PDA

View Full Version : Cooking in California

magistramarla
10-11-2009, 09:25 PM
Boy, I'm enjoying living in California! I'm going nuts with the fresh fruits and vegetables that are available here. EVERYTHING is locally grown, and I want to cook it all! And don't even get me started on the fresh seafood - wow!
I love to cook, and I'm hooked on the Food Network.
Here's what I've been up to lately:
Friday - Shrimp and arugula with pasta and lemon, a Greek salad and fresh steamed asparagus. (some Monterey Chardonnay, of course)
Saturday - seafood stuffed cannelloni, kale cooked with ham, leftover salad and asparagus
Sunday morning - omelets made with leftover ham, scallions and Gruyere cheese.
Sunday dinner - Jeff's mother's recipe for flank steak and mushroom sauce, with a California twist. I used locally grown onions and garlic, and baby Bella mushrooms grown right here on the Monterey Peninsula. I also used a nice local red wine in the sauce.
Plums were fresh and lovely at the commissary, so I made plum crisp with ice cream for dessert.
I get my MTX tonight, so I won't feel like cooking tomorrow. I've told Jeff that he gets to "cook" tomorrow. He's good at warming up leftovers in the microwave.
My part of the deal when we moved out here for him to go to school is to keep him clean and fed. I happen to enjoy the feeding part!
After I get used to cooking with all of this wonderful fresh food, it will be very hard to leave in three years!
Chef Marla

mountaindreamer
10-12-2009, 09:21 AM
i am calling a moving company now....Can i come to California and sit at your dinner table.....yum yum, it all sounds wonderful. Take care of yourself after your mtx today.

DrinkofWtr
10-12-2009, 11:47 AM
I seem to never have time for cooking. I give everything else in my life priority. Therefore, I have decided that you can save a place for me at your dinner table. Sounds delicious!

SandyR
10-12-2009, 06:36 PM
my stomach is full but your post has my mouth watering. :yes: have you seen the new cooking social group on here that Abbasgirl started? You should join and post those recipes. I would personally like to know more about that shrimp and arugala dish. :yes:

Spanglishqueen
10-12-2009, 08:14 PM
My goodness...MOVE over Rachel Ray :laugh: Awesome. I find cooking soothing when I do it for fun and trying out recipes. Bon Apetite

Saysusie
10-13-2009, 05:09 PM
You know, I am so spoiled from being in California for most of my life. I take the fresh fruits and homegrown vegetables for granted! It takes a newcomer to make me to realize how much we have in this state.
I am so glad that you are loving our state and enjoying what we have to offer!

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

Pretti in Pink
10-13-2009, 05:54 PM
Good for you Chef Marla- exploring the cooking world can be loads of fun. I hope all went well with your treatment today.

magistramarla
10-14-2009, 07:15 PM
Hi Everyone,
Thanks for all the great comments. Sorry that it took a while to get back to you - the storm knocked out our internet for a while.
SaySusie, I know what you are talking about - we tend to take things for granted when that's what we've known all of our lives. I didn't leave the place where I was born until I married Jeff, and now I have a much greater appreciation for the St. Louis area and all it has to offer. You don't know what you've got 'til you leave it behind. That's also part of why we've loved our military way of life. We have gotten to sample the good things (and the bad) about several parts of the country. We're certainly having a good time sampling life in California.
Sandy, Thanks for the info about the cooking group - I'll have to sign up. As for posting the recipes, I'll certainly give my steak recipe. That one, I got from my mother-in-law. The others I don't think it would be legal to post, since I got them straight from The Food Network. Just go to their sight and click on Giada's Italian. In her recipes, you can find Linguine with shrimp and lemon oil (also has arugula) and crab stuffed cannelloni. I've been experimenting with her recipes, as well as Barefoot Contessa, Paula Deen and Rachael Ray.
I do love to cook, but I'm not as good as they are! I have a cousin who is a 4 star chef and owns a great restaurant - now he's a great cook!
As I told my hubby - I'm just doing my job!
Marla

BonusMom
10-14-2009, 08:51 PM
Just wait until the artichokes are in season! Seriously, I've never seen artichokes as huge as the ones available at the markets in Aptos and Gilroy (near Monterey) in April. They are so tasty--even with being so large.

If you enjoy cooking, Google "The Pioneer Woman". She's got a fantastic blog with simple recipes and lots of photos. Her first cookbook is coming out at the end of the month (yes, I pre-ordered my copy).

Being raised amongst apple orchards, I so appreciate the taste of an apple picked fresh from the tree. Oh, and the cider and apple pie and apple doughnuts.........I'm gonna go find a snack.

magistramarla
10-15-2009, 08:21 AM
Hi BonusMom,
I've heard about the artichoke festival, and I've already bought garlic labeled grown in Gilroy. I've also heard that Gilroy has a great outlet mall.
I've known about "The Pioneer Woman" for a long time, and I have many of her recipes bookmarked. I haven't been to her site in a while, so I didn't know about the cookbook. I would like to buy it, just to support what she does. Her site is such a delight!
Marla