PDA

View Full Version : Lupus and heavy metals?

ssingh
09-28-2009, 11:44 AM
Anyone has done inquiry in to lupus and exposure to heavy metals...?

rob
09-28-2009, 02:48 PM
Hi Ssingh,

I've done quite a bit of reading on the subject. I spent many years handling heavy metals including Lead, Uranium-238 (depleted uranium), as well as Mercury. And, I have two autoimmune disorders. I have not found very many reliable sources of info about heavy metal exposure and a possible link to autoimmune disorders. Many reports and "studies" are terribly biased to serve the agenda of different organizations and movements. An example being activist groups who want to outlaw the use of Depleted Uranium on the grounds that it's health threat comes from it's radioactivity, when in fact it has less inherent radioactivity than the normal background radiation we get every day from natural souces in our environment. D.U.'s toxicity comes from the fact that it's a heavy metal. I find the same problems with many the other anti-whatever movements. Studies are based on emotion rather than fact, and they end up clouding and confusing the facts.

My personal opinion, is that since the potential for heavy metal poisoning from various elements and compounds is well documented fact, it is very possible that autoimmune disorders could be related to this. The trouble is finding enough comprehensive and unbiased scientific studies to support the theory, and come to a reasonable conclusion. So, I keep reading, and making notes in hopes of one day finding some answers.

Rob

ssingh
09-28-2009, 06:17 PM
Hi Rob
here is little bit info:
hxxp://74.125.155.132/search?q=cache:7F2u5HCLjUAJ:www.marietta.edu/~biol/capstone/2004_files/chorey.pdf+lupus+and+heavy+metals&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

change hxxp: to http

I worked in lead (solder) envoirment for about 8 years before I got sick. Lead can induce lupus if you have the lucky gene. I went to car dealer yesterday. he had Lime. He said anyone with lupus must be tested for heavy metals. if one the metal is high in the blood , the lupus kind of stay out of control even being on medications.
On the other note
Death of Lucy from Lupus is kind of reality check for all of us..

DrinkofWtr
09-28-2009, 08:13 PM
My Dad has lupus and he worked with heavy metals for years. Whether there is a connection between heavy metals and lupus, I don't know. I have lupus too. There is a hereditary predisposition for it though.

Oluwa
09-29-2009, 06:24 AM
When I was in the US Navy I fabricated various metals..cutting, welded, brazing, stick... on anti-nuclear submarines for two years before converting to air traffic controller. That is when I started to experience bouts of extreme fatigue...maybe a correlation...

I also worked with radiation and asbestos...

L,
O.

ssingh
09-29-2009, 11:30 AM
I called my doctor and she ordered 24 urine test for heavy metals, lets see.....

lucky7
09-29-2009, 04:27 PM
Good Luck and let us know!!!!!! XXXXXXXXXXXXXX