PDA

View Full Version : Fellow Sci Fi Fans...

abbasgirl
09-29-2009, 03:06 PM
...Star Gate Universe begins this Friday at 9pm.

Oh goody goody goody!!!! Can't wait, can't wait!!!

bunnie
09-29-2009, 03:09 PM
Sounds awesome, but we don't get the sci fi channel! We'll be watching for it online...
:hissyfit:
Deb

abbasgirl
09-29-2009, 03:12 PM
Oh Deb...that sucks! :hissyfit: with you!!!

lucky7
09-29-2009, 04:16 PM
AWWWWWWWWWW~~~~~ LOVE the PIC Deb!!!!! SO SWEET!!!!

We dont get cable so we dont get that channel either BUT, my DAD DVRS those shows for me!!! Then he puts them on a disc and i pop it in and watch it on the treadmill to HELP ME THROUGH MY WALK!!!! Its a MUCH MORE PLEASURABLE WALK that way! It goes by quicker too!!! Sometimes ill even walk LONGER if theres a show i want to finish watching!!! I used to tell my clients to do whatever they NEEDED to do to get them through their cardio! This is what works for me!!!!:yes:

magistramarla
10-02-2009, 10:52 AM
Oh Yeah!!
Finally, another Stargate to enjoy! This one looks like it will be the "Voyager" of the Stargate Universe. Since Eureka and Warehouse 13 finished their season, we've been waiting for a decent sci-fi to enjoy.
I think that Sanctuary is coming back, too! Yeah!!
Is anybody watching "Fast Forward"? It's on a commercial channel, so you don't need cable. It is one freaky show, but it draws you in. It also has John Cho from the new Star Trek movie. My students called him a "hot Asian"!
Marla
The true Sci-fi Geek

abbasgirl
10-03-2009, 09:11 AM
Wow...was that cool or what???!!! It dragged a little there for a while but we liked it. It was so cool to see the old SG1 characters on there.

magistramarla...We've been watching Fast Foward. It's pretty neat. Hubby has a friend at work that mentioned an interesting theory about that show. Everything that is supposed to happen in the future happens about the same time Lost will be over...so she was wondering if they plan to tie the two shows together. Perhaps whatever it is happening on Lost made the population black out and see things. It's an interesting theory.

Jeanette, that is an awesome idea to help get through a work out! I know my daughter gets in a bit of a "cardio" seeing John Cho. :pant: lol. He is a "hot asian" in her opinion also. Awesome actor!

bunnie
10-03-2009, 07:02 PM
Hi Marla,
I am so glad I am not the only sci-fi "geek" on here!! Love Eureka, have missed it since we downgraded our dish to just locals! We watch reruns of Startrek with the kids, and are loving Flash Forward so far.
Are you going to watch the remake of "V" when it starts in November? I am curious to see how they do it.
Between hulu and fancast, I can watch most shows we don't get on our tv! Thank goodness for technology.....
Have a great weekend!
Deb

PS-Lucky7, thank you! (I am a little biased, but she is cute, isn't she??)

rob
10-04-2009, 04:40 AM
I'm a Sci-Fi fanatic, but I've never watched any of the Stargate shows or spin-offs. I've been mourning the end of what I consider the best sci-fi series ever, Battlestar Galactica. Edward James Olmos has always been a favorite actor, and he really shines in the series. Of course, for us guys, Tricia Helfer is a good reason to watch the show too!

But, there's hope for us BSG fans (Saysusie is one), as there is a 3 hour BSG movie directed by Olmos coming out on the Syfy channel, there is the new spinoff "Caprica" with Esai Morales as Olmos's father, and Eric Stoltz as the scientist who created the evil Cylons. And, there is an all new Theatrical movie in production due in theaters next year.

I'll have to check out the new Stargate, looks pretty cool.

Angel Oliver
10-04-2009, 07:54 AM
Oh i do like Stargate.Hey you know what, i so loved Quantum Leap and was madly in love with Sam Becket :) Bit off the subject there but thought id tell ya anyway ...did anyone else watch it? x

bunnie
10-04-2009, 11:29 AM
Hi Rob,
My husband and I have mourned the loss of Battlestar Galactica too. Caprica looks really good, looking forward to it.

Hi Angel Oliver,
I watched Quantum Leap with my Dad while I was growing up... and the original Battlestar Galactica, Buck Rogers, Star Trek, etc. My dad was definitely instrumental in developing my love for science fiction!

Have a great Sunday everyone!
Deb

rob
10-04-2009, 12:40 PM
Oh i do like Stargate.Hey you know what, i so loved Quantum Leap and was madly in love with Sam Becket :) Bit off the subject there but thought id tell ya anyway ...did anyone else watch it? x

Amanda,

That was a great show. The actor who played "Al", is Dean Stockwell. He played a character named "Cavil" in the new Battlestar series. He was the evil leader of the Cylons. He's a great actor.

Deb,

I watched all those shows growing up. I always laugh when I see a re-run of Buck Rogers with that goofy little silver robot guy that makes that funny "bedebede" sound. I used to think the original Battlestar Galactica was the coolest thing ever, but I watched some old episodes, and I forgot how campy and cheesy it was, especially when compared to the new series. The movie that comes out later this year on the new Syfy channel is called "The Plan". It tells the story of the original miniseries/pilot when the Cylons nuke everything, but it's played out and told from the Cylon perspective. It has all the original cast, and looks awesome.

Rob

Angel Oliver
10-04-2009, 01:31 PM
Oh Al is fab and yes Buck Rogers rules....another past love of mine :)

magistramarla
10-04-2009, 07:13 PM
Hi SciFi Fans,
I enjoyed Stargate Universe, too. It is a bit like Voyager - the mission is to get home. I'm just hoping that it doesn't get too dark. I stopped watching Battlestar G. because it just got too relentlessly dark. That's why I love the Star Trek series - they all seem to have hope for the future.
I was also a Quantum Leap fan, and I adored Scott Bakula. I loved him as Capt. Archer in Enterprise, too. However, the Scifi star that I've always had a huge crush on is Richard Dean Anderson. I loved him as MacGyver, and fell more deeply in love with him on SG1.
I've always had a thing for the smart guys in Scifi - Spock. Capt. Picard and the Captain on Deep Space Nine - all sexy to me. I guess I'm just a nerdy girl who likes nerdy guys, which is why I married one.
Next Friday should be great - SGU, then Sanctuary, followed by Numb3rs. Sci-Friday is back! It's our night to kick back with a drink in hand.
Marla the geek girl

jfal
10-05-2009, 12:54 PM
Being that I am in Mexico I don't get the SciFi channel. I get my fix by reading. I am currently finishing up The Mars trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson.

Angel Oliver
10-05-2009, 01:05 PM
Oh Jfal i wish you did get the sci fi channel or i hope you get it soon.But enjoy your Mars Trilogy,i dont know it.
Marla im so glad you enjoy them too,takes you away from reality and in a world of fantasy its fab.
We have a programme just started called Flash Forward.I just watched the first episode.The whole world,people,black out for 2 minutes.Noone knows why,people drowned ,planes crashed,operations being performed stopped as doctors fell to the floor,cars crashed......the date 29th April 2010 is in everyones memory,but nobody knows why.People wake with memories from the future....29 april 2010....children know things. Oh my...im hooked.If you want a preview let me know n i 'll post a link cause it looks very good.xxxxxxxxxx

Saysusie
10-05-2009, 08:30 PM
Another SciFi (SyFy) aficionado signing on...

I have not really been a fan of the Star Gate series (I loved the original movie with James Spader). However, the new Stargate Universe looks very interesting, so I think I may watch it. I hope that you don't have to know all about the other Stargates in order to enjoy this one!
I guess that I've missed the first episode, perhaps they will replay it. I've set my TiVo to record the series, so we can compare notes here :cute:

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

abbasgirl
10-06-2009, 07:09 AM
They're remaking V????? OH MY GOSH! Yeahhhh!

I liked BSG too until it got darker and then lost interest. I have to be careful what I watch at night time or I have the freakiest realistic dreams. Marla, I too hope that SGU doesn't get too dark. I'm used to the "obvious sets" SG series used to have...lol...so it didn't frighten me too much. Richard Dean Anderson SO made that show, didn't he? I just loved it when he and Daniel would have their special moments...they had chemistry that cracked me up. Especially the scene when Daniel was changed into an ori...and Richard Dean Anderson goes..."Not a good look for you." LOL! That entire scene was a hoot.

Aw, Rob...so sorry BSG is over dude. I feel your pain. Hubby and I were torn when Star Trek series was over. And then the new beginning didn't last either...ugh, we had an awful case of the bummers. I'll be sure to check out the spinoff and movie. That sounds interesting.

Oh Amanda... I hear ya girlfriend...Quantum Leap was awesome! We never missed a show here! Just loved Ziggy! Buck Rogers was so cool too...great show!

jfal...the mars trilogy is awesome! How do you like it?

Saysusie...I read this about new viewers to SGU...

Don't stress if you haven't actually seen the first two Stargates. Wright says, "It is quite a different feel [to the past]. It will reintroduce what a stargate is. It will give you a whole new sense of what Stargate is in an introductory sense that is quite clever, but it will very much reward the SG1 and Atlantis viewer." In the past, Stargate has been known as a very serialized show, but the producers have tweaked their style to bring in new viewers. http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/watch_with_kristin/b135011_comic-con_stargate_universe_new.html

rob
10-06-2009, 11:48 AM
Hi SciFi Fans,
I enjoyed Stargate Universe, too. It is a bit like Voyager - the mission is to get home. I'm just hoping that it doesn't get too dark. I stopped watching Battlestar G. because it just got too relentlessly dark. That's why I love the Star Trek series - they all seem to have hope for the future.

Oh come on, just because after 4 years they finally find that Earth is a nuclear wasteland, and half the crew commits suicide while the other half is executed for mutiny and treason, doesn't mean it's dark! (Did I mention that the President dies, Cally gets airlocked, Gaeta loses a leg and Tigh loses an eye?):laugh:

magistramarla
10-06-2009, 01:16 PM
Yes Rob,
Those are exactly the kinds of things that made me stop watching it. Call me the eternal optimist, but I like sci-fi that gives me hope for the future rather than depressing me. That's why Star Trek is so much fun - you would like to live in that world. I really loved the original BSG, with all of its campiness. I felt very let-down when the new one came out and was such a turn-around from the old show. I had been hoping for another fun romp through the universe.
I've been sucked into Fast Forward, but I'm wondering whether it will turn out to be too dark for my liking, too. Jeff likes Heroes, but I have to go to another room to read while he watches it. I like the two Japanese guys, but the rest of them have just gotten too violent and evil for me to stand watching. That show is just a bit like X-Men, but I much prefer X-Men. Sanctuary is also very cool, but seems to be heading to the dark side, too.
I wish that the writers would realize that there are some of us sci-fi fans who would like shows that make us think, but not horrify and depress us.
Just my two cents worth!
Marla

rob
10-06-2009, 04:15 PM
Yes Rob,
Those are exactly the kinds of things that made me stop watching it. Call me the eternal optimist, but I like sci-fi that gives me hope for the future rather than depressing me. That's why Star Trek is so much fun - you would like to live in that world. I really loved the original BSG, with all of its campiness. I felt very let-down when the new one came out and was such a turn-around from the old show. I had been hoping for another fun romp through the universe.
I've been sucked into Fast Forward, but I'm wondering whether it will turn out to be too dark for my liking, too. Jeff likes Heroes, but I have to go to another room to read while he watches it. I like the two Japanese guys, but the rest of them have just gotten too violent and evil for me to stand watching. That show is just a bit like X-Men, but I much prefer X-Men. Sanctuary is also very cool, but seems to be heading to the dark side, too.
I wish that the writers would realize that there are some of us sci-fi fans who would like shows that make us think, but not horrify and depress us.
Just my two cents worth!
Marla

Oh believe me, I know what you mean. As much as I love the new BSG, I have to be in a certain mood to watch my DVD's of it as it's so serious and rather brutal to watch.

You will be happy to know that the Battlestar Galactica theatrical movie that is being made is a direct re-make of the original movie that was in theaters in 1978, which was then shown on tv as the pilot for the original series. It's being produced by Glen Larson who is the creator of the original series. I saw an interview with him and he was saying that it will be nothing like the new series, meaning it will have alot of that campy humor and be the lighthearted and fun show it used to be. I've read that some of the cast from the original series will be in it, but not in the same roles. Rumor is Richard Hatch is in it, but he plays Lorne Green's Commander Adama.

One of my favorite fun, and funny sci-fi flicks is Star Trek 4 The Voyage Home. Spock is absolutely hilarious when he tries to mimic the "20th Century Colorful Metaphores". And Chekov asking where he can find the "Nookleear Wessels" is hilarious. Did you like the new Trek movie from this last summer? I've always loved the bright, hopeful and positive future that Gene Roddenberry created with Star Trek. Humans and the planet Earth survive a nuclear war, and are almost on their way out. Then man discovers how to travel faster than light, and after we make first contact with an alien race everything on Earth changes. Poverty, disease, famine, are all gone, and humanities driving force becomes the quest for knowledge rather than the pursuit of material wealth. Awesome stuff.

rob
10-06-2009, 04:31 PM
Marla,

As a Trek Fan, I think you'll like this-

http://forum.wehavelupus.com/album.php?albumid=8&pictureid=73

It's a 36" long Enterprise model I built a few years ago. It's the Enterprise
as seen in The Wrath of Khan. I'm also building a new Enterprise that's a model
of the ship from the new movie, but it's got a long way to go still. It's a good
winter project.

Rob

magistramarla
10-06-2009, 09:16 PM
Wow, Rob
That model is gorgeous. It must have taken an incredible amount of painstaking work.
Yes, I love to laugh at The Voyage Home, too. Of course, we own all of the Star Trek movies. We also own all of the books, from every series, including some that have never made it to TV. Some authors are better than others, but the books are always a good, relaxing read.
My Mother's Day present was to see the newest Star Trek movie at the IMAX, and I loved it. It sounds as though I will also love the new BSG movie, too. A fun romp through the universe, and some fun reminders of the old series - goody.
There was one summer that I spent reading all of Jeff's books by Isaac Asimov. I truly enjoyed the Foundation series. We are also great fans of Robert A. Heinlein and own all of his books. I Groked Stranger in a Strange Land, and loved Time Enough for Love. I also enjoyed reading much of Allen Dean Foster. His Pip and Flinx series was fun.
As I said, I tend to like sci-fi that has a positive outlook, but is still intelligent writing that makes one stop and think. The best way to comment on today's issues is to place those issues into the future, and speculate on how the future might deal with those issues.
Marla

lucky7
10-07-2009, 01:41 PM
I know i told you before Rob BUT, OMG~ you are AWESOME with your models! Jake just thinks you are the BEST too!!! He LOVES to build things as well! Especially ANYTHING that has to do with Star Trek, Star Wars ............ GOOD FOR YOU ROB! You have a GREAT hobby and it SHOWS in the WORK that you do!!!!!:yes:

Saysusie
10-08-2009, 12:47 PM
Isn't he? I often visit his toy room album and show it to my family and friends. They are amazed at his talent and the details of his models!

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

jfal
10-09-2009, 02:08 PM
For those who do not know of the Mars trilogy...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_trilogy

Actually this could make a really good TV series. Is anybody here from the Sci-Fi Channel?

Saysusie
10-10-2009, 09:22 PM
I have not read the "Mars" trilogy, but my brother has and, through him, I feel like I've read them.
When you ask if anyone here is from the SciFi channel, do you mean does anyone here watch and/or have the SciFi channel? If so, I am an ardent SciFi channel fan. However, it is now the SyFy channel..I'll have to do some research to find out why they changed it ...hmmmm:confused:

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

Saysusie
10-10-2009, 09:29 PM
Rob;
Like you, Star Trek 4, voyage home is my ALLTIME favorite Star Trek movie, primarily because of Spock. If I remember correctly, he directed that movie didn't he?
He (Leonard Nimow) is now appearing in "Fringe" which, for X-File alumni, is a very interesting show so far. Once X-Files was over, there was nothing comparable for a long time. I think that "Fringe" is making an effort to fulfill the itch that we were having for that type of show.

Abbasgirl;
Thank you for that information. So far, I've been able to follow SGU because it does re-explain everything. I may have to add it to my TiVo list!

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

magistramarla
10-11-2009, 09:07 PM
Saysusie,
I'm glad that you're enjoying SGU. If you ever get the chance to see the first season of SG1 on DVD, you just might get hooked. The characters and their relationships were great, and Richard Dean Anderson was sexy!
Marla

lucky7
10-16-2009, 09:54 AM
You all are to DANG CUTE!!!!!!! :yes: I just wanna SQUEEZE you ALL!!!! GENTLY of course!!!!!!!!:cute:

Saysusie
10-19-2009, 12:32 PM
Ooooooh...and I sooo love being squeezed! Thank You!

Magistramarla;
I may take a gander at the 1st season. I think I unfairly misjudged the series because I was such a fan of the movie. So, I'll have to be open minded.

So who, besides me, wants to jump through the screen and throttle Dr. Nicholas Rush??? I loved the scene where they were on the sandy planet and he was doing his usual belittling of Matthew Scott and Ronald Greer kicked him in his back and told him to shut up and get up. I applauded!! He is even more unlikable than Gaius Baltar of BSG!!
Apparently, I am all into this series :cute:

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

magistramarla
10-19-2009, 04:09 PM
SaySusie,
Jeff and I are getting into it, too. Our theory is that he is supposed to be the equivalent of Baltar or Rodney McKay from SG Atlantis. He is the annoying, troubled genius like Baltar, and he's a lot less lovable than Rodney. We're waiting to see how this guy's personality and relationships work out.
Are you watching Fast Forward, too? I've really been sucked into the mystery on that one!
Sanctuary has been getting pretty intense, too!
What would we do without Scifi??
Marla