PDA

View Full Version : methotrexate and flu shot

mountaindreamer
09-23-2009, 01:13 PM
i am interested in everyone's opinions about taking the flu shot. I am concerned that the flu-like symptoms of the shot will compromise my immune system, and i am afraid that i will get sicker. i would appreciate all opinions.

iseedeadmonkeys
09-23-2009, 01:57 PM
Ive not had it yet mountain

I decided against it i may go for it later on b4 nov but not right now, as you kno im trying to get over the flu, it will take alot more than that to knock me down,

I hope you make the right decision

P&L
ISDM
xx

kim,l
09-23-2009, 04:17 PM
phyllis i had the flu shot 4months ago and have been on mexotrexate for 5 weeks they reccomend you get it but i got very sick not long after with flu and it knocked me about alot i got chest infection bad and sent me into lupus flare just check with your rheumi and gp ask questions after all this is your health not there,s and then way the pros and cons but i do not regret getting flu shot because if i didnot have it i could have been worse do whats best for you my friend good luck be well hugs kim l

SandyR
09-23-2009, 06:16 PM
Hi Phyllis!

I am not on methotrexate or any other meds right now, but I have decided against the flu shot. I feel that since I have never had the flu, it would be very foolish for me to introduce that illness to my system since I currently seem to have a natural immunity against it. I don't like taking medications if I don't really need to so this was a very easy decision for me.

Sandy

mountaindreamer
09-24-2009, 09:44 AM
thanks ladies,i am waiting for a return call from my rheumy about this....i work from my home, and am not overly exposed to flu germs, so i am leaning toward NO shot....i worry about "introducing" the flu to my body.

Oluwa
09-24-2009, 04:09 PM
Tidbit...

http://www.lupus.org/webmodules/webarticlesnet/templates/new_researchupdates.aspx?a=331&z=33&page=5

L.,
O

mountaindreamer
09-24-2009, 06:56 PM
thanks oluwa....that was very valuable information....i am truly scared of anything that might make me flare...the pain just gets to me and pisses me off...i am getting really tired of it all.