PDA

View Full Version : Lupus Walk!!!!!!

brandichi
09-27-2009, 04:49 AM
Yesterday I did the Lupus Alliance walk, and it was even better than I expected!!!!! I have never done any kind of charity walk before, and my biggest fear was not being able to finish it. It was only two miles, but there are times I can't even walk a half mile. But I did it!!! I did it!! I did it!!!! :)

The weather was PERFECT for me, and the rest of us lupies. Cool, cloudy, a bit misty, which was perfect by the water. A friend of mine came to walk with me, and that was really special because we used to be very close friends until I was diagnosed, then when she wasn't there for me at all, I pretty much stayed away from her. I think now she was trying to make up for it, but whatever her motivation, we had a great time talking together as we walked, and I think we're on the way to reparing our friendship. My mom went too, and I was so glad. She didn't walk, but she was there to support me.

There were about 175 walkers, and together I think we raised about $40,000!! I ended up raising $300, but I know I'll raise more when I start much earlier next year.

One VERY unexpected part of the day was after the walk, I was waiting in line for lunch and one of my friends who works in the office of the organization came up to me and asked if I would speak!!! She was supposed to, but she's recovering from laryngitis and didn't want to do any more talking than she had to. She wanted me to talk about why I was doing the walk and what it meant to me. I'm still not sure why she asked me out of all the walkers there, but she must have read my facebook page. So I said yes, and I had no time to prepare, because in about 5 minutes, they came to get me. I was still in the lunch line! I was kind of nervous, but not too much, because it was a comfortable group of people I didn't know, if that makes any sense at all. My mom was frustrated though because I had given my camera and things to my friend to hold and Mom didn't know that; she wanted to take a picture of me while I was up there. Someone took a picture though, so I'm sure I'll still be able to get it for my mom. (And geez, I didn't even have a chance to brush my hair or put on lipstick, so maybe it's just as well...!)

I had a chance to spend a few minutes chatting with other people I know there, especially to the social worker from the lupus office who is an absolute angel. I talked a little about her when I was up there speaking, and she told me that what I said made her feel great. She has no idea just how special she is and how much she has helped everyone.

Next year I'm starting earlier and will be way more prepared for everything. And next year, I think I'm going to have my face painted. Lots of people had butterflies on their faces and it looked really cool. And next year I'll get there early and buy raffle tickets too. Can't wait until the last Saturday in September 2010!!!

Now if I can just figure out how to add pics in a post, I'll add some...

brandichi
09-27-2009, 05:02 AM
I think I figured out how to do this! This is the beginning of the walk. I'm in there somewhere...

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL238/1144968/22560171/374920094.jpg

I really don't like this picture of me, but this is me at the beginning of the walk.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL238/1144968/22560171/374920115.jpg

After the walk - I'm in the middle with my friends from the Lupus Alliance.
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL238/1144968/22560171/374920111.jpg

And one more after the walk.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL238/1144968/22560171/374920107.jpg

MsHutch
09-27-2009, 05:18 AM
Congratulations on completing the walk and on stepping up to help with the speech!!! It sounds like you had a great day and I for one am thankful for people like you for participating in these events. I'm not sure if they have these types of walks in our area, but I'd like to find out and maybe try this myself.

Again, thank you!!!

Colleen

Angel Oliver
09-27-2009, 06:08 AM
Cheryl,

WELL DONE!!! Wow im so glad the weather was just right and wow you did a speech as well. What a fab amount of money you raised.Oh im so proud you managed it and most of all you enjoyed yourself too. Oh you look so pretty in the photos. I do like your friends Butterfly painted face also.
Hope you have a lovely rest today my friend and cuddle up with Brandi. Well done!!!!

Love n gentle hugs
Amanda.xxxxxxx

brandichi
09-28-2009, 09:14 AM
Thanks, Colleen and Amanda, for the support and for the compliments. :cute: Colleen, I hope there is a lupus organization in your area, because doing this walk is one of the best things I've ever done.

I didn't get a whole lot of rest - yesterday I went to church, then had a meeting for a new program I'm doing there, then went grocery shopping. Made dinner, had to do work on the computer for another group I'm in charge of...finally went to bed at 10:30, which is much too late considering I get up at 5:15 for work. So of course, I ended up with a cold. Ugh!!! Nothing major, just an annoying head cold and my nose looks like Rudolph the red-nosed reindeer! My students were happy to point out how awful I look today. :wacko: I am looking forward to going to bed super early tonight and I know Brandi will love that! :)

lucky7
09-28-2009, 12:17 PM
YIPPEEE for Cheryl!!!!!! GOOD FOR YOU!!!!! WOO HOO!! And by the way HOW FRIGIN CUTE ARE YOU!!!!!!!:yes: