PDA

View Full Version : I had Heat Stroke

DrinkofWtr
10-05-2009, 04:48 PM
It was unbearably hot here in Oxnard a few days ago and I ended up with heat stroke. I was vomiting, had heat cramps and was disoriented, and on the verge of fainting. Anyway, my boyfriend was home and put ice packs on me and cold towels. He almost had to call the paramedics to take me to the hospital. I came out of it though, thank God. It was a terrifying experience.

mountaindreamer
10-05-2009, 04:50 PM
oh drink, so sorry about the heat stroke...they are so very frightening. I am glad that your boyfriend was there and knew what to do. Are you feeling better now?take care of yourself,

SandyR
10-05-2009, 07:14 PM
ugh heat stroke feels horrible. I hope you got lots of rest and fluids today and are feeling better.

Saysusie
10-05-2009, 08:07 PM
Heat Stroke can be very dangerous. I am so glad that you boyfriend was there and that he acted quickly. Please be very careful and take very good care of yourself!

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

abbasgirl
10-06-2009, 07:19 AM
Oh girlfriend...((((((((Hugs)))))))) SO SO glad you're still here with us! How are you today?

DrinkofWtr
10-06-2009, 12:56 PM
Dear Abbasgirl and other friends,

By the next day I was feeling much better. In fact, I was able to go to the Avocado festival for a few hours last weekend. Luckily, the weather has cooled down considerably. I am glad my fan lasted through those last hot days. It gave up the ghost the day before yesterday. Thank you all for your concern. Heat stroke was indeed scary to say the least.

abbasgirl
10-07-2009, 06:57 AM
I'm so glad to hear you're okay, D. I've never been to an Avocado festival...what's that like?

I hope you get that fan replaced quickly. I'm not familiar with what the temps are like there this time of year...how far does the temp drop during winter season?

BonusMom
10-07-2009, 08:44 AM
Having my first encounter with heat stroke this past summer, I purchased a nice straw hat to prevent a recurrence. It's helped me tremendously. Even with consuming lots of water I got heat stroke-probably because I was in direct sun. A former sun worshipper (I am a Cali girl afterall), I've traded in my bathing suit for light weight cover ups, sunglasses, hats and sunscreen. It's just not worth it.

So glad your boyfriend was with you and knew what to do!

DrinkofWtr
10-08-2009, 08:03 AM
Dear Abbasgirl:

The avocado festival had bands, and local kids performing the Avocado Witches of Oz (a local rendition of the "Wizard of Oz". There was also a lot of food and things to buy, especially with an avocado theme. The main reason we went was for the music and since my boyfriend is from there he say a lot of people he knew and could catchup on what was going on in their lives.

It can get to freezing here in the winter, but not very often. We don't get snow and the temperatures get into the 30's and sometimes the 20's.

DrinkofWtr
10-08-2009, 08:11 AM
Dear Bonus Mom:

I too had lightweight clothing on and was drinking water and a watermelon juice cocktail (one of those big Arizona ones) just before I got the heat stroke. Granted I didn't have a hat on, but I was mostly in the car. Just goes to show you that you can be dehydrated before you even consume water etc., drink water etc., and still end up with heat stroke. I am sure it must have been at least a 100 degrees in the sun, but I didn't hear what the actual temperature was that day.

DrinkofWtr
10-12-2009, 11:52 AM
My son-in-law told me to drink Gatoraide next time because it has salt in it and salt keeps the electrolytes in balance.

mountaindreamer
10-12-2009, 03:25 PM
Gatorade rehydrates quicker than water, but time is the truly important factor....get some fluid into yourself very quickly.

SandyR
10-12-2009, 06:18 PM
Dear Bonus Mom:

I too had lightweight clothing on and was drinking water and a watermelon juice cocktail (one of those big Arizona ones) just before I got the heat stroke. Granted I didn't have a hat on, but I was mostly in the car. Just goes to show you that you can be dehydrated before you even consume water etc., drink water etc., and still end up with heat stroke. I am sure it must have been at least a 100 degrees in the sun, but I didn't hear what the actual temperature was that day.

Your body is about 75% water. Our bodies can become dehydrated by lowering this level even a little bit. That is why doctors recommend that we drink at least 8 8oz glasses of water a day. This can include water based beverages such as coffee, tea, fruit juices (natural ones), and flavor added waters like crystal light or fruit2o.

Thirst is an indicator of dehydration but not an early warning sign for it, it is the body's way of telling you that you need more fluids. By the time you are feeling the thirst, you may already be dehydrated. Other warning signs might include dry lips/skin, dizziness, confusuion, lightheadedness, fatigue, dry or sticky tongue/mouth, less frequent urination, dark or strong smelling urine, rapid pulse, rapid/shallow breathing and blue lips, sunken eyes, listlessness. Children's symptoms can also include dry diaper, tearless crying, sunken abdomen, high fever, irrirability, skin that doesn't restore it's flat shape when pinched.

It is important to recognize when dehydration is more then that and is also heatstroke.

Gatorade is a better choice of liquids then plain water or juice b/c it contains important salts like potassium and sodium which your body needs to function properly, but it is important not to rely on this as your only hydration source if you are severely dehydrated (from excessive vomiting or diarrhea for example) and to go to the hospital for IV fluids.

Signs and symptoms of heat stroke include the signs and symptoms of dehyration as well as headache, cold hands/feet, difficulty standing or remaining up, disorientation, sluggishness, seizure, high body temperature, skin that is hot and dry and flushed but not sweaty, loss of consciousness and hallucenations. If you are experiencing heat stroke, you should seek medical attention immediately. If you are around someone who experiences heat stroke you can help them by moving them to the shade, placing icepacks in their armpits and groin areas, have that person lie down and elevate their feet, call 911 (or other appropriate emergency number).

If you are taking diuretics, you should know that you are more prone to dehydration and should closely watch for signs and symptoms of dehydration and heat stroke while on those meds.