PDA

View Full Version : disability

shannon1143
08-31-2009, 01:00 PM
Hello all. My rheumy told me to file for disability in March, I just received my denial thursday , went to a lawyer friday. Lawyer says he wants to get me approved from 2001 which is when my symptoms first started, I got diagnosed with sle in 2006,anyone know what the chances are of me getting backpay from that long ago???

jcg196
09-01-2009, 06:02 PM
Hi Shannon,

Is this Social Security or something thru long term disability? I am not sure I think they only go back a year...but I am not sure. I am applying for social security currently.

Take care!!

neL :yes:

shannon1143
09-02-2009, 08:32 AM
It is through social security, I know the lawyer said SSI only pays from the time you apply

Faith
09-28-2009, 12:04 AM
I appealed in December and still waiting for hearing before judge. Attorney thought it would be already heard by now. Frustrating as it is increasingly painful each day as well as financially tough.

I can only pray it goes through; otherwise I don't know what I will do. My 12 year old even asked, I didn't think he even knew of disability, asked me why I wasn't on disability as I am in so much pain every day. I don't know how much longer I can last working part time 3.0 hrs per day. I wake up to leg spasms at 5:00 am every morning; hubby gets me into hot bathtub and I soak for two hours and struggle to go to work. I have worked all my life; why is it so hard for those of us whom have worked since we were 14?

I guess I am clueless.

Take care,

Faith

Angel Oliver
01-01-2010, 02:58 PM
Good luck with your hearing.I go to mine on the 12th.So stressful all this and so unfair.I hope you get it.Also,have you tried Robaxin for the spams? I had terrible leg n foot spasms n really awful cramping,since taking the pills they have eased up allot.Just a thought.

Love Amanda.xxxx

BadFlareDay
01-06-2010, 11:25 PM
I truly feel blessed by reading this thread. I didn't have to fight for my disability, within 5 mths of filing I was approved. I didn't expect to win it at first try because they say that SS will deny the first application, with that I already had me an attorney picked out to help me fight. Even now after 5 yrs I often cannot believe I won.

Best of luck to you and all others that are applying.

As to how far they go back I'm not sure. I know they didn't go back on me and I reported that the illness had started long before I filed.

Faith
02-10-2010, 08:47 PM
Hi Amanda,

Just checking to see how your hearing went? I hope it went well? Keep us posted.

Take care,

Faith

Faith
02-10-2010, 09:00 PM
Hi Bad Flare Day,

I am being told it's going to be tough and I am not looking forward to it at all because I fear I will be turned down. I feel guilty for this illness and the financial stress it has cost my family let alone all the pain and suffering. I am sure many of you know what I am referring to.

If someone had told me that you work all your life since 15 years old and are a legal citizin; to be possibly turned down because you are not near the age of 49 or 50. I won't get on my soap box. All I can do is pray as it is in God's hands.

Take care,

Faith

SugarSnit
02-10-2010, 10:14 PM
Hey Faith and Angel Oliver,

good luck with your hearings!

My hearing was uneventful and the judge ruled in my favor. I didn't do anything but let my atty handle everything.

I'm still WAITING of course - b/c even after a ruling in your favor it takes 6-8 months to receive your benefits. But- just wanted to say that the hearing itself wasn't "stressful." Take a book to read b/c it was a LONG WAIT. Take your meds b/c you will HURT sitting there. The judges are not usually mean though - they've been doing this for YEARS and are often sick of their jobs. They don't want to hear about your anger or disappointment- but why or how your disability makes it difficult to work. I wouldn't talk about working 3 hours a day. I wouldn't use that word - it makes you sound productive and likely to get turned down. I'd say you were unable to work at all and that attempting to sit or work causes you to have the spasms etc... you know. But it's not that you go -- it's what happens AFTERWARDS. Bring up the physical activities you've described here - like the soaking and the spasms and the emergency rooms and the medications and the inabilities to walk and write and sit and focus and think and concentrate etc -- everything that going to work and doing those physical activities cause you pain/damage. Make sense?

Do not want to give unsolicited advice- just know how their minds work - and if you CAN go now - they'll think - well - she's doing it now- she can keep on doing it... they are "rational" and doing the letter of the law.

*HUGS* and good luck!