PDA

View Full Version : MTX Users...Methotrexate

Oluwa
09-09-2009, 08:54 AM
How much MTX are you using?

What are your side dishes (side effects)?

What symptoms have they helped...lightened, disappeared all together, or haven't?

I have a DRs appointment on the 14,Monday and I am considering switching from Imuran to MTX..

Thank you for all the info...hugs.
Love,
Oluwa

mountaindreamer
09-09-2009, 05:04 PM
hi oluwa,

i take a shot once a week. My script says 25 mg/ml. I believe that the 25 mg is the pill dosage....the liquid dosage is 1mm.

side effects (i am not as creative as you, so i can't think of dishes): the day after i can have headaches, stomach cramps, fatigue, flu - like aches. Sometimes they are really bad, but the longer i am on the mtx, the less the side effects. On the following morning, i wake up, and i feel absolutely great and this can last 3 to 5 days.

i just never plan anything for the day after my shot....so, on the days that the effects are less, i actually enjoy a nice day of doing nothing and no one bothers me....tuesday is MY day.

Oluwa
09-10-2009, 10:39 AM
Absolutely great as in ya can run, fly, jump....?

What else do you take Phyllis....supplements or the like...?

Imuran has left me like a cold turd...stiff, hard and dried out..I even look painful.

Does MTX help with fatigue? The yawns? The joint pain? Swelling at the joints? Rashes?

I wanna live.........

Love,
Oluwa

sugarfoot52
09-10-2009, 01:59 PM
I take 10mg every Sat. evening with food. For 3 months, I would just feel icky, not really bad, just not good. However the last 3 Sundays, I've had killer migraines, the liquids and food just don't stay down. Can't even keep my other meds down. If I take an imitrex with the meth., it cuts the migraine in half, and I can keep water down. Just came from the doctor, he increased the imitrex dose to 50 mg and told me to cut the meth. dose in half. The really weird thing is, I've been having trouble with my left hip joint, anyway that side is the worse of the 2 joints, but since the reaction to the meth. has become so nasty my hip joint has improved exponentially. It just doesn't hurt to get up as much and I only have a little discomfort when I walk. He is running blood tests to see what is going on, the differance in my hip is so great that I don't want to give up the meth. just want to get through that 1 day.

mountaindreamer
09-10-2009, 02:21 PM
hi oluwa,

MTX dosage: 1mm (liquid form) is the equivalent of 25 mg (pill form)...this is the max (according to my rheumy) that a person can take.

i also take plaquenil....when mtx first worked so well for me, my dr. reduced my plaquenil to 200 mg....last week we raised it back up to 400 because i have been struggling lately.

i also take Calcium with vit. d, folic acid - 25 mg, omega 3; and i take a weekly injection of vitamin b. I take Dilaudid for pain, but i don't take unless pain is unbearable.

my dr. started me on a muscle relaxer last week to see if this will help with some of the fibromyalgia pain....this seems to be worse than lupus lately.

i believe that the vit. b shot does the most for my fatigue - i take it on the same night that i take the mtx, so i really can't tell which works best on fatigue, but the combination works.

i am amazed at how much my swelling as gone down....i sometimes look at my feet and sigh "so this is what my feet are supposed to look like"....they had been swollen for so long that i thought that was normal.

oh yeah....thanks for the vision of a dried turd.....i think i will delay cooking dinner.

Oluwa
09-11-2009, 09:04 AM
Thanks, you two...

It might be the answer for me. My ankles are still like balloons filled with water..slosh, slosh...

Hugs with love,
O.

magistramarla
09-11-2009, 10:45 AM
Hi Oluwa,
I'm only taking .6 cc of the MTX by injection. It seems to help with the joint pain and the fatigue quite a bit. I also notice that the rash on my face gets a bit better for a few days. I'm also taking one pill per day of Plaquenil (any larger dose and I'm stuck in the bathroom all day).
Jeff makes sure that I take all of my vitamins every day - a multi, folic acid, calcium, glucosamine & condroitin, etc.
I also take prevacid for the tummy and Allegra for the allergies.
Good luck with it. I hope that it works for you.
Marla

Oluwa
09-18-2009, 05:43 AM
Thank you...thank you...

I'm off the Imuran and on the MTX. No one mentioned the cantaloupe colored pee....waz up wit dat? Even days later...

7.5mg, pill form for 6 weeks...taking it slow since I had such a reaction to the Imuran. Or is that the norm? Her and I discussed the injection and I opted for the pills. I am also chasing it with 1000mg of folic acid...

BTW how long did ya delay dinner Phyllis..I roared...

Love,
Oluwa

Angel Oliver
09-20-2009, 11:40 AM
Bringing this forward for the newbies and laughing at the image of the dried turd and Phyllis and her dinner :)

How are you today Gator Girl ?xxxxxxxx

Oluwa
09-20-2009, 12:28 PM
And what is your week like after the drug..like Wednesday to Sunday...

Love,
O.

Angel Oliver
09-20-2009, 12:32 PM
So far so good for me on the Plaquenil.Im so looking forward to feeling less pain and show that doctor i was right.I feel nothing as yet,but im hoping i will.
What about yoohoo?xxxx

Oluwa
09-30-2009, 06:04 AM
Since dosing with my 3 tiny tine pills...I yawn 24/7. I feel a slight change in pain..but still fatigues. Still early in the game as it has been only 3 weeks...

I am hoping and praying for you too Amanda....

Be well, keep well..enjoy the day.
Love,
Oluwa

BonusMom
09-30-2009, 08:51 AM
Why is MTX prescribed instead of prednisone? I see that many of you are taking MTX and not prednisone. I hate prednisone with a passion and try my best not to take it. I'm tapering down (not sure if I'm doing it right) and woke up with a slew of sores in my mouth. Between dryness from sjoggies and mouth sores, I'm looking for a liquid breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Anywho....blame it on my blondness or lupie brain fog, but I'm just not getting it.

Oluwa
09-30-2009, 09:18 AM
MTX is also supposed to be a prednisone, sparing drug...so maybe it should be added to your regime alone or in combination with a lesser dose of steroids.

I'd ask you Rheumba about it.

Are you tapering your steroids on your own (not sure I am doing it right)? If so, well, I don't really think that is a great idea as blood work is use to coincide with the tapering if you have been on it for a while. Adrenal gland atrophy.

Personally because of my family history of early heart disease I avoid steroids as much as possible. If needed...I am prescribed the short duration taper packs and I have never used more than 6 months of daily dosing at one time.

Love,
O.

mountaindreamer
09-30-2009, 11:27 AM
hi bonusmom,are you taking folic acid...it is supposed to help with mouth sores. I take mtx instead of prednisone because i hate what steroids do to me. Also, when my hands and ankles swell from the weight gain, the pain increases.

justomegirlindallas
10-23-2009, 07:45 AM
Hi Oluwa,
I'm only taking .6 cc of the MTX by injection. It seems to help with the joint pain and the fatigue quite a bit. I also notice that the rash on my face gets a bit better for a few days. I'm also taking one pill per day of Plaquenil (any larger dose and I'm stuck in the bathroom all day).
Jeff makes sure that I take all of my vitamins every day - a multi, folic acid, calcium, glucosamine & condroitin, etc.
I also take prevacid for the tummy and Allegra for the allergies.
Good luck with it. I hope that it works for you.
Marla

I'm thinking about switching to prevacid or zegrid (I take nexium now and it sucks) I'm also considering switching to mtx

iseedeadmonkeys
10-23-2009, 08:09 AM
Mrs O

Il swap your 3 tiny pills for my 6 tiny pills?

love

me
xxx

Bonita
10-23-2009, 09:57 AM
I was just started on methotrexate 3 weeks ago. I have been on pred for almost 2 years at different doses and plaqu. for over a year and still have had a lot of flares and pain i am hoping this will be good for me but time will tell. Bonita

mountaindreamer
10-25-2009, 07:53 AM
hi bonita, i hope you get some relief from the mtx. I presently take 1ml each week via injection. I do see a diffference in how i feel, my pain, and my energy level.....this gives me 3 or 4 decent days a week. However, i saw my nephrologist last week, and he wants to talk to my rheumy about reducing the dosage....he has some concerns for my kidneys. I have become reliant on the mtx, and i am not sure about reducing the dosage....i will let my rheumy help me make that call. Let me know if you have any questions about mtx, and welcome to our "yada heads" club.

widebody
03-08-2010, 07:17 PM
my rheumatologist doesn't like prednisone much - in my case, he won't even consider it because I'm diabetic and it plays heck with blood sugar. Despite the nasty side effects, he thinks methotrexate is a good option, especially for hip pain which is what boethers me the most. I've been on plaquenil since July and just started meth (about 10 minutes ago!). Interestingly, the doc told me that Plaquenil tends to work better on hand joints and less well on legs -- which might explain why my fingers haven't been too bad lately but I've had days where I can hardly walk.

mountaindreamer
03-09-2010, 04:12 PM
hi widebody,

my dr. and i don't want me to take steroids either. so, after plaquenil did not give me much relief, she added mtx and i have felt better evey since. the mtx has reduced the swelling, so my hands and feet don't hurt like they used to. I still have bad days with them, but it is not constant like it was before the mtx.

magistramarla
03-09-2010, 09:38 PM
Hi Widebody,
I can't take steroids, either. They tend to cause AVN. Since I have it without ever taking steroids, I sure would never want to take them and make it even worse. The MTX does have side-effects, but I'm doing OK with it. I hope that it works for you.
Hugs,
Marla

widebody
03-16-2010, 09:21 AM
Just took my second dose of mtx last night (Monday).
Last week i was pretty much fine on Tuesday, terrible fatigue Weds and Thurs, that never really went away. So, my nurse suggested I bump up the folic acid. I'm now taking about 2 mg/day instead of one.
Weird thing this week was that I woke up around 2 am feeling 'wired' - like I'd had a gallon of coffee. Hard time getting back to sleep, and woke up before the alarm. I'm not complaining - I'll take increased energy any time!
No effect yet on joint pain/swelling...but I wouldn't expect that yet.
Pluses: no nausea (yet) Downside: last week's fatigue, dramatic decrease in my alcohol consumption (ok, maybe that's a good thing ;) )

Bonita
03-17-2010, 02:41 PM
Finally i am seeing and improvement with my painfull joints and i think it is from the methotrexate. Bonita