PDA

View Full Version : EMG Test today

Sandra
08-25-2009, 11:04 AM
Ouch! Do you know they did that shock thing in my neck! And once wasn't enough they had to repeat the test as they weren't getting something they wnated the first go round...any way seems much like all of you that have had it the DR was happy with what ever it showed...he said that I had no paralisis anyway...they only checked the frenic (sp?) nerve as I have been having some breathing problems....so I guess the problems are just from fatigue....have you ever been to tired to breath? I have an exercise pulminary test next withour an arterial line...what ever that means anybody know? My respirologist is trying to figure out where the shortness of breath is coming from...I would have like to know more about the rest of the nervous system though because of my cognative and sleep issues....I suppose checking everything at once would be to difficult...thanks Sandra

Saysusie
08-25-2009, 11:50 AM
Hi Sandra;
I'm glad to hear that your tests showed no paralysis. Here is some information about the pulmonary test:

Pulmonary function tests are a group of tests that measure how well the lungs take in and release air and how well they move oxygen into the blood.In a spirometry test, you breathe into a mouthpiece that is connected to an instrument called a spirometer. The spirometer records the amount and the rate of air that you breathe in and out over a period of time.

For some of the test measurements, you can breathe normally and quietly. Other tests require forced inhalation or exhalation after a deep breath.

Lung volume measurement can be done in two ways:
The most accurate way is to sit in a sealed, clear box that looks like a telephone booth (body plethysmograph) while breathing in and out into a mouthpiece. Changes in pressure inside the box help determine the lung volume.
Lung volume can also be measured when you breathe nitrogen or helium gas through a tube for a certain period of time. The concentration of the gas in a chamber attached to the tube is measured to estimate the lung volume.

To measure diffusion capacity, you breathe a harmless gas for a very short time, often one breath. The concentration of the gas in the air you breathe out then is measured. The difference in the amount of gas inhaled and exhaled can help estimate how quickly gas can travel from the lungs into the blood.Since the test involves some forced breathing and rapid breathing, you may have some temporary shortness of breath or light-headedness. You breathe through a tight-fitting mouthpiece, and you'll have nose clips.

Pulmonary function tests are done to:
1) Diagnose certain types of lung disease (especially asthma, bronchitis, and emphysema)
2) Find the cause of shortness of breath
3) Measure whether exposure to contaminants at work affects lung function

It also can be done to assess the effect of medication and to measure progress in disease treatment

Spirometry measures airflow. By measuring how much air you exhale, and how quickly, spirometry can evaluate a broad range of lung diseases.

Lung volume measures the amount of air in the lungs without forcibly blowing out. Some lung diseases (such as emphysema and chronic bronchitis) can make the lungs contain too much air. Other lung diseases (such as fibrosis of the lungs and asbestosis) make the lungs scarred and smaller so that they contain too little air.

Testing the diffusion capacity (also called the DLCO) allows the doctor to estimate how well the lungs move oxygen from the air into the bloodstream.

Normal values are based upon your age, height, ethnicity, and sex. Normal results are expressed as a percentage. A value is usually considered abnormal if it is less than 80% of your predicted value. Normal value ranges may vary slightly among different laboratories. You should talk to your doctor about the meaning of your specific test results.

Arterial lines are inserted to measure beat-to-beat variations in blood pressure, and to sample arterial blood gases in order to guide resuscitation and ventilation. There is a lot of talk about it's necessity in pulmonary function tests. Apparently, you doctor does not feel that it is necessary.

I know that all of this testing is difficult and can sometimes be painful. However, I hope that they finally give you some answers. I wish you the very best.

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

crmj1183
08-25-2009, 03:24 PM
Hi Sandra ,

Ive never had any of those problems before but I can only imagine how you feel. Only thing I can offer you is huge hugs and a ton of prayers :yes:
Feel better soon

Chriss

SandyR
08-25-2009, 04:14 PM
Hi Sandra,

I just had this testing done last month (without the arterial line) and Saysusie's description is spot on. In fact, Saysusie explained more about what I did then I knew before. It was all quite quick and completely painless. When do you go to the pulmonologist? Did they also run xrays and CT or PET Scans on you? Please let us know how it goes. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Sandy