PDA

View Full Version : Computer Woes

DrinkofWtr
08-24-2009, 01:11 PM
I have been having so many computer problems lately. It runs so slowly and it is frustrating. Also, there are always application hangs, and unexpected closings of programs. I have been told that the memory is 80% full. I have been told I need more memory put in and even if I have that done, I still may have a really slow computer. I have tried to delete programs, but there is so much stuff running in the background that I am not even aware of and it is so time consuming. Let alone, the fact that some things can't or shouldn't be deleted. I just had to vent my computer woes, as I am going to have to live with this computer for awhile.

Angel Oliver
08-24-2009, 01:14 PM
Oh sorry to hear this,mine is slow,but i have'nt a clue what im doing.I switch on n hpe for the best.Hopefully someone will come along and give you advice on how to help this problem. Maybe you have a computer shop in a local paper who can come and look for a cheap price and fix this problem? Hope you get it sorted as i know this is your lifeline,like me.

Love
Amanda,xxxx

abbasgirl
08-24-2009, 01:16 PM
Can you open the task manager and see if there's anything running in the background that shouldn't be?

abbasgirl
08-24-2009, 01:18 PM
*headsmack*

What I meant to ask is what is running in the background? Can you list some that you're unfamiliar with?

Angel Oliver
08-24-2009, 01:20 PM
Sorry im butting in...how do you do that and when you find taskmaster what do you do ?x

mountaindreamer
08-24-2009, 01:21 PM
hi drinkofwtr....when my computer gets slow, my son does this clean out process that usually takes several hours to run....if you are interested, i can get him to come online here and help you do this clean out process. he says that things will pop up and run without my even knowing about them or even requesting them....i don't understand it, but he does.

let me know.

abbasgirl
08-24-2009, 01:32 PM
Hitting ctrl, alt, delete, will bring up the task manager, Amanda. And then hit the processes tab.

Angel Oliver
08-24-2009, 01:40 PM
Oh thanks so much.What i saw was kbbiwwbvobv ljvb r vljhrvvj to me :) What does all that mean ...so funny.I think i best not touch it or i'll mess it up.Have not got a clue what stuff is running but it filled the page :) xxxxxxxx

mountaindreamer
08-24-2009, 01:50 PM
angel....you are just too funny.,.,.love you girl.

abbasgirl
08-24-2009, 01:54 PM
Hey Amanda... how many processes are running? Look down at the bottom of the windows task manager on the left...and it should also show CPU usage.

Another way to find task manager is to right-click an empty space on your taskbar and then click task manager.

debbie-b
08-24-2009, 01:55 PM
Oh thanks so much.What i saw was kbbiwwbvobv ljvb r vljhrvvj to me :) What does all that mean ...so funny.I think i best not touch it or i'll mess it up.Have not got a clue what stuff is running but it filled the page :) xxxxxxxx

I am with you, its all foreign to me. If I ever have a pc problem, I will have to call the closest geek and pay him.

Debbie

Spanglishqueen
08-24-2009, 01:55 PM
Hiya Drink,

Yes it sounds like you may need to clean up your drive and if it is still slow it could be memory and/or video card. Sometimes if your video card is pretty old you could have issues with lagging (lots of pauses and disconnects) because the video image processing of the application is more than that of your computer. Take Mountains advice first tho think it just needs cleaning. Reason I know about video card is because I can be a computer geek and become addicted to computer games. :tongue2:

rob
08-24-2009, 03:35 PM
The first two things you should try, are doing a Disk Cleanup, and then run your Defragmenting program. If you could tell me what operating system you are using, I can walk you through it. It's not difficult, but it can take some time.

After you do that, I can walk you through the process of disabling programs that are currently running that you never, or rarely use. My Windows Vista setup came with a ton of crap already installed that I would never use, and my PC was really slow. I disabled and uninstalled a bunch of stuff and it freed up memory and made the PC much faster. Of course, you have to be careful when un-installing programs. You don't want to get rid of something vital for the system to operate.

Do the disk cleanup and defrag first. Let me know if you need help or a walkthrough.

Rob

DrinkofWtr
08-24-2009, 06:16 PM
Thanks everyone. I am going to do the disk cleanup and defrag and whatever else I can on my own. If these things don't do the trick, I'll be grateful for your help and will get back to you. It will probably take me a day or two to do what I can first. Tomorrow will be a big day for me as I have to go to the Dr., get prescriptions, hopefully go visit a friend and so forth. Thanks again everybody for your willingness to help me with my computer problems. You are all so special to me.

DrinkofWtr
08-24-2009, 09:59 PM
Dear Rob:

I did the disk cleanup and defragment but there was one drive that was almost completely filled with files so it wouldn't let me defragment it. I did what it said and started deleting bigger individual files that I never use. I'll see if it runs any faster now. I hope I don't need to install a new video card or more memory. We'll see!

Angel Oliver
08-25-2009, 05:54 AM
Oh fab im glad you did it and so hope your appt goes well and your visit is nice with your friend.
Im gonna try n clean mine....so if you dont see me again..you know i did something wrong :) xxxxxx

DrinkofWtr
08-25-2009, 09:42 AM
Well I took all of your advice and my computer seems to be running a bit faster now. I won't know the extent of the increase in speed until I shut it off completely and start it up again. Haven't had a chance to do this yet. But so far, so good. Thank you everybody. I so appreciate your help.

crmj1183
08-25-2009, 05:28 PM
I had the same problem. I added extra ram and that definitely did the trick. It wouldnt hurt to try it. I would say its at least worht the try.

Chriss

DrinkofWtr
08-27-2009, 08:12 AM
I think I may have spoken too soon. I still have a somewhat slow computer and I am still getting application hangs. Looks like I need more RAM, or a new Video card also.

rob
08-27-2009, 08:30 AM
I think I may have spoken too soon. I still have a somewhat slow computer and I am still getting application hangs. Looks like I need more RAM, or a new Video card also.

Depending on what video card you have, sometimes you can download a driver update that can make your video card work better. Do a search with the name/model of card plus update and see what comes up.

69bobo
08-29-2009, 12:55 PM
hi!
i saw all posts and i think all of you need some good program for tune up pc. this one (tune up util..)is for money , but this is free and i use this http://www.iobit.com/advancedwindowscareper.html .very good one.my pc is flying.
I hope it is helpful.
p.s.
sorry for my bad english

debbie-b
08-29-2009, 07:25 PM
hi!
i saw all posts and i think all of you need some good program for tune up pc. this one (tune up util..)is for money , but this is free and i use this http://www.iobit.com/advancedwindowscareper.html .very good one.my pc is flying.
I hope it is helpful.
p.s.
sorry for my bad english

I think your english is very good.

Debbie

69bobo
08-30-2009, 02:42 AM
I think your english is very good.

Debbie

first,thanks for the compliment
and if you have time, try that progr.