PDA

View Full Version : I hate doctors

catownsley
09-02-2009, 09:31 PM
I never want to see another doctor again. What the hell do they do at medical school? Is there an ego development class? I'm so frustrated right now that I'm beat red and burning up.

Thanks for reading my vent.

ElyMiller000
09-02-2009, 09:42 PM
I'm so sorry that your experience with Doctors has been a horrible one. I am very lucky because my Doctors almost seem heaven sent. I have a group of men (like 4 or 5) who stay in touch with each other, call me at home and even once drove from their office to visit me at the E.R. The point is, don't lose hope in finding people like that. I wish all doctors cared about their patients the way mine seem to about me. I know you'll find a Doctor who will take care of you!

rob
09-02-2009, 09:43 PM
I've told off many a Dr./Rheumo in the past few years. Some of them just plain suck. Huge ego's and the bedside manner of a Mortician seems to be the norm. Others are just flat out incompetent. I know how you feel. There are a few good ones out there. When you find them, stick with them.

Rob

P.S. I got into a verbal confrontation with an extremely cruel acting Rheumo, and I called him Dr. Mengele. He didn't really like that much. Stopped getting Christmas cards from that office. Oh well.

scarby
09-03-2009, 12:00 AM
I'm so sorry to hear of your experience. Some doctors really need to be shot. I've considred myself lucky that I haven't come across too many. My current GP and rheumy are great. I agree with EleMiller000. There are some good caring doctors out there. It's just the matter of finding them. If the next one is no good, go for another. I hope you'll won't take it to heart and try again. There will be someone who will care.

Angel Oliver
09-03-2009, 04:57 AM
Im glad you vented about this as we all have had some kind of experience with doctors.Me and Doctors omg...read my posts you will see just the hell ive also been through.Ive nearly given up.I even stopped seeing the doctors for a few months and got so very sick.It was WHL members who gave me the courage to carry on fighting.
I know right now you will feel so angry at the doctors,but you know what....dont give up.Just keep going to the doctors until YOU find the answers the medication and the help you need to help you live a better life.That time will come.Look at Ely and Rob now,they have found good caring doctors.We have to belive that one day we too will find a good doctor.Just keep going.Keep posting here and together we will help you with things to say to doctors to help them hear you.Many times ive been and they've yawned at me,cancelled appointments,given me anti depressants and i have left the appointment feeling like a hypocondract.But then i look at my swollen painful rashed up body.So i know my own body like you do.I dont visit these doctors for the fun of it,i go to get help and be listened too.Im a quiet person who is intimidated by doctors now,but i tell you,with the help of members here,i will continue like you will,to go to see the doctors until......we come and post here at out caring,lovely doctors we now have.It will take time i know,but watch this space!!

love n hugs
Amanda.xxxxxxx

leaann
09-03-2009, 07:39 AM
omg don't get me started...doctors...hmmm they think they are all that... most to me seem to think that if you don't have insurance or lots of money they don't want to spend the time on you... some have horrible personalities...

There are some great ones,but they seem to be few and far between.... if you find one stick with it... It took me almost 20 years to find one that was good...

hope you find one soon good luck

Karenlee
09-03-2009, 10:50 AM
My dr. and I go way back, I've thought the world of him for the longest time. I have come to question his actions lately. If he would have been more aggressive in his decisions, I know now I would have been diagnosed a lot sooner. I kept going in complaining how I ached all over, I complained about fatigue, dry eye--you name it. I knew I had discoid, so did he-finally he referred me to a rheumatologist who specializes in lupus and rheumatoid arthritis. Lo and behold, I have SLE. This has been going on for two yrs. As much as I love him, I'm thinking of jumping ship.

catownsley
09-03-2009, 11:08 AM
Thank you all for your responses. They really helped. I feel a little better after a couple hours of on and off crying last night. My husband and I both work from home, so I'm staying in bed today while my husband is being super sweet. I'm still stunned about the rheumy jerk though. I have a GP and a neuro who are OK, but even then it took 2 years to give me a diagnosis. I had to get 3 brain lesions, pronounced peripheral neuropathy, 2 high titer positive ANAs and anti-dna tests, and some permanent liver damage. The problem is that I do have depression in my medical history and I think docs see that and from then on its 'psych patient psych patient psych patient.' I don't think that I will go back to any of them. It seems to be one of the most triggering experiences I can have, except for maybe sun exposure, which I can avoid. I'm going to try a naturopath and acupuncturist. But MDs no more.

catownsley
09-03-2009, 11:39 AM
So now I feel a need to explain myself since I divulged that I have a history of depression. I have this fear, however irrational, that everyone who knows this will think 'psych patient psych patient psych patient.' The reason I got so upset was that the rheumy wouldn't even look at my test results. Seriously, he said he DIDN'T NEED TO, because he is a doctor and he can tell when someone is sick. I tried to tell him that this was objective data, not just me, the lowly patient, explaining how I feel. I have MRIs with neurologist reports, extensive tests where I endured electric current running through my entire body to show the results proving the neuropathy, multiple ANA panels, positive ssDNA and now positive dsDNA, not to mention the liver function tests which are new...and yes, I've already said all of this. But he WOULDN'T EVEN LOOK!. He said doctor's have too many tests at their disposal and in the old days doctor's were definitive and looked at their patients and made the call. I then tried to get him to look at my records so he could see that, according to my GP weigh in, I dropped 40 lbs in about 3 months...and still the same result. He had an intern their helping him, looking at him like he was all that, while I couldn't say a word, and he was the all knowing God doctor. I barely made it out of there in time to burst into tears and call my husband. I hate feeling sorry for myself.

So that was more venting....

rob
09-03-2009, 12:07 PM
I know what you mean. Why anyone would not want to use all the information at their disposal to make a diagnosis is beyond me. If I had known how few decent Dr.'s there are in the world when I was young, I would have pursued a career in medicine instead of mechanical engineering. I've learned to not get all caught up in the bad Dr.'s. The way I see it, they work for me, and although I'm no Dr., I'm also no dummy. If they are not doing the logical, sensible things I know they should be doing, or if they talk down to people, I just tell them sorry, you're fired. Drop 'em like a hot rock, and keep going until I find a good one. And when I do, I stick with them. It's a two way street, they HAVE to listen to us, and they have to work WITH us.

Rob

pandagirl
09-03-2009, 03:39 PM
catownsly: DITTO...I had one rheumy ask if there is a family history of any kind.."I said yes my mom has rheumatoid arthritis"..he then asked "what does she take"?. I explained she is a retired nurse,82 years old and takes a Tylenol if desperate(old school). He replied to me "well she couldn't have rheumatoid...must be osteo" I was like whaaat? Like I don't know my family history!!! I didn't argue...when I told my GP he was like what the hell is that, and who is he to question your family history??!!!Needless to say he is on my ***t list and I won't go back. I am to old and impatient for that type of treatment.

scarby
09-03-2009, 03:45 PM
catownsley,
I can identify with you with the whole psych patient thing. I don't have as many tel tale signs like you in terms of test results so for quite a while, they were wanting to attribute my symptoms to depression regardless on what I had to say. It was INCREDIBLY frustrating. Hang in there. You may com across some good caring people like I have. My current GP and rheumy are good to me.

Angel Oliver
09-04-2009, 12:13 PM
Cat im sorry you experienced this.2 days ago i saw my doctor and asked for Ambien or Lunesta.He sat there and said he had never heard of these drugs.You know i left his office with anti depressants.So now im so MAD i have printed out the English version of those drugs so both the rheumi n the doc can both see im not stupid or depressed that im actually sick.Im so sad they are just seeing the depression n anxiety and not dealing with the nightmare im living with.My knees are swollen with my elbows,i dont sleep,yes im depressed,but how come i got a rash on face ,arms n legs n chest? Why am i in pain DOH. I nearlt gave up....but yu know what im so mad right now theyre giving me the strength to fight a cow :) Yeh come on cows im ready :) dont know why a cow but its big lol.
So please hang in there.We will find help like other members have on here.We all understand you.

love n gentle hugs
Amanda.xxxxxxxx

scarby
09-04-2009, 10:58 PM
Amanda, I was in the same boat before I ended up with my current set of doctors. I hung in there while they treated me for depression and nothing else. It wasn't till my depression lifted that they could see that I still had a problem. So yea, some doctors aren't the brightest cookies which scares me somewhat. :wacko:

Danica01
09-04-2009, 11:46 PM
I am so sorry you have had to go through this. It seems the people who need the most care and concern are put on the back burners. Alway remember, that depression has nothing to with how you feel right now and you are your own advocate when it come to your health so you make them understand!!!!!!It really isn't fair and something should be done to these doctors to make them understand what we are going through. It is so tough to find a good doctor and then it is even tougher for that us to keep getting great care from that doctor. As you read, most of us have had to deal with this situation at one time or another. I have been through four doctors before I found the most amazing one. Now I don't have insurance and can not see him anymore........I must keep looking. Keep you head up and vent to all of us anytime you need to . We are here for you and care about your every thought. I am sending you peaceful thoughts and gentle hugs tonight :hug:

maine
09-05-2009, 09:26 AM
I am so sorry you have had such an awful experience with your doctor. It seems all too common with these kinds of diseases. My first rheumatologist asked about my family history and I told him my grandmother has lupus and rheumatoid arthritis. He just looked at me and said, "Well, does she really have it or does she just think she has it!" I was so angry. How dare he dismiss the trials and pains and difficulties she has suffered. I was very insecure at that time, though-was beginning to wonder if I WAS a hypochondriac- and I was desperate for help so I stayed with him for a while. Thank goodness I came to my senses and sought out a new doctor. DON'T GIVE UP!!! There are some good ones out there. And please don't ever doubt yourself. If you feel something is wrong, then it is. Fight for yourself!
BEST WISHES!

catownsley
09-08-2009, 10:45 PM
I ran the name of the doctor I saw through google, and guess what I found, someone else who had a similar experience. Here is what the other patient said:
"Pleasant enough, but quick to dispose of me with a short exam, no blood tests, very few questions, a narrow view, and next to nothing in the way of relevant advice. He did not listen well and sometimes cut me off. It may well be that my problems were not in his field after all, but he seemed to have preemptively made up his mind that nothing was wrong with me, without taking into account some of my most prominent symptoms. A couple of his remarks were dismissive and REALLY off-base. Of his two quick "diagnoses," one was flat-out wrong (did not match my symptoms at all, and he did not even examine the relevant area) and the other was not very well supported. Several doctors had suggested I see a rheumatologist, but that turned out to be a mistake, because I didn't get a well-considered evaluation or advice. Be aware that rheumatologists don't want to see "fibromyalgia" patients anymore, now that it's no longer considered a rheumatology condition."

I wasn't there for fibromyalgia, so I don't think his demeanor was specific to this particular disease. But at least it's not all in my crazy head.

rob
09-09-2009, 06:52 AM
Last year I went to a new Rheumotologist, and it was a disaster. I filled out this long document asking questions in great detail about my symptoms, flares, details of when and who diagnosed me with SLE, all sorts of stuff. I was happy to fill it all out in detail thinking it was really great that they wanted all this info. Well, after waiting 6 months to see this guy, I get there for a 10:00 appt. and don't get in to see him until 11:30. Not a good sign. So, I'm finally called in from the waiting area to go to the exam room. After the nurse does the usual B.P. and weight, I sit for another half an hour. Finally the Rheumo comes in.

I hand him this 8 page detailed form I had so dilligently filled out, and he just tosses it in a drawer. My temper is rising. He then says "and why are you here today?". Huh? Temper is now boiling. I tell him if he had looked at the long form or looked at my records forwarded from my previous Rheumo, he would know that I was there to monitor and manage my SLE. Then he says "Oh OK. And what makes you think you have Lupus?" I ask him what in the hell is he talking about? Read the blanking record you moron!

He then says we are going to do all the tests needed to make a proper diagnosis, and see if I have Lupus. At this point, I'm ready to explode. I tell him that I AM NOT HERE FOR A DIAGNOSIS! I HAVE THAT ALREADY! Why do I think I have Lupus? I don't "think" it. I know it because of the two separate rheumo's who diagnosed me with it. I know it because I was approved for and recieve full Social Security Disability. I recieve full disability because I had to see TWO MORE rheumo's, separate from the first two, to confirm the diagnosis. These rheumo's work for the Social Security Administration. They confirmed it. I had been recieving full benefits for 4 years at that point.

And of course, I know I have Lupus because of these reasons-Joint Pain, Cognitive Dysfunction, Severe Fatigue, Alopecia Arreata, Extreme Sun Sensitivity, Scaly Burning Rashes, the list goes on and on. Oh, an my Mother was diagnosed with SLE in 1990. At this point I went off on the idiot in a rather loud, angry tirade. I guess I scared him because he retreated to this other exam room and was looking around the corner at me like a scared kid. If I wasn't so pissed off, I would have laughed my butt off. I said some choice four letter words, picked up my records, took the long waste of my time form out of the drawer, and left.

I've been through one more rheumo since then who was an incompetent fool. At this point, I have no rheumo. But, I do have an excellent GP who knew very little about SLE, and admitted I was the first patient he's had with SLE. He actually told me he would crack open his books and learn all he could in order to help me. On my second visit to him, he really knew his stuff. I joke with him that I'll pay for his schooling if he wants to become a rheumotologist.

I also discovered an excellent neurologist who I initially saw for my additional diagnosis of overlapping MS, and he is very good, and knows quite a bit about SLE. Anyway, that's my bad Dr. story. Most of the regulars here have heard it, but I figured I'd share it again for the new people who haven't heard it.

The moral of the story? There are indeed some totally incompetent idiots out there. When you encounter one of them, get rid of them and move on. There are also some really good Dr.'s out there. When you find one, stick with them. And, don't be afraid to stand up for yourself. Be your own best advocate.

Rob

bunnie
09-09-2009, 08:35 AM
Hi Rob,
I'm sorta new here, so I had not heard your story before. Ugh! That is awful, I think you had every right to be so angry.
Hope you are having a good day...
Deb

rob
09-09-2009, 09:03 AM
Hi Rob,
I'm sorta new here, so I had not heard your story before. Ugh! That is awful, I think you had every right to be so angry.
Hope you are having a good day...
Deb

I looked (and sounded) like the Drill Instructor in my avatar! Oh well. That rheumo ended up in some sort of legal trouble and left town about a month after I saw him for the first, and last time.

MLockwood
09-09-2009, 09:02 PM
I have found that in some cases, they really are 'practicing" medicine........It's like a hairdresser or a gyno......you just keep looking till you find one YOU are comfortable with....

Angel Oliver
09-10-2009, 04:38 AM
I totally agree!! xxxxxxxxxx

rob
09-10-2009, 07:28 AM
I have found that in some cases, they really are 'practicing" medicine........It's like a hairdresser or a gyno......you just keep looking till you find one YOU are comfortable with....

I've never felt the need to look for a gyno, or a hairdresser.:laugh:

pandagirl
09-10-2009, 10:26 AM
Rob: I don't mean to laugh, but It beats crying. I had a very similar experience here in Jer-z. I left feeling like...what the hell...even my GP said 2nd opinion. My GP showed me the case report letter that was sent to him by the rheumy...when I read it I was like "are you sure he is talking about me'? So many inaccuracies that I was appalled. I have now been to 3 babbling boobs , I have an appointment in Oct with my last shot in NJ.It is just sooo frustrating. Just when I thought all the idiot MD's landed in NJ, I guess not after hearing everyones horror stories here.:nah:

lucky7
09-10-2009, 03:34 PM
LOL GOOD ole ROB!!!!!!! There to make us laugh!!!! I love you man!!!!! :raspberry1:

catownsley
09-10-2009, 09:14 PM
My GP really helped me with this situation and I feel a lot better. Now I feel a bit guilty for damning all doctors. Yay for my GP for standing by me helping me move forward.

Angel Oliver
09-11-2009, 05:54 AM
Im glad you feel a little better and well done to your doctor.But dont feel guilty.Ive called allot of em too and for very good reason...they were crap!! Hope you keep feeling better each day,just take it slow.

love Amanda.xx

lucky7
09-14-2009, 03:55 PM
The thing is though, its MOST DRS that DO SUCK!!! :monkey-loco: So dont feel bad about saying it. WE speak the TRUTH!:yes: