PDA

View Full Version : Kidney Stones?!?!?

Spanglishqueen
09-11-2009, 04:59 PM
Okay so I know with the auto-stuff to expect a lot of problems. I have sleep apnea, IBS, Reflux, etc... So I am basically used to pain and discomfort and consider myself to have a high tolerance for pain. So I took this new stomach pain as far as I could go and went to DOC who said its an infection and could be kidney stones. WHAT?!?!:wideeyed: All these illnesses are driving me insane:wacko: So where did this come from? From what I'm reading it could be auto-immune related. Anyone here have kidney issues or stones?

Saysusie
09-12-2009, 07:38 PM
I have never had kidney stones, but here is some information to help you better understand them:
Lupus affects the kidneys by causing deposits of antibodies in the kidneys, which provoke an inflammatory response. This injures the kidney and causes blood and protein to appear in the urine, and sometime kidney failure. Generally it does not cause kidney infections or trouble getting the urine out. Some of the medications used to treat lupus could suppress your immune system and make infections more likely. While Lupus is a risk factor for some kidney diseases, it is not a risk factor for developing kidney stones. The following are some risk factors for developing kidney stones:
* Insufficient fluid intake, especially water
* Personal history of kidney stones
* Family history of kidney stones
* Between the ages of 20 and 60
* High protein, low fiber diet
* Very sedentary lifestyle
* Recurring urinary tract infections

Kidney stones may form when the normal balance of water, salts, minerals, and other substances found in urine changes. How this balance changes determines the type of kidney stone you have. Most kidney stones are calcium-type-they form when the calcium levels in your urine change.

Many medical conditions can affect the normal balance and cause stones to form. People who have inflammatory bowel disease or who have had surgery on their intestines may not absorb fat from their intestines in a normal way. This changes the way the intestines process calcium and other minerals, and it may lead to kidney stones. IBS is not the same as Inflammatory bowel disease. Also, certain diuretics which are commonly called water pills or calcium-based antacids may increase the risk of forming kidney stones by increasing the amount of calcium in the urine.

A less common type of stone is caused by infection in the urinary tract. This type of stone is called a struvite or infection stone. A bit less common is the uric acid stone. Cystine stones are rare. Urolithiasis is the medical term used to describe stones occurring in the urinary tract. Other frequently used terms are urinary tract stone disease and nephrolithiasis. Doctors also use terms that describe the location of the stone in the urinary tract. For example, a ureteral stone (or ureterolithiasis) is a kidney stone found in the ureter.

More commonly, kidney stones can run in families, as they often occur in family members over several generations.

I hope that this has been helpful to you.

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

Spanglishqueen
09-13-2009, 08:42 AM
Thank you for all your advice Say. It really helped. The doc called today and said its not a urinary tract infection but they don't know why the puss is in the urine. I have a follow up tomorrow with Doc hope to get answers soon. Nausea and pain are awful and vicodin doesn't make a dent :no:

mountaindreamer
09-13-2009, 06:32 PM
hi brenda,so glad you are going to dr. again tomorrow....i hope he can find you some relief....i hope you don't have long before this pain is gone.you are so strong, and you are always making others feel better....i hope you can relax and let us help you this time.

Spanglishqueen
09-14-2009, 04:52 PM
Well they did the MRI and it is Kidney Stones one supposedly passed although I never felt it pass and I'm still in pain and the other is suppossed to pass. Well they took me off vicodin and put me on prednisone. I feel better now. Thanks all!

BonusMom
09-14-2009, 06:02 PM
Hi B

So sorry that you have kidney stones. I've never had one, but understand they're very painful (understatement). Why did they take you off of Vicodin and put you on Prednisone instead?

I'm glad that you passed one of the stones and hope the next one is passed without too much pain and trouble.

Spanglishqueen
09-15-2009, 08:58 AM
Yeah I thought I posted that. What I meant to say was percocet :tongue2: Sorry brain fog and typing while on percocet can make you do that :laugh: Percocet is a better pain killer than vicodin.

jfal
09-15-2009, 03:25 PM
While kidney stones do indeed suck (I have had 4 (or 5) attacks), I would trade another 10-100 kidney stones for the chance to get rid of the chronic pain I now suffer daily.

BTW, soda pop is GREAT for forming kidney stones.

Jerzi
10-06-2009, 06:07 PM
Ick, kidney stones are evil, evil things. I had two a few weeks ago, not fun stuff. I hope your next one passes with minimal pain and that you're feeling better soon. :hug:

adl011
10-06-2009, 08:07 PM
I get kidney stones about once a month or once every other month. My dr said it has to do with how the lupus affects our kidneys. It causes them to pull calcium from other places in our body and for stones. It is NOT fun at all. I hope you start feeling better soon!