PDA

View Full Version : I can't stand this pain in my face, head and mouth!!!

mrstjscott
10-04-2009, 04:59 PM
Hi everyone. It's been a while since I have been on here. Lot's going on in my life right now. I am having severe pain in my head (on the right side where my wisdom tooth is supposedly giving me trouble). The pain is in my gums, my lip, and most of all, in the right side of my head. I have NEVER experienced any pain like this before. No matter what I take, the pain does not go away. HELP!!!! I am supposed to get the wisdom teeth out on the 7th of October, but if this doesn't stop, I may barge in there tomorrow and ask for emergency help.
Also, now I am literally seeing stars when I blink. Does anyone know what that is coming from?

mountaindreamer
10-04-2009, 06:05 PM
hi mrsjscott....glad to hear from you again...i have been wondering about you and how you are doing. I suggest you get help tomorrow....it may be your wisdom tooth, but it could be other problems....several of our members have serious problems with their jaws, so don't wait....get someone to give you some relief from the pain.

rob
10-04-2009, 06:38 PM
Hi everyone. It's been a while since I have been on here. Lot's going on in my life right now. I am having severe pain in my head (on the right side where my wisdom tooth is supposedly giving me trouble). The pain is in my gums, my lip, and most of all, in the right side of my head. I have NEVER experienced any pain like this before. No matter what I take, the pain does not go away. HELP!!!! I am supposed to get the wisdom teeth out on the 7th of October, but if this doesn't stop, I may barge in there tomorrow and ask for emergency help.
Also, now I am literally seeing stars when I blink. Does anyone know what that is coming from?

Your problem sounds an awful lot like mine. I was found to have a condition called Trigeminal Neuralgia about 6 weeks ago. It started with a sudden shooting/burning pain on the right side in my gums, lip, jaw, and up the side of my head. It was sudden, I saw a bright flash of light, and hit the floor. The pain was an intense constant burning with electric shock feelings coming in waves every few seconds.

I could not move, and it was the worst pain I have EVER felt. It was absolutely unbearable. I was taken to the hospital and after some preliminary tests and such, was given Demerol which did not stop the pain. It finally went away after about 2 hours.

Trigeminal Neuralgia is caused when the trigeminal nerve, below the brain, is inflamed or has an inflamed blood vessel that swells and touches the nerve. It can be caused by many different things, including having major dental work, or needing major dental work. Head trauma from an accident can cause it, and people with Lupus and MS are at a higher risk for it.

I was prescribed Neurontin, which worked at first, but became ineffective. I am on a higher dose, and feeling OK today. If you have TN, you can do some things to avoid a bout of it. Brush your teeth very gently with warm water. Do not eat anything really hot, or really cold. Chew slowly and carefully, and stay away from really crunchy or hard to chew food. I take aleve when the major pain subsides, and that seems to help keep it at bay temporarily.

Call your Dr. and tell him what's going on. If he thinks it's TN he'll refer you to a Neurologist. Your impacted wisdom tooth could easily be causing TN.

If you google the term, you'll find a wealth of information, as TN is a fairly well documented condition. I hope you are feeling better soon. I know it hurts like hell. Please, let us know what you find out. Hang in there.

Rob

Angel Oliver
10-05-2009, 12:53 PM
Welcome back Mrs Scott,

But im sorry to hear you are having such pain and i so hope you get help soon. Your symptoms sound so much like mine too.Rob, you know what,i am going to ask about this TN because i swear what you describe is what im going through and i carnt bare the pain much longer. I even get those flashing stars/lights Mrs Scott too. I feel for you cause noone knows such pain as there is no escape.You mention wisdom teeth,well mine are all gone,but recently had 3 good teeth pulled out due to my jaw problems,now my last back tooth is throbbing, right side burning stinging,i want to chop my head off.Such very similar symptoms we all have.I am going to mention this and soon.
Let us know how you get on and hope you ease a little but soon.

Love n hugs
Amanda.xxxxx

abbasgirl
10-06-2009, 07:59 AM
Hi Mrstjscott...how are you today?

I deal with a lot of jaw pain and it's an added pain to figure out what's causing it most of the time. I'd go ahead and make that phone call if you haven't already. You shouldn't have to suffer like that.