PDA

View Full Version : Lupus and early menopause?

brandichi
09-25-2009, 06:16 PM
Do any of you know if there is a connection between lupus and going through early menopause/perimenopause?

I'm only 41, and in May I had two periods about 20 days apart. I thought it was weird, but it had only happened once. Well, this month it happened again. Along with killer PMS that I attributed to bad eating habits (chocolate and caffeine, which are huge triggers for me). But I had more cramps than usual, and I only get cramps twice a year, and my breasts were extremely sore, and I never get that. Then Tuesday night I had what felt like I've heard a hot flash is like. I was doing a presentation, of all times, and my face started sweating. Dripping. Not a ton, but enough to make me very uncomfortable.

I looked a bit online, and saw that some of the symptoms I've been having could be perimenopause. Yikes!!! My mom was 50 when she went through menopause, so I think I'm still young. Or am I???

ricketyrose
09-26-2009, 08:00 AM
I believe I have run across article that talked about this. just google early menopause and lupus something will probably come up. dont lupus symptoms subside after menopause. does that mean early menopause is a good thing?

lucky7
09-28-2009, 12:50 PM
Im going through the same thing Cheryl!:wacko: Its also in my genes to hit it early! UGH MY mom and maternal grandmother BOTH went through menopause in their late thirties! Gee, THANKS for THAT Mom!:skeptical: Check into when your mother and/or grandmothers went through it as well. I did hear too though that lupus CAN trigger it.

AHHHHHHH,isnt being a woman just grand! :hissyfit: LOL

mountaindreamer
09-28-2009, 07:20 PM
i went through early menapause when i was 30...i did not have a lupus diagnosis at the time, but i had many symptoms. My family dr. that treated me during those years thinks that i had lupus at the time, just no diagnosis. Don't know if there is a relationship, but it sure happened to me . my mom and grandmother went through menapause at normal age, but neither of them had any auto immune disease symptoms.

luvpinkpeeps
09-28-2009, 11:49 PM
I have often wondered this also, i am 42 and have symptoms... just one more thing for *The List*

lucky7
09-29-2009, 04:03 PM
Oh how that LIST grows huh!!!!! WHEW, its never ending! BUT,WE HAVE EACH OTHER TO HAVE OUR LISTS GROW TOGETHER!!! :headbang:

leaann
10-02-2009, 04:48 AM
I know how you feel... I have been going through hot flashed for about 2 years now... It has been rought for me I started when I was about 38... I thought I was just just crazy... When it first started I was at work and it got so bad I left and went stright to the dr office...

My periods seem to have a mind of there own lately I just wish they would completely go away it would be one less thing I would have to worry about these days...

I don't know if there is a connection with the lupus.... I am still waiting on my dignoses at this point....

How the issue gets better...

take care

Saysusie
10-05-2009, 09:31 PM
Early menopause occurs most often in women with Lupus who are 30 to 40 years of age. It may occur in women younger than that with severe underlying causes. It very important that if you are suffering the signs of early menopause that you consult a doctor to rule out anything else that may be happening or a consequence of other health conditions. This is especially important if you have lupus and are experiencing signs of early menopause.

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

lucky7
10-07-2009, 01:27 PM
THANK YOU Saysusie!!! Yeha, i go to my Gyno in a few months so im going ot let her know! I let my old one know a while back and she said "Oh Jeannette, youre TOO YOUNG!". Screw you B****! Excuse my french, im just sick of drs saying the same S*** about my symptoms! :skeptical: Ill show her just how young i am with my young FOOT shoved where the sun doesnt shine! LOL:laugh:

Saysusie
10-08-2009, 01:09 PM
You Go Girl....don't take no stuff from any of them and put them on notice that you ARE NOT a fool, nor are you stupid!! Often, we have to educate our doctors and put them on notice that they must deal with us in a mutually respectful way!

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

lucky7
10-16-2009, 10:03 AM
WOO HOO! Well said Saysusie!!!! Kudos to THAT!!!!!:thumbs-up:

Saysusie
10-19-2009, 12:05 PM
:cute: awww thanks

tiggerlishus - Heidi
10-19-2009, 04:24 PM
ok could people let me know what the systoms of early menopause is as i have been having lots of problems with monthly's since june i have one 4 day long period that wasn't even worth a cough for!! and again i have just started one thhat well lets just say ain't like it normally is!! they did think for a while i could be pregant but thats now been ruled out!! and i do have pco as well but i don't things just don't feel right!! its seems like mega early as i turned 30 last month so was wondering if you guys could help me??????

lucky7
10-20-2009, 03:43 PM
HI HEIDI!!!! Call your Gyno hun!!!! THATS your best bet!:yes: I have an appt coming up again soon and i have to mention it again to her. STRESS your symptoms to her. It doesnt matter that you just turned 30. Lupus can kick in EARLY MENOPAUSE as well. WE can also have Perimenopause for up to 10 yrs BEFORE Menopause hits. Our bodies can get all out of wack, so ask for some tests to be done to check out hormone levels, thyroid problems~~~~~~

YOU MATTER SO OPEN UP TO YOUR DR ABOUT ALL OF YOUR SYMPTOMS!!!:cute:

tiggerlishus - Heidi
10-20-2009, 03:56 PM
thanks jeannette unfortunately can't go straight to a gyn over here have to go via gp or as i think its called in states primary doctor and then they reffer you if they think it warrents it but don't worry i not got giving up he'll get sick of seeing me eventually lol!! x

lucky7
10-20-2009, 04:01 PM
OMG Heidi, WOW, Arent Women over there supposed to get a yearly Gyno exam? I would just make up some bulls~~~ or make things sound WORSE than they are to get into one. :yes: OR, go to your GP and let him/her know the concerns and they too can order some tests as well. Get a printout from the computer about SPECIFICS on this topic and WHAT YOU are EXPERIENCING. GO IN THERE GUNS LOADED HUN!!!!! :AR15firing: DONT ignore what your bdy is doing cuz YOU CAN get HELP for it! GOOD LUCK!!:cute:

tiggerlishus - Heidi
10-20-2009, 04:20 PM
no don't get examnation years do get what they called smears think its every 3 or 5 years can't remember thankfuly get letter throu to remind you but thats with the nurse at gp not with gyno!! but don't worry i still got some usa left in me i take no poo to put it politely!!! lol just trying to get as main facts possible before i go in all guns as you put it!! lol and will keppy you up dated! thanks alot xxxx

kim,l
10-20-2009, 04:39 PM
hi everyone i have been having trouble with my monthly cycle for about six months now one month i get it then i can go 2 months without it then i have a heavy cycle then my last one just a few days ago was very light have been having night sweats, mood swings, breast been very sore, my doctor and rheumi both keep on telling me that it is most likely just the prednisone and plaquenil they can interfere with your cycle i also have heart palpitations but i am going to request to see gynocologist because my mother went through early menopause she was in her thirties she has lupus to but only discovered this in the last few years so it could be the lupus or just early menopause. either way i want to know its important we know every change in our bodies. kim l