View Full Version : New problem, not sure how or who to talk to

08-22-2009, 09:36 PM
I've been experiencing what I thought was a lot of chronic UTI's but this is getting crazy so I did some looking b/c everything that seems to happen to me is autoimmune and sure enough many of the problems I have are related to autoimmune issues. I have type I diabetes, since age 12 and that is autoimmune, I have RA like joint pain, also autoimmune, hives related to autoimmune, and just recently diagnosed with Graves disease that could be autoimmune too.

So now this new problem, pain in my pelvic region, lower abdomen associated with urination and what seems like a chronic UTI, and I believe it to be interstitial cystitis after doing some reading on my own. I know that docs don't always believe us though...and I'm a nurse but they still don't believe me on some things I think. Anyway, I would appreciate any advice you have. I am hurting right now but its the weekend. I work Monday and Tuesday 12 hour shifts so I can't see the doc til Wednesday. But who do I even talk to? Do I talk to my Rheumy? My PCP? My OBGYN? I'm confused on that. Any ideas?

Angel Oliver
08-23-2009, 02:25 AM
Oh im sorry you are in such pain and working too hey,wow,you need an award.This is so unfair.Im just wondering.If you are a nurse,is there not a nice doctor at the hospital you could just ask his advice? If not i will be thinking of you as you must feel so bad right now.Im not sure what to advise.I just hope wednesday comes around soon for you.Hang in there.I understand how doctors can be very unhelpful at times,mine does the same,so you are not alone.Just keep fighting and i hope you are able to cope until your appointment.Let me know how it goes.

Love n gentle hugs

dassar RN
08-23-2009, 07:38 AM
Hi Cherokee,
I am sorry you are in so much discomfort. I hope you get some relief soon. I was just:Thinkingof_: the possibility of you even calling your PCP for an early appointment to prevent any possible transition to the kidneys if it is an inflammation of the bladder in any form. Maybe that Dr. can refer you to the necessary specialist if deemed necessary.It is better to be safe and put your mind at ease.

Keep hydrated and hope you will get some relief soon.

Dassar RN:yes:

08-23-2009, 09:28 AM
I suggest...Make an appointment with your OBGYN. Ask that they do a pelvic exam and also a specific bacteria urine test, that is sent to the lab. Not just the dip stick. If there is a specific bacteria they will then know what exact anti-biotic to prescribe....

For now...have you eliminated the foods and beverages they suggest if it is Interstitial cystitis? Like carbonated beverages, caffeine in all forms (including chocolate), citrus products and food containing high concentrations of vitamin C.

Feel well soon..hugs.