PDA

View Full Version : Don't like my mom's rheumy

Spanglishqueen
09-06-2009, 01:45 PM
Hi guys,

I am home in TN visiting the folks this week and I'm going to my mom's rheumy appt on Tuesday. Not sure about him when I give her questions to ask him he doesn't answer them directly just says yes I did that. Well I'm pretty sure he's not gonna like me :tongue2: I'm gonna make him use his education :) One thing I don't like is that right now she just has Rheumatoid arthritist and she's on 10mg of prednisone and methotrexate. what I read for RA they only use prednisone until DMARs kick in. That seems pretty high since she only has RA right now. They did blood work which all came out negative. She only has joint pain and now extreme moon face. He is telling her she has lupus. I'm like what criteria did he use?!?!?:shocked: She has been telling me that other patients complain all he does is diagnose patients with lupus (especially hispanics) I read his medical profile and he has a bad review from patients most of them feeling he does uneccessarry test for insurance purposes. I will ask basic questions see how he answers them and then go from there. My mom doesn't advocate for herself she does whatever the doctors say and takes what they giver her. I will be her advocate --and I can be fiesty so this doc better be on the up and up. Let me know if anyone out there with RA that dosage of prednisopne sounds right and if she should be on it for too long she's been on it since April?

Thanks

Angel Oliver
09-07-2009, 12:50 PM
Good on you!!! Im sorry i dont know much about this so can not help you,but well done to you on supporting your mum through this appointment.Oh what i would'nt give for someone to help me at appointment.Please let me know how it goes.I so hope this doctor helps her properly and this dose is right and if its wrong i hope you sort it out.Good luck.

love Amanda.xxxxxxx

SandyR
09-07-2009, 04:12 PM
Brenda -

Hooray for you for sticking up for your mom like that! It sounds like she really needs that with this doctor right now and I bet she is really greatful for that. I can't answer your med questions. I can say that when I went to the 1st rheumy and she told me I have either RA or PsA that she wanted me to start either Methotrexate, Plaquenel, Enbrel or 2 other drugs idk the names of off the top of my foggy head. She even asked me which I would prefer which was a major turnoff to me since I don't feel I am qualified to know which drug would interact better with my medical history given that I don't have a medical degree. I looked at a lot of arthritis sites at the time and although the drugs she recommended were the drugs recommened by all the arthritis foundations, I also decided that my symptoms weren't severe enough to warrant taking those meds. (Plus I really think she is wrong with her dx and so do my PCP and new rheumy so I am glad I listened to myself). The only suggestion I could make is to call the local chapter of the arthritis foundation and run this information by them. Not only can they tell you if this sounds as fishy to them as it does to you, they can also provide you a list of recommended rheumies in your mom's area.
Best of luck to you and your mom!
Sandy

mountaindreamer
09-08-2009, 01:47 PM
hooray for you....i know you will be a very successful advocate for your mom. please let us know how the appointment goes today.

Spanglishqueen
09-09-2009, 07:15 AM
Thanks for the support and advice. Sandy I did call the Arthritis foundation and I'm having them send my mom literature on proper medications, etc... I also went to the Doc's yesterday and advocated. He was impressed and probably a bit intimidated and pissed of my knowledge :laugh: For the first half of the appointment which was approximately 10 minutes I let him and my mom talk. I was not impressed with how he treated her she told him she was still in pain and he asked her what medication she was on? I'm like ummm shouldn't YOU know that---he didn't I had to tell him. She had complained about her face swelling for over 2 months and he didn't know what it was...when I went through her medication I saw she was on prednisone and I told her that is a side effect called moonface...she's like why didn't he tell me. So I told him that the swelling was due to the prednisone and we should probably wean her off and get her on DMARs which she was not on. :laugh: The whole staff thought I was a nurse and he even offered me a job :laugh: Then I told him I just like to keep educated and that I'm an attorney. He then stopped taking my advice. Then we got into the lupus discussion and I was like my mom thinks she has lupus I did not see it in her records when did you diagnose her , he sadi he didn't he's just monitoring her for it and then he puffed out his chest and told me about how he was a professor in Lupus gave tons of lectures wrote tons of books. I'm like good for you...I only care about my mom's health. Bottom line the guy is a smart man and knows his stuff but he doesn't know how to treat patients if I would not have gone with her my mom would not have been weaned off prednisone prescribed DMARs and she'd still think she had lupus. I told her to find another Rheumy one that can talk to her. And his office looked like something out of a 1970's horror film. It was gross.

mountaindreamer
09-09-2009, 11:35 AM
WOW, brenda,

your mom is so fortunate to have you in her corner. do you think that your mom has lupus? how long has this dr. been "monitoring her"?

i hope your mom finds a wonderfully compassionate and knowledgeable rheumy....not the easiest of combinations.

Spanglishqueen
09-09-2009, 04:40 PM
At this point I don't think she has lupus, she may have some sort of auto immune but not lupus. She is seeing her PCP Tuesday and getting a referral for another Rheumy.

Angel Oliver
09-09-2009, 04:55 PM
Wow im so glad she had you there to fight her corner.Well done and i hope the next rheumi takes care of her properly.Thinking of you both.xxxxxx

BonusMom
09-09-2009, 06:01 PM
Amazing how threatened the medical community gets when you mention a legal background, eh?!

Glad that you're helping your mom. All this AI stuff can be very confusing (especially with the brain fog issues), so it's really nice to have someone with you during appts.

Oh, and Mr Puffy Chest shouldn't gloat about all of his published works because ANYONE can self publish and call themselves an expert.

SandyR
09-09-2009, 06:32 PM
Brenda -

Woo hoo! Great job with that doctor! Sounds like he needed someone to give him a little reality check. I am glad to hear he listened to you and that your mom is weaning off prednisone.

lucky7
09-10-2009, 03:10 PM
AWWWW, GOOD FOR YOU Brenda!!!!!!! YOU go girl!!!!!!!! What a GOOD daughter you are!!!!!!!!:cute: SO SWEET!!!!! Now that deserves a big WOO HOO!!!!!! We have to be our own advocates for ourselves as well as for the people we love!!!!:angelic: