and by time you finished youre quite suprised how long the list is!!!
i also believe in the glad game has any one heard of that??

lucky7
10-23-2009, 04:04 PM
WOO HOO!!! GO HEIDI!!!!!

The glad game? HMMMMMMM, i use to play a game with my family (now they roll their eyes at me when i want to play!) where we all had to say something positive about the other people in the room! It MADE THEM THINK about others in a positive light and to be THANKFUL for the good in our loved ones!

Danica01
10-24-2009, 12:29 AM
I have found love. I have found what real love feels like when you receive it and what it is like to give unconditional love to others in your life. Most important, I found a love for myself. I am unique and special and there isn't another one of me out there, Tim is thankful for that! I have learned to love the painful nights that make you question the day. I have learned to love the poison I put into my body just to feel a little bit better and I have learned to recognize and love my limitations. All of it, the good, the bad makes me who I am and I am worth being loved by others and also by myself :hug:

tiggerlishus - Heidi
10-24-2009, 01:08 AM
Hay lucky the glad came comes from the film polyanne its a fanastic film quite old and in it the little girl plays the glad game at first it got on every ones nerves but eventually they grew to love it!!! it was the quite simplist of things like they were complaining cause they hated sundays so she said there was one thing to be glad about and that there was a whole seven day before it was sunday again! its great film normal comes on in the uk when its xams or easter or something like that!! i love i'm really in to those kind of films and musicals i love musical realy feel good factor films!!

Danica thats great!! that give me such hope!! xxx

lucky7
10-27-2009, 11:54 AM
THANKS HEIDI! COOL! Im going to check into that!!!!!:cute:

tiggerlishus - Heidi
10-27-2009, 01:44 PM
THANKS HEIDI! COOL! Im going to check into that!!!!!:cute:

more than welcome my hun its great film give warm glow inside!! xx

debbie-b
10-28-2009, 05:21 AM
hat debbie sorry your feeing this way! trust when i say i don't live te joyest of lifes but when i'm at my lowest i write mental list of what there is to be happy about and as jeannette said "we are ALL still alive and seeing the blue skies above! When YOU look up at the sky, i might be looking up at the same sky at THAT very moment! Heres to the sky,the clouds and the moon and the stars everyone!!!!!!!!!"
as well as big things like that i count myself lucky for having roof over my head and water running and food in belly and it grows and by time you finished youre quite suprised how long the list is!!!
i also believe in the glad game has any one heard of that??

I don't want you guys to misunderstand me. I do live a happy life, I have everything I want, I have the best husband. But, I also have alot of pain, pretty much daily, that is why I can't find anything positive, coming from lupus& co.

Debbie

tiggerlishus - Heidi
10-28-2009, 09:05 AM
hay debs i just read you comment about what isaid and noticed spelling mistake i did i hope you noticed that it wasn't supose to be hat but hay!! and i didn't mean to come across like i misunderstood you was trying to help you find some thing postive from everything like you give me hop to know you have a great husband who understands your lupus gives me hope to find one too much love H xx

lucky7
11-02-2009, 02:13 PM
SEE Debbie:cute:, YOU ARE THANKFUL for some things. WOO HOO to YOU! I UNDERSTAND MORE than you know though, believe me. Im in your boat it sounds like,pretty much daily i have some sort of flare. :skeptical: MOST of the time i have a GOOD ATTITUDE BUT, im HUMAN, (especially when i have PMS and now im experiencing early symptoms of menopause! UGH LOL),SO,i have my days where i just want to cry.:hissyfit: Actually, sometimes i DO! Heck, it makes me FEEL BETTER usually! Heres to crying (Sometimes! LOL)!:061:

Katie87
11-14-2009, 01:09 AM
Ironically, my SLE diagnosis was a positive turning point in my life. If I stress out with SLE, I will end up sick for days or in the hospital, so I learned to control my stress. I'm now happier than I've ever been simply because I know better than to sweat the small stuff.

Also, I'm in nursing school and having SLE keeps me very interested in the material and helps me relate to my patients. I'll make a better nurse because of it.