PDA

View Full Version : Sight and perception

twinniesplus1
08-14-2005, 08:20 PM
I've noticed my balance is often off and my perception as to distance is also changing. Does anyone have any idea why? My hubby said maybe side effect from meds. Its a little scary and I'll ask my rheumy about it next week. I like to be prepared when I go in. Lots of questions...make him earn his money, besides he needs to buy a new car! He's a sweetie I promise! Anyone....Advice.........PLEASE?

Thanks!
Sheri
BTW: This labor day will be my 16th annivery of winning this LUPUS battle! I have 3 little ones and refuse to give in to those horrible odds they keep giving us!! Thinking of how to celebrate!

val
08-15-2005, 03:09 PM
It's strange I posted a similar post last night. I am walking like a crab too the left side and I recently fell in the bedroom for no reason. I am very clumsy, always knocking myself. I stubb my toes and keep splitting toe nails.
I have started using a stick when going out as it keeps me straight. I find it a great help.
Don't know the answer why my brain scan shows nothing abnormal.
Love Val

twinniesplus1
08-15-2005, 08:23 PM
Strange... I've talked to my doc about this and he's never mentioned a scan, maybe I'll ask next week. I'm about to finish a 24 hr sample and tomorrow go for blood tests. My back is hurting but I am almost certain it isn't my kidneys. So we purchased a new mattress looking for a quick fix (not too quick, though, it won't be delivered until the end of the week at the earliest). Anyway, I don't believe my symptoms are as bad as yours, my biggest falling feeling comes from steps and floor color changes. I grab for something to balance and say a quick prayer as I take the step. Sometimes no one even notices! Please let me know how things go for you, I may need to learn more about what I'm experiencing and it helps knowing someone has made it through what you're doing.

Peace,
Sheri

val
08-16-2005, 01:54 AM
Hi Sheri,
My symptoms vary and I am sure your problems are just as much a problem as me. Its just reasurring(if thats the right word) to know others suffer similar problems. I think thats the advantage of talking to fellow sufferers. Doctors look for a problem and if its not obvious to them then I feel we are almost disbelieved but why would we tell them we were having problems if we weren't, we are hardly short of symptoms are we.
I just like to understand my body--I suppose thats 33 years of Nursing.
I will keep you informed and likewise I would like to know how you are getting on.
Love Val

Mitch
08-20-2005, 07:09 PM
I, too, am having a "balance" problem. In fact, I nearly fell out the door the other day! I tend to fall into walls when I walk, and I especially can't walk too slow (I guess like a 2 wheeler, so long as it's moving pretty quick, it doesn't topple over !) I have started to mention my lupus to some of my neighbors. I enjoy puttering around outside (weeding, etc.)and I'm afraid if they see how I stagger, they're going to think I'm always drinking! I find it annoying mostly, sometimes a little embarrassing. I don't know what the reason is either. I've always had sinus problems and pretty much assumed it was that, but it has definitely gotten worse.

hatlady
08-21-2005, 02:04 PM
I've had balance problems from time to time as well. Nothing too bad, but I always have to take a deep breath and hold on to the rail if I'm going down stairs (that seems worse than going up!)

Years ago I had labrynthitis - :shock: ZOWEE :shock: - THAT was DIZZY! I was on meclizine (sp?) - Rx name Antivert - for a while, it helped a lot.

I blame this dizziness - (which for me is FAR less an issue than you three seem to had) - on the plaquenil, as I think I read it is a possible side effect. I would mention it to my doc, though, if I were you, it could be something liike labrynthitis or Meiniers (another one I can't spell!) or other treatable condition.

Hugs to all of you!

andyman
08-21-2005, 02:42 PM
I have had a problem with balance from time to time as well. However, I've not been able to relate it to anything specific. I could guess at a few things that contribute it but it would only be a guess. Mine comes and goes and I just take it a bit easy when it's kicking in. I find I'm okay when I'm sitting down, it's only when I get up to walk somewhere when it is kicking in. Otherwise, I just pretend I was planning on walking toward that wall.

I hope it gets better for you.