PDA

View Full Version : lupus and flu shots

mountaindreamer
09-24-2009, 01:35 PM
i thought i would start a thread to compare what our different drs. advise about flu shots. my dr. says: lupus patients are advised to get flu shots. However, patients on chemo med like methotrexate should only get "dead virus" shots. She said that the normal flu shot is dead virus and is ok. But, she is not sure if the swine flu shot is "dead virus" or Live virus". she said to be sure and ask the shot administrator to ensure that it is not the "live virus". Again, this is if you are on a chemo drug. My position----i am NOT getting a flu shot at all.

jfal
09-24-2009, 03:51 PM
The whole swine flu thing has been blown way out of proportion. If you get swine flu and you treat it on time it is NOT deadly, just like regular flu...

KATROACH1972
09-24-2009, 04:55 PM
I am on Methtextrate shots, every week. My youngest daughter had flu 5 days! I was trying to care for her, and keep myself and other 3 kids clear of it. I asked today and was told to get both flu shots! I am honestly more scared of the shots and getting a flu from that! haha but.. I guess ill call tomorrow about getting them anyways. I also called HEB pharmacist and he said do not get live virus vaccines of any med while on methetextrate, and since i am on long term steroids too. Good luck every1 staying well! and by the way my 5 yr old is better!! thank GOD!!! Hugs kathy:embarrassed:

gina
09-25-2009, 04:56 AM
My doctor had me get the flu shot, but said if they did come out with swine shot wouldn't recommend it for me to new of shot wants to see what happens to people who get it.

porchy
09-26-2009, 12:30 PM
I plan to get the regular flu shot just like always, but NOT the swine flu shot. Too new. It worries me. It hasn't been around long enough to know if it has any problems, short-term or long-term. I work at home all week, so I'm not exposed to the public as much as some people. Hopefully I can stay well. Everybody wash your hands!!!

Tamy
09-28-2009, 06:36 AM
Hi Pyllis
I went to my local G.P to ask about the flu shot (for swine flu), and he informed me that it is not recommended for children under 10 years of age, as they do not know how there bodies will react. There fore, he advised me that it is probably better not to get the shot. It is a new vaccine, so we don't really know as yet, what type of future side effects it may have. I suppose every doctor will have their own personal views, but for the moment, I have decided not to get the shot. Here in Australia, our flu season is over, it is spring here right now. Depending on how bad the flu gets next winter, well, I'll worry about that when I get there.
Take care, Tammy

rob
09-28-2009, 07:00 AM
I've never had a flu shot, and I never will. The way I see it, I have enough weird crap floating around inside of me, I don't want to add more. It probably sounds kind of simplistic, but it's how I feel. Besides, I get poked with enough needles already.

jcg196
09-30-2009, 05:23 PM
My Rhuematologist said not too because they are finding that the virus ends up in the brain later causing alzheimer's. So I am staying away from all of that....I am taking homepathic medicine instead.