PDA

View Full Version : Stress

DrinkofWtr
08-18-2009, 09:28 AM
Please help me think of some new good ways to handle stress. The old ways don't seem to be working anymore.

Angel Oliver
08-18-2009, 10:34 AM
You tried:-

1.hot bubble bath n relax in it for half hour
2.Hold breath for 5 seconds then breath out for 5 n do it 5 times
3.watch a funny movie
4.read a book
5.go for a walk

Hope one of these is a good idea.
Love
Amanda.xxxx

noelg
08-18-2009, 11:24 AM
Dear Drinkofwtr
I have copied some information for you on a technique known as SomatoEmotional Release (SER) . It is a technique I have tried on several occasions now and have had wonderful success with.
SomatoEmotional Release (SER) is part of the CranioSacral Therapy curriculum, and is a means of accessing pain and emotions held within the body, by listening to tissue response. It's an experience that is not easy to explain or express but has a calming effect like no others I have tried.

You can search for practitioners who have training in CranioSacral Therapy through the Upledger Institute at:
http://www.iahp.com/pages/search/index.php#result
Additional information and practitioners can be found at:
IAHP - International Association of Healthcare Practitioners
Source: www.iahp.com
SomatoEmotional Release is a concept, and a group of techniques developed by the founder of CranioSacral Therapy Dr. John Upledger, in conjunction with biophysicist Dr. Zvi Karni.

In Dr. Upledger's extensive treatment experience providing CranioSacral Therapy to clients, he found that accessing a person's soft tissues would often initiate body movements that were not conscious or voluntary actions. These movements seemed automatic and if they were allowed to occur, and in fact were followed by the practitioner, the end result would be spontaneous tissue release accompanied by the spontaneous expression of emotion. These emotions would range from quiet whimpering to more intense reactions and seemed to be directly associated with that particular body position. Of primary importance, he noticed that with the release of the emotion, a total body release would occur, meaning that tissues throughout the body would relax, move and change in a way that promoted greater functionality. The client would sometimes but not always be aware in that moment of what that emotion was associated with, but generally within a period of 24-48 hours greater understanding and clarity would surface (ie, a memory that would link that particular body part or position to a certain incident or situation that was in some way traumatic.) In addition, clients provided feedback to Dr. Upledger that the experience of the emotional release not only alleviated physical symptoms, but also resulted in behavioural shifts:
SomatoEmotional Release is defined by Dr. Upledger as:
Soma is defined as "body" or more specifically, the entire body
of an organism. SER reflects a Body-Mind paradigm vs. the
mind-body (psychosomatic) concept. That is, rather than the
mind affecting the body, we are now relating to the body as a
means of accessing or addressing issues commonly thought of
as belonging to the realm of the mind.
These kinds of spontaneous total-body releases had such highly
valuable therapeutic effects that Dr. John Upledger developed
techniques that can be used by practitioners to encourage
SomatoEmotional Release in clients. In each and every case
without exception, Dr. Upledger discovered that the Cranio-
Sacral Rhythm stops suddenly when the tissues are in an exact
position that is therapeutically significant to the client. Thus, by
monitoring the CranioSacral Rhythm while listening to tissue
movements and responses, the therapist can receive valuable
'significance' feedback from the body. This means that without knowing anything about the origin or the injury, the practitioner will know which positions are moving the client closer to resolution (release.)
the expression of emotion that, for reasons deemed appropriate by some part of the patients's or client's nonconscious, has been retained, suppressed and isolated within the soma.
SomatoEmotional Release for me identified causes of my stress that I did not even know was a factor in my life and the "release" has helped me to grow and understand and deal with my stress so much more effectively.
Another technique which many of my friends have tried successfully is
Emotional Freedom Techniques (EFT) can be easily learned and used by anyone, anywhere, at any time; it is gentle, effective techniques that allow your body to naturally release stress and tension. Information on this can also be found at the Upledger Institute.

Hope this helps

leaann
08-18-2009, 11:46 AM
I aways find that a nice hot bath and some candles and bath salts and music away from everyone seems to help some...

and sreaming and ranting seems to work best for me lol :yes:

i am sure you will figure it out... I see some of the others have given good advice...

Hope you find something that works for you...

mountaindreamer
08-18-2009, 12:59 PM
hi drinkofwtr,

sorry to hear that you continue to be affected by stress....this is such a tough one because so many times we do not control what/who is causing the stress.....I try to mentally give ownership of peoples' choices to them and not let their choices have a negative effect on me.

hope you feel better.

ButterflyRN
08-18-2009, 01:32 PM
I can only learn from this thread too! My way of dealing with stress is crying! It helps me! I like to take warm baths too! They help my body relax and so does massage! As soon as my leg is feeling better I will be getting my massage!

abbasgirl
08-18-2009, 10:09 PM
I'm still learning too...

I cry. I pray. I vent. I watch funny movies. I eat some Hershey's symphony milk chocolate.... my hubby does this one too. There's just someting about that particular chocolate. I put a cold cloth on my face and drink a little wine. I used to go on long walks but I can't do that lately. Photography used to really help distract me ...I'd take a camera with me on my walk. Working on my pictures with photoshop. I research online trying to find answers to my many mysteries. I do that stressed or not...it feels good to be doing something about one of my situations. I come here and hang out with you all.

Oooh, Phyllis, I like the picturing the handing back people's choices to them! And I'm going to research more into the CranioSacral Therapy.

Hope you're feeling better DOW. ((((Hugs))))

rob
08-19-2009, 05:54 AM
This probably sounds kind of simple, but I have a punching bag out in the garage that I "work over" when I'm stressed, and it really helps get it all out of my system. Sometimes I imagine the bag is Lupus, and proceed to relentlessly pound it into submission. That helps even more. I know it sounds crazy, but it works.

ButterflyRN
08-19-2009, 07:16 AM
I like the punching bag idea!!!:yes:

mountaindreamer
08-19-2009, 08:16 AM
yes, i like the punching bag idea too....but with my hands hurting the way they do, i don't think i could even make the bag move the slightest....i know, whenever we are stressed, we can send a pm to rob, and let him go punch our stress out for us.....hmmmm might be a good idea.

Saysusie
08-19-2009, 10:30 AM
I sing...at the top of my lungs. I sing for hours sometimes. I put on my favorite songs and belt it out with them. When I don't sing..I swim (nowadays, I float more than swim - lol). Also, I try to keep myself busy doing something that I love. Mostly that includes being in musicals, plays and variety shows. So, I am always in rehearsals for something. This keeps me always around people who are energetic, excited and loving what they do.

I do hope that you are able to find a way to reduce/relieve your stress! It is important that we keep our stress at a minimum! Remember, we are always here to help you in any way that we can.

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

abbasgirl
08-19-2009, 11:20 AM
Maybe this will help too...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYs5zyM9zk8

gina
08-19-2009, 11:40 AM
I turn down the lights and light a scented candle.

if it someone causing me the stress i tell them totalk to my hand and leave me alone an i will call them when ready to talk. lol

A glass of wine if you drink.

and sometimes just a good scream or cry does the trick

hope your stress goes away soon.:yes:

rob
08-19-2009, 12:19 PM
yes, i like the punching bag idea too....but with my hands hurting the way they do, i don't think i could even make the bag move the slightest....i know, whenever we are stressed, we can send a pm to rob, and let him go punch our stress out for us.....hmmmm might be a good idea.

For me, boxing gloves allow me to use the punching bag even when my hands really hurt. It works pretty well.

mountaindreamer
08-19-2009, 03:10 PM
my gloves would have to be so cushioned that the punching bag would just laugh at my attempts.

Spanglishqueen
08-19-2009, 03:26 PM
The punching bag idea and singing at the top of your lungs idea are both of active/physical ways of letting it out, so any activity such as jogging, jump roping, riding a bike at your utmost energy level just releases it. So if you hands hurt and your feet don't run your butt off. Or go into a room and sing or if you are tone deaf like me :cute: go in a room and yell at the top of your lungs I've done this on my car on the way home...make sure not during rush hour or you will look like a loon :laugh: Also for less physical ways of getting it out I always created a special place in my mind (my ideal spot) where I would transport my mind to while taking deep breaths, there I would always feel instantly at peace. (for me it was camping at night whether on top of a mountain with a beautiful view or camping on a beach). I also go into hobbies which relax me and don't stress me, writing my thoughts in a journal, coloring, making crafts.

Hope you have a pretty big list going now that I have read everyone else's ideas I now do too.

Hope you feel better. :hug:

DrinkofWtr
08-19-2009, 05:44 PM
Thanks so much everyone for your great stress relievers. Will try them asap. I was feeling so stressed today. Also I was getting dizzy and took my blood pressure. It was pretty low on the bottom reading. Will try and get ahold of the Dr. tomorrow--too late today and find out what I need to do about this new development. Thanks again everyone and I let you know in the future how they work out for me.

abbasgirl
08-20-2009, 08:41 AM
Hey sweetie pie... how are you today? Was the doc any help?

abbasgirl
10-06-2009, 07:50 AM
Bumping to the top for Bunnie aka Deb.

SandyR
10-06-2009, 05:11 PM
I pray, cry, laugh until I am crying, scream, call a friend and talk till I am breathless, go for a walk with one of the pups from the shelter, go on a hike at one of the local parks, write what is stuck inside down on paper, cook ,clean till the house smells like clorox wipes and windex, eat something sweet or salty, go online, sing, take a shower, pray some more, call my mom and talk it out with her, or sleep.

abbasgirl
10-07-2009, 06:48 AM
Sandy...there's one I forgot to mention...praying.

I was thinking about you today while I was looking at my puppy we got from the shelter. She was sleeping, doing that cute stuff they do, mini barks in her sleep and looked like she was chasing a little too. I thought about what a big hearted person I think you are anyways...but that you also take the time to walk those poor dogs...I wish I could put a golden tiara on your pretty head and have you treated like a princess for a month!!

Thanks for helping your furry friends and your local shelter.

BTW, we named her Isabelle. :cute:

bunnie
10-07-2009, 09:48 PM
Thank you abbasgirl!
I think it helped to read all of these great suggestions, and also to know I am not the only one struggling to deal with all that life can throw at us!!
You are all such a blessing to me...
Have a great night.
Deb:cute:

abbasgirl
10-09-2009, 04:48 AM
You have such beautiful kiddos...I bet they're a great stress buster too. Thank God for kids...as the song goes.

Remember to take very good care of yourself in between things. I'm keeping you and your family in my prayers, sweetie. Keep us posted, okay?

BTW, I love the CS Lewis quote! Clive is one of my favorite authors.