PDA

View Full Version : lupus test question

kim,l
10-01-2009, 04:47 PM
as some of you know i have a 14 year old daughter mikaela she has appointment for childrens hospital on wednesday the eye clinic she has been having trouble with her sight double vision and blurred vision and seeing words on the blackboard floating around as well as headaches. she has also been complaining of having stomach upsets for along time and aches and pains in her body she also has fatigue her teachers and the special bus driver she has who takes her to school because she is in special class says she is always falling asleep she says the sunlight bothers her and she does break out in rash on body when she gets a cold it can take over 2 weeks for her to recover her immune system seems very low she catches anything do you think i should ask doctors to do lupus tests or is she to young for it to show up. also as some of you know i also have 21 year old daughter with mental illness she has been showing a lot of the signs of lupus since she was 15 extreme joint pain swelling severe headaches mouth ulcers extreme tiredness teachers said she would fall asleep during class and they would call us to pick her up complained of chest pain has had severe stomach problems have had her at doctors for years they either said she had adhd or chronic fatigue the facility she lives in now i have ask them to do lupus test but they keep on telling me it is in her head she also has endometriosis do you all think its possible both of them inherited lupus from me as i inherited from my mother i would appreciate any input you could give me or do you think i am worrying for nothing. thankyou i would be very greatful for your responses hugs kim l

Tamy
10-01-2009, 05:29 PM
Hello Kim
Sorry to hear about all your worries. I'm no Doctor, but I do know that lupus can effect any age group. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to ask your daughters G.P to run some tests. If lupus is the problem, then they can start to treat her eye problem, rather than looking for explanations. Have they ever ran tests on your older daughter? I think telling you that it is all in her head is very rude. Are her doctors aware of your medical history? If any doctor has the intelligence to understand autoimmune diseases, then he/she would be keeping a close monitor on your daughters symptoms. I find it very irresponsible that a doctor can pass it off as being "all in our heads". I think you need to put your foot down, and request that the tests be done. If everything comes back okay, you will have one less problem in your life, if the worst should happen, and lupus is evident, at least you will be happier knowing that the problem has been found, and then the doctors can start treating it, rather than ignoring it.
I really hope you find some comfort and answerer's soon.
Tammy.

mountaindreamer
10-01-2009, 06:19 PM
hi kim, I agree with Tammy, the drs. "its all in her head" excuse is irresponsible. I had endometriosis in my 20s and ended up having a hysterectomy. So, i certainly believe her problems could be lupus related. After i was diagnosed, i told all of my children to have their drs. start checking their ANA counts. I also advised them to tell their drs about my diagnosis so that the drs. can start watching my children for symptoms. As you have seen by many members here, it is not necessarily uncommon for lupus to appear in the teens.....you are such a good mom, i hope your girls' drs. will listen to what you say.